Open Practice for new Southern Premier Racing Series a success

Effort to preserve asphalt racing in Texas kicks into high gear

HOUSTON, Texas (Aug. 8, 2022) — While it may have been silent for much of this year, the sights and sounds of short tack asphalt racing returned to Houston Motorsports Park's historic oval this past Saturday, as teams from the new Southern Premier Racing Series (SPRS) got their cars up to speed.

Veteran driver development program owner and longtime racing supporter John Alverson hosted an open practice session for those planning to run in the series on Saturday, and says the turnout put a smile on his face. He also says input from teams about the resurrection of this oval has been positive. 

“I was more than happy to have between 25 and 30 cars on hand,” Alverson said. “There was a lot of talk about weather conditions the night before; chances for showers ranged from 40 to 60 percent, depending on who you asked. We went ahead with our plans, and I'm sure glad we did. 

“As it turned out, we never got a drop at the track. It rained all around us, but we didn't get it at HMP. So all of our on-track time went off as scheduled. We went with five to eight minute sessions, rotating between divisions as you would on a typical race day.” 

That first actual race may be a few weeks away, but teams are already striving to find more speed. Jake Wright drives the potent No. 48 Pro Truck entry and has enjoyed a ton of success on the famed oval. 

“We had a great test session this past weekend,” Wright said. “Our truck is fast and ready for Sept. 10. I saw a lot of new faces on Saturday, it's always great seeing new racers get interested. I hope that means a bigger car count so we can put on a good show for the fans. Without them, we would have no racing. 

“I'm very excited about seeing HMP come back to life and to be a part of it. That track is very special to me and my family, and we look forward to continue racing there. I can't thank John Alverson and the Southern Premier Racing Series enough for all of the effort and hard work being put into this deal.” 

For Alverson, seeing teams on-track last weekend and putting the right people in key positions is huge. 

“I knew getting an experienced Race Director like Terry Barden and a good announcer like Chuck Lacotta would be big for us. “Terry has been calling races since the old ROMCO days, and he'll run a good, clean show. I think we have a great team assembled and the right people in place. 

“I'm super excited to go racing in Houston on September 10, and sure hope fans will come out to share the passion of asphalt oval racing with us.”

It wasn't just the race teams that did a little shakedown to their equipment on Saturday. 

“We had a lot of stuff to work through behind the scenes; things like testing Microphones, checking our scoring loops, figuring out what do we need for Tech, all of those various aspects of Operations that need to be handled. We learned some things we need to do, so our practice session was very fruitful.” 

Rounds 2 and 3 of the Fall Shootout Series are set for Oct 15 and Nov. 5, 2022. Be sure to follow the latest news from the Southern Premier Racing Series online at www.facebook.com/raceSPRS

SPRS Logo.jpg