Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational Qualifier, Dwarf Cars, Back to School Bus Rides @ I-37 Speedway 8-6-22

Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational Qualifier, Dwarf Cars, Back to School Bus Rides @ I-37 Speedway 8-6-22

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx., Aug. 6th, 2022 We're back!

After nearly a month long hiatus, I-37 Speedway was back in action on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval just outside Pleasanton with a full slate of action and activities.

Thanks to Sundowner Performance Diesel adding to the purse it was $1,000 up for grabs for the winner along with a Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational qualifying eligibility for the IMCA Modifieds. The Fast Shafts All-Star event is part of the IMCA Supernationals held in September.

Currently Jared Maupin holds the track points lead by 6 over last years champion, Ryan Doyon. Gilbert Amezquita, Robert Liese and Marlin Samford hold down the other top five spots.

In Limited Modifieds, a host of businesses and racers chipped into the pot with another $1,000 to win(10-car minimum) along with an unspecified amount of Natty Light beer. Would someone Katelyn Larson a beer in Victory Lane? Some additional money was placed on 6th-10th in the finishing order. Sorry, no mention of beer though.

Last years points champ, Sterling Tausch holds a significant lead going into the night(62) ahead of Trent Beaver with Allen Alexander two behind Beaver. Fourth through tenth is a log jam with seven racers separated by only six points.

The Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas(DCRST) returned for their second visit of the year. Dylan Budnik took home the win last time here in April. Budnik is currently second in Pro Division points behind Dustin Rude and ahead of Dillon Coyne. In the Sportsman Division it's Keith Lisher, Landon Sibery and Danielle Long in the top three.

Not to be lost in the above, the Factory Stocks, Sport Compacts and Go-Karts would be on track.

With many schools starting back up soon it was also time for the kids to hit their first bus trip with bus rides during intermission.

Henderson Hot for 1K Payday

The redraw shook up the starting line-up for the 20-lap, $1,000 to win IMCA Modified main with the two heat winners drawing high numbers. This put Hardy Henderson the pole along side Logan Dinsmore. As the lucky thirteen car field roared to green in was Henderson getting out front ahead of Dinsmore, Rick Green, Raymond McSpadden and Ryan Doyon.

A spin by Chris Morris in turns 1-2 brought a quick slow down. Back to green, Green got by Dinsmore for second while Steve Whiteaker took sixth from Brenda Kirby. Doyon was able to snag third from Dinsmore before yellow for a spin by Darrel Boyd. Back under green, Henderson got away with Doyon and Green swapping second.

Whiteaker joined the second place fight going three wide on lap 7. Green and Whiteaker then battled wheel to wheel for second with Henderson now increasing his lead. At halfway it was Henderson, Whiteaker and Green still side by side, Dinsmore and Doyon in the top five.

Whiteaker finally cleared Green on lap 14 but a full straight back. Dinsmore then moved in on Green for third. The final five laps saw Henderson(Harker Heights) pretty much keep the gap between he and Whiteaker as he rolled to the checkers in the Remax, JHR, Mid-Tex Towing, McElroy Logistics, Friesen crate powered Lethal

759505859__JRP4705(1024x683)(2).jpg.00f82a68878be10970ad531d6cb7818e.jpg

“It's been quite a few years since we've won one here,” exclaimed Henderson. “We came here about four weeks ago, finished fourth and had a good time. This just polished it off for us.”

“I knew a couple of those guys would be coming. It shows just how tough this place is. I'm very familiar with the guys that race here, wherever they go, they're up front.”

“We had a good car last time we can down here. We had a shot at winning it but got into a car, bent the front end on the first lap and it wasn't the same after that. We knew this Lethal Chassis was a good piece and we just had to keep our nose clean. I just had to do my job.”

“Last time we were here the outside line was the best. I honestly thought I was going to have my hands full trying to hang on, on the bottom. I didn't know if I could hang, but after a few laps I knew I was ok. Hang on, do your job, hit your marks.”

“This is my kind of racing knowing you can trust these guys. I've been doing this for 40 years, racing door to door, not touching, not hitting anyone. I don't like to work on the car, I just want to race it. You tear it up, you have to pay to fix it. I appreciate the guys you can race with clean, that's what makes it fun.”

“I couldn't be racing without my son(Jake) helping me get this car. He's a big part of it. It takes a team effort to get this done. I appreciate what everyone does. It's a tough time right now.”

“All these years I've been racing and I've never been to the SuperNationals. We made the remark the other day that if we make one of these Fast Shaft Invitationals, should we go? Yes, but we're going to have to see. I'd love to go since I'm getting past my prime. That's a hard trip, we'll see.”

Price Chevrolet IMCA Modifieds

163 Hardy Henderson, 89 Steve Whiteaker jr., 82 Rick Green, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, 5r Ryan Doyon, 48r Raymond McSpadden, 82c Chris Carroll, 94 Chris Morris, 22 Darrel Boyd, 94b Brenda Kirby, 715 JP Dowell, 2 Arien Gassman, 28 Marlin Samford

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 715 JP Dowell, 5 Ryan Doyon, 48r Raymond McSpadden, 82 Rick Green, 82c Chris Carroll, 22z Darrell Boyd, 28 Marlin Samford

Heat 2 ; 89 Steve Whiteaker jr., 94 Chris Morris, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, 163 Hardy Henderson, 94b Brendy Kirby, 2 Arien Gassman

Marcus on the Money

Marcus Mikulencak got a good launch at the start of the Limited Modified feature into turn 1. Behind him, Cody Beddoe, Nathan Titzman, Daniel Preston and Jared Maupin sorted out. Preston and Maupin wasted little time getting past Titzman for third and fourth. By lap 5, Mikulencak had already began to pull away from Beddoe and Preston.

At halfway it was Mikulencak, Beddoe, Preston, Maupin and Titzman in the top five with Brian Harbison getting by Sterling Tausch for sixth. Preston was able to take second from Beddoe on lap 13, but trailed Mikulencak by a big margin. Maupin was next to put Beddoe back a spot taking third on lap 17.

An infield tire kicked on the track brought the yellow on lap 18, erasing Mikulencak's huge lead. Cautions breed cautions. On the restart Beddoe, Tausch, James Cole and Lupe Gomez tangled. Back to green with Mikulencak(Corpus Christi) quickly getting away from Preston and Maupin and grabbing the victory in the Premier Minerals, Ace Transmission, Vinco Plumbing, RPM Construction, On Demand Shirts, Mattress Firm, All in Designs, Swenson Racing Shocks, GT Sirozzoti, L87 Speedway, IRP Chassis.

379787806__JRP4573(1024x683)(2).jpg.b187b1d3dd8e0a974054f703f9c39ef6.jpg

State Farm Insurance Limited Modifieds

879 Marcus Mikulencak, bd2 Daniel Preston, 91 Jared Maupin, 77 Cody Beddoe, 1t Nathan Titzman, 11x Brian Harbison, 95 Sterling Tausch, 7 Lupe Gomez, 14 James Cole

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 879 Marcus Mikulencak, 1t Nathan Titzman, 14 James Cole, 91 Jared Maupin, 7 Lupe Gomez

Heat 2; 77 Cody Beddoe, bd2 Daniel Preston, 95s Sterling Tausch, 11x Brian Harbison

Gold for Gaither in Factory Stock Fling

It was Jared Maupin getting off turn 4 to lead the 20-lap Factory Stock feature chased by Johnny Torres, Cameron Dinsmore and Frank Okruhlik with Allen Alexander and Paul Reyes side by side for fifth. Reyes, Brandon Gaither and Kasey Krauss were three wide for sixth when Okruhlik and Alexander hooked bumpers sending Alexander around for a caution.

Okruhlik was sent to the tail, Alexander got his spot back. Under the caution Torres pulled off from second with motor trouble.

Once back to green, Gaither picked off third from Dinsmore with Krauss following along to fourth. Gaither then caught Alexander for second with the two dicing it out side by side giving Maupin the opportunity to pull away. Krauss would half spin collecting Dinsmore, Kyle Kirkland, Johnny Brown and Okruhlik.

Green wasn't back out long when Dinsmore and Reyes made contact sending Reyes into Mike Lyon who would spin in turn 4 while Brown and Robert Keylich were going for spins in turn 2. On the restart, Gaither began pressuring Maupin for the lead looking low off the corners. Gaither got along side Maupin on lap 11, and got the bumper by when yellow waved for a chunk of lead on the track.

Gaither would get away on the restart while Maupin now had Okruhlik, making his way up from the tail, were door to door for second. As Gaither eased away, Krauss closed on the second place scrap looking to go three wide. Gaither built a half straight lead and looked to be headed for the win, but Keylich looped it for a late yellow.

As Gaither took off and chose the low line, Maupin jumped to the top looking to give Gaither a run to the checkers. Gaither(San Antonio) had the preferred line as was able to keep Maupin at bay for the victory in the Ronnie Schoenfeldt owned, SoTex Motorsports, Spreen Racing Engines powered, Outlaw Chassis.

953402107__JRP4444(1024x683)(2).jpg.11afa6490646b6998b1c0e4a919997dd.jpg

98 Brandon Gaither, 91 Jared Maupin, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 53k Kasey Krauss, 24 Paul Reyes, 3d Johnny Brown, 25f Robert Fox, 92r Robert Keylich, 99 Allen Alexander, 20 Mike Lyon, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 10 Scott Jerkins, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 15L Daniel Lopez, 66 Johnny Torres, 38k Billy Kinneman, 44 Austin Bean---dns

“Racing with Jared(Maupin) was a blast,” replied Gaither. “I'm pretty good friends with him and we talk all the time. He's pretty stout here. To be able to beat him, here, is a notch in my cap. I won one last March, but it's been a while since I've been in a dirt car. With Ronnie(Schoenfeldt) at a fund raiser in Helotes we just brought this car out here to have some fun.”

“I started seventh and just missed the wrecks. You just ride it out and whatever happens, happens at the end of the day. I almost got in the wreck in turn 3. You just keep digging at it.”

“These Outlaw cars are fast, he(Justin Whitehead) has got them dialed in. That car was wrecked two years ago. It was going to be shipped off to the scrap yard, but we brought it back to life.” Back to life indeed!

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 66 Johnny Torres, 99 Allen Alexander, 98 Brandon Gaither, 15L Daniel Lopez, 92r Robert Keylich, 10 Scott Jerkins, 44 Austin Bean---dns

Heat 2; 91 Jared Maupin, 24 Paul Reyes, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 53k Kasey Krauss, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 20 Mike Lyon, 3d Johnny Brown, 25f Robert Fox, 38k Billy Kinneman---dns

Budnik Best in Dwarf Car Bash

The 20-lap DCRST feature got off to a rocky start with Dustin Rude getting the early jump, but 4-wide in turn 2 behind him didn't work out well with Chris Ochoa going around and Danielle Long over the berm for a complete restart. Rude again got the jump on Dylan Budnik, Ty Paxson, Cauy Moore and James Pena. A tangle between Mikey Land and Duane Burford brought the yellow quickly back out on lap 1.

On the restart, C. Moore got third from Paxson with Brandon Sibery following to fourth. Sibery continued his move forward taking third from C. Moore. Up front, Rude and Budnik were easing away. As the lead duo caught heavy traffic Budnik got by Rude who made contact in turn 3 sending Budnik around. Budnik would retain the lead with Rude sent to the back.

Coming to halfway on the restart showing Budnik, Sibery, C. Moore, Ochoa and Brandon Spreen in the top five. Sibery, Paxson and Ochoa all had separate spins on lap 11 for another caution. The scheduled 20 lapper was cut to 15 due to time by officials. Budnik(Boerne) would get a good restart and be able to take the win in his Sky Haulers, DALCO, Suzuki GSXR 1000, B&B Chassis.

514025503__JRP4529(1024x683)(2).jpg.ec0a4983b987f643fe69e230015c529f.jpg

Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas

25 Dylan Budnik, 22c Cauy Moore, 88 Brandon Spreen, 15 Ty Paxson, 12n Keith Lisher, 1k Keagan Moore, 41t Dustin Rude, 18f Chad Fusilier, 0 Chris Ochoa, 3 James Pena, 8 Landon Falkenberg, 2 Jerry Book, 72 Landon Sibery, 14r Duane Burford, 93 Adam Stehle, 5 Charles Davidson, 7 Ron Theel, 95 Kristin Stehle, 08 Danielle Long, 48 Mikey Land

DCRST heats

Heat 1; 15 Ty Paxson, 22c Cauy Moore, 88 Brandon Spreen, 18s Chad Fusilier, 2 Jerry Book, 95 Kristin Stehle, 5 Charles Davidson

Heat 2; 41t Dustin Rude, 25 Dylan Budnik, 0 Chris Ochoa, 12n Kieth Lisher, 8 Landon Falkenberg, 93 Adam Stehle, 7 Ron Theel

Heat3; 72 Landon Sibery, 3 James Pena, 1k Keagan Moore,48 Mikey Land, 08 Danielle Long, 14r Duane Burford

Ryker Rides to Win #2

The start of the 20-lap Sport Compact feature saw polesitter Ryker Hernandez get a good jump over Justin Sitterle who fell back to fifth. Behind R. Hernandez were Robert Kelm, Levi Hernandez and Jamie Garner. L. Hernandez and Garner quickly got past Kelm for second and third, but Garner gave the spot a lap later along with fourth to Sitterle.

At halfway R. Hernandez had built a good advantage over L. Hernandez, Kelm, Sitterle and Garner. Lap 13 saw yellow for Shaun Tracy looping it in turn 2. The restart saw a top five shake up, while R. Hernandez got away, L. Hernandez slowed from second and Sitterle pulled off. L. Hernandez brought out a yellow as he coasted to a stop on the track edge.

On the restart, R. Hernandez got away while Garner and Kelm fought for second. As that duo ran door to door, R. Hernandez increased his lead. As the white flag waved, R. Hernandez(San Antonio) had half straightaway edge cruising to the win in his Irace Enterprises, Reflective Wrecker, TLC Graphics, Unifirst, 2005 Chevy Cavalier.

1621561529__JRP4623(1024x683)(2).jpg.0eb49f3c0669416d888bb81bdb6d16a9.jpg

“I wasn't really worried about where anyone else was or line they were running,” commented Hernandez. “Just focused ahead. I was a little concerned after they watered the track before our feature. The top side was really wet. All you can is find the line with the least amount of water on it, it's is all you can do.”

Sport Compacts

55 Ryker Hernandez, 8 Robert Kelm, 33 Jamie Garner, 70 Rod Tait, 3% Sam Walker, 76y Donald Lewis, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 21t Shaun Tracy, 32 Joshua Garcia, 28 Levi Hernandez, 88 Justin Sitterle, 35 John Thomas---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 55 Ryker Hernandez, 8 Robert Kelm, 21t Shaun Tracy, 32 Joshua Garcia, 3% Sam Walker, 70 Rod Tait---dns

Heat 2; 88 Justin Sitterle, 28 Levi Hernandez, 33 Jamie Garner, 76y Donald Lewis, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 35 John Thomas

Go-Karts

Adult Predator; Andy VanBlarcum, Jimbo VanBlarcum, Noah VanBlarcum, John Hernandez, Ryker Hernandez, Kiehl VanBlarcum, Brandon Stevens, Dillon Gaither

Senior Division; Gage Urbansky, Abigayl Zambanatti, Blaine Markgraf

Junior Division; Beau Payton, Tucker Kempe, Cheston Markgraf, Allison Borlace, Cecilli Johnson

Youth Division; Adolph Tracy, Jayden Gray