Rodney Rodriguez returns to racing this Saturday at Texana

Texas racing personality Rodney Rodriguez to run Pure Stock race at Texana Raceway
Former asphalt racer, respected radio show host puts Spotlight on entry-level division

ROUND ROCK, Texas (July 26, 2022) — Well known motor sports radio show host and former Central Texas asphalt racer Rodney Rodriguez is about to make a return to the driver's seat, as the beloved host of the Revved Up Sports Show (RUSS) goes Pure Stock racing at Texana Raceway Park. 

Rodriguez, 51, is climbing behind the wheel once again this Saturday night, July 30, to showcase the exciting entry-level division in hopes it will draw new faces to the sport. Pure Stock utilizes a rules package that keeps costs low, while still maintaining a high level of competition and plenty of fun. 

“I have been offered chances to climb into various cars in recent years, but was always reluctant,” an honest Rodriguez said. “I know I'll probably be way off the pace, but I just want folks to take a good look at a class I firmly believe is an ideal place to start in short track racing. 

“Owen has always been proactive at Texana, with an eye towards drawing new faces to the sport. Pure Stock is still where the rapidly-growing Factory Stock started out; fairly affordable and mostly stock in nature. I'm pretty excited to climb in one and see how it feels. I may be a bit rusty after all these years.” 

Rodriguez used to drive a Super Stock entry at Central Texas Raceway in Kyle, Texas, back in the day. His familiar number 4 machine was a fan favorite, and he had a blast racing with his father (Ben) all over Central and South Texas. When asphalt racing went away, he picked up the microphone. 

“I kinda knew my voice would carry me way further in this sport than my driving talent ever would,” he admitted. “The sport was changing, things were changing in my life and it was simply time to step away. I miss the adrenaline rush, the competition side of it. But my place is in the booth, or my studio.” 

Rodriguez will pilot a car owned by Tony Blankenship, a man who supports this division in a big way. 

As host of the Revved Up Sports Show, Rodriguez and co-host Bobby Chaffee, another former asphalt racer (High 5 Racing/Legends) go Live at 6:30 p.m. CST every Monday night without fail to discuss racing news on the local, regional and National level. It's a lively 90-minute format that features in-depth Live interviews with drivers, team owners, promoters and others involved in the racing industry. 

In 2020, the Revved Up Sports Show and its media partner Race On Texas created the Texas Short Track Promoter-of-the-Year Award. This award recognizes outstanding efforts in short track racing promotion within the Lone Star State. Texana's Owen Pittman won the inaugural POTY award, while Rob & Libby Poor of Abilene Speedway were the recipients in 2021. 

In 2021, the two leading Texas media entities created the Texas Short Track Driver-of-the-Year award, with two categories to recognize both weekly and touring series drivers. Matthew Day was the inaugural DOTY recipient in Weekly action, while Rodney Sanders won the award in Touring series.

Follow the Revved Up Sports Show all season long at www.revvedupsportsshow.com

(Autograph card image courtesy of Rachel Plant)

Rodney Rodriguez - T. Blankenship Pure Stock.jpg