The 2022 GCRS Racing Season at HMP has been canceled. With the loss of the Mazda Spec class we are unable to keep racing at HMP under our current track agreement. This new series was a last ditch effort to help cover the cost of our event rent needed to open the gates and allow us to have a decent purse for the racers. But with what we are experiencing in the racing industry with parts availability, cost of fuel etc - those guys just cannot afford to risk racing at a track that could impact their current local racing programs. I get that and do not blame them at all for not being able to take on more racing commitments.
Upon this news, I immediately reached out to HMP and tried to negotiate a new deal that would help us be able to keep a short track racing program going at HMP. I asked for complete rental of the facility, concessions and all. We bring our own insurance, rental fee and run everything for a race day, same as MIS. But ,they just cannot do that. At the same time, we just cannot afford to keep trying to make it work.
I apologize to the racers, this is a very tough call for me as it leaves no true asphalt oval track racing in Texas. I have been pretty transparent with our struggles this past season. We weathered Covid, bad weather and Covid again . But our ability to continue to weather the new challenges our industry faces require a much better deal and/or a vested interest from the track ownership into making the oval thrive. It is just not something they are able to offer us right now.
Knowing racers needed options, here are some things I put together:
Option 1: There is a practice day booked at the NASCAR Tri Oval at MSR - Motorsports Ranch on 288 South coming up July 9th. With another booked in August. Any racer that cannot travel outside of Texas to race may like this option. This test day and driver participation will help us consider options moving forward. It is a beautiful facility and we have flexibility with how we put on the event. It is reserved for 2p- 8pm. I understand this is not an option for everyone, but if you will not be traveling to race and want to race, I urge you to give it a shot. Years ago when HMP closed for a while, quite a few racers did this successfully. It is quite different and not the same as racing as we know it. BUT it is still racing and will keep you enjoying the sport. We will engage teams soon to measure interest and build a plan for the July 9 practice day.
Option 2 - We have brought every class running at HMP to Mobile. I will offer MIS entry discounts, pit pass discounts to all the racers that raced with us at HMP OR up to $200 in tow Monroe’s which ever is greater.
Option 3 - Modifieds I have attached below, a schedule for your class at MIS and SAS - South Alabama Speedway. We do not race our MIS Mods on the same night as them, so I encourage you guys to give it a shot. I watched their Mod guys race and could not help but think the Texas Mods would be an awesome addition to their local show! The fans are just like HMP's fans. All of you race hard and clean, making it fantastic racing. Please consider it even if you can only budget one trip! I am confident it will motivate you to race there more. You also have the MOM series racing, a little more investment on the competition side, and travel. But also great racing shows.
Option 4 - take the budget you had for 3 HMP races and find a new track to race. Try 5 Flags out during the derby week? Use the budget for another big race at a bucket list track.
Option 5 - Higher entry fees from racers to cover rental costs & extra track fees HMP requires. Car count would determine the entry fee to make sure rent is covered.
Option 6 - Go dirt track racing. You have 105, Cotton Bowl, I 37 - Eco Stocks you guys have been flip flopping back and forth for a long time. Maybe help another.
I hate to end things like this for HMP, but I literally explored every avenue I could to keep it going. Every single one. This is where we are for right now for and I am very sorry to the HMP racers there stuck in this position. But I cannot keep overcoming the challenges with a deal that puts us at risk every single time. Losing this new series makes it impossible to make things work under the current HMP deal structure.
I will refund any/all entry fees for HMP or I can apply them to the first practice at MSR on July 9th if you wish OR apply them tires when you come race at MIS. You can text me or email me to let me know. If you post it below sometimes FB hides them and it may get lost.

What a shame. Another situation where nobody wins. The last 30 months have been incredibly destructive for everyone, and I don't see things getting better any time soon. Even though I wasn't born here, I'm a Texan. I've been around the world and back a couple of times. But I've got more years here Tham anywhere else. God willing, this is where I'll die. Texans can overcome anything. Therefore I believe asphalt racing will return to Texas. I don't know when or how, but I believe that. I've heard that they worked really had trying to keep racing going at HMP. Thank You for all your efforts!!