Hercules 30, plus Late Models @ I-37 Speedway 6/4/22

Hercules 30, plus Late Models @ I-37 Speedway 6/4/22

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(June 4th, 2022)

Summer Kick-Off begins.

As the weather heats up so does the action at I-37 Speedway, the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval south of San Antonio. This weekend sees a big show for the All in Designs Factory Stocks, with the Hercules 30, sponsored by Hercules Foundation Repair & Remodeling.

A $2,000 payday awaits the winner of the 30-lap event with $100 to start the feature. On top of the pay out, over twenty companies and people have added contingencies to every feature finish position, plus awards for hard charger and longest tow.

If that wasn't enough excitement for one night, the Late Models return to action that have seen a newcomer looking to end the reign of Brandon Brzozowski. Last race Ray Doyon put on a late charge but fell only about 6” short of defeating Brzozowski in the 20-lapper.

Extra money was up from grabs in the IMCA Modifieds too, with Sundowner Diesel Performance upping the winners share to $700. Alamo Hot Rod Parts also kicked in $100 on top for IMCA Mods, Limited Mods, E-Mod and Sport Compacts.

Whitehead Wins a Wild One

The 30-lap Hercules 30 Factory Stock main event was a little rocky at the start, but the NASCAR-type, side by side restarts, kept in entertaining. As the green waved it was pole sitter Dalton Faulkner first to turn 1 trailed by Justin Whitehead, Jared Maupin, Mike Lyon and Mason Casteneda. An infield tractor tire brought out a lap 1 caution.

Faulkner and Whitehead stayed door to door on the restart until Memphis Villareal looped it on lap 3 for a caution. Back to green, Whitehead used the top off turn 2 to get a run and by Faulkner for the lead on lap 4. Casteneda was able to take fourth from Lyon followed by Johnny Torres to fifth.

Maupin worked his way under Faulkner for second with the two side by side until a Michael Keylich spin on lap 7 slowed the pace. Maupin used the restart to clear Faulkner and get a run on Whitehead for the lead, but contact between Dakota Hurley and Casteneda sent Casteneda around collecting Keylich, Villareal and Dillon Spreen.

As Whitehead got away back under green, Torres, Maupin and Faulkner were three wide for second. They stayed three abreast for a lap until Torres took second with Maupin third and Faulkner fourth. Albert Medellin pulled to a stop on lap 12 in turn 4. Once back to racing, coming to halfway it was Whitehead, Torres, Maupin and Faulkner door to door, with Cameron Starry making it into the top five.

Maupin and Faulkner continued to run door to door for five laps until Daniel Lopez spun for a lap 20 caution. When green waved, Torres tried to get the nose under Whithead in turn 2, but couldn't get by falling back along side Maupin for third. Faulkner then tried to dive under Whitehead on lap 24, then trying the middle on lap 25. Behind them Maupin and Torres were side by side for third.

Dillon Gaither lost an axle on lap 26 and spun setting up shootout to the finish. Whitehead got away clean leaving Maupin and Faulkner side by side for second. As the white flag waved, Whitehead(Texarkana) had two car lengths on Maupin scoring the $2,000 victory in his W&W Timber, A&T Delivery, Briscoe Windows, Vines Construction, raceontexas, Best Race Engines, Outlaw Race Cars.1416440253__JRP3451(1024x683)(2).jpg.725793af7b49d74202f0e435d480350c.jpg

'Hercules 30' All in Design Factory Stocks

36j Justin Whitehead, 91 Jared Maupin, 27 Dalton Faulkner, 199 Johnny Torres, 24 Paul Reyes, 174 Cameron Starry, 30 Memphis Villareal, 34h Talon Minten, 20 Mike Lyon, 11x Brian Harbison, 40 Dakota Hurley, 98 Dillon Spreen, 3d Robby Minten, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 15 Daniel Lopez, 53k Kasey Krauss, 99 Dillon Gaither, 538 Albert Medellin, 55 Cody Clark, 28m Mason Casteneda, 92r Michael Keylich, 777 GW Hessong---dns

“We had a pretty good car,” explained Whitehead. “We may have been holding everybody up a little at the start, but I didn't want to get up off the bottom and make them go around me on the top. This is a fun place. I really want to thank everyone for inviting us.”

“I actually keep up with a lot the racers down here. I watch a lot of raceontexas and stuff like that. I know who we're racing with are super respectful guys. (Johnny)Torres and (Jared)Maupinare really good drivers so I never was worried.”

“A lot of time you're just searching for a line that's better than there's. Tonight I just got there before everyone else. That was the key. Opportunity and experience helped me a ton. We were way to tight when it was sticky earlier.”

“We definitely had a hot rod in the factory stock feature.” added runner -up Maupin. “It was early and I knew I could close in and stayed glued to (Justin) Whitehead. But once we dropped a cylinder I was really having to be perfect without losing too much momentum. The starts were tough cause I just couldn’t get going like them, but after a lap I could really find my rhythm to keep the motor wound up. I can count that as a win in my head, going neck and neck with the best in the business.”

Factory Stock B-mains(top 7 to A)

B-Main 1; 199 Johnny Torres, 24h Talon Minten, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 30 Memphis Villareal, 99 Dillon Gaither, 3d Robby Minten, 113 Max Calles McDonald, 02 Shannon Maurer, 75 Jerry Miller

B-main 2; 53k Kasey Krauss, 11x Brain Harbison, 40 Dakota Hurley, 98 Dillon Spreen, 538 Albert Medellin, 55c Cody Clark, 777 GW Hessong, 15 Aaron Leddy---dns, 29 Jose Lopez jr---dns

Factory Stock heats(top 2 to A main)

Heat 1; 27 Dalton Faulkner, 28m Mason Cateneda, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 99 Dillon Gaither, 30 Memphis Villareal, 75 Jerry Miller, 02 Shannon Maurer

Heat 2; 20 Mike Lyon, 92r Michael Keylich, 11x Brian Harbison, 53k Kasey Krauss, 29 Jose Lopez jr., 777 GW Hessong, 15 Aaron Leddy

Heat 3; 36j Justin Whitehead, 24 Paul Reyes, 199 Johnny Torres, 113 Max Calles McDonald, 34h Talon Minten, 3d Robby Minten

Heat 4; 91 Jared Maupin, 741 Cameron Starry, 40 Dakota Hurley, 98 Dillon Spreen, 538 Albert Medillin, 55c Cody Clark

Doyon Dominates for Late Model Loot

Before the start of the 20-lap Late Model feature even started, pole sitter Eddy Hardage had a right rear go flat forcing him to pit. This moved Kody Hardage up to the front row along side Ray Doyon. K. Hardage got the edge going into turn 1, but it was Doyon, up top, leading lap 1 with K. Hardage, Barry Quade, Jamie Campbell and Ryan McDonald in tow.

Doyon had an issue and tried to get to the infield just as K. Hardage was looking low, forcing him into the infield. Doyon would pull up and stop in turn 4 calling for safety crews for a potential fuel leak. Once determined it was only water overflow, Doyon was able to continue at the rear. With K. Hardage now on point, Doyon quickly got back into the top five on green.

After a Jason Kelly spin, Doyon got a good run off turn 2 going past Quade and Campbell for second with AJ Wernette following to third on another restart. Doyon then began looking inside K. Hardage for the lead and coming to halfway the two were side by side with Wernette, Campbell and Quade in the top five.

Doyon was able to secure the top spot on lap 11 and start to pull away. In the waning laps, Wernette ran down K. Hardage for second and kept the heat on until the finish. Out front, it was Doyon(LaCoste) with a half straightaway lead taking the victory in the Ewing Landscape & Irrigation Supplies, Alamo Truck Accessories, 89 Motorsports, CD Tire Shop, Supreme Vinyl Works, 3D Landscape, 604 powered MB Customs Chassis.

“This was awesome,” commented Doyon. “By far this is probably the funnest car, and easiest car, I've ever driven. When I bought this car from Whiteaker his only advice was 'don't lift.' I've gone with that and the 14” tires, the car being light, and there's so much suspension under that it make's an old washed up guy like me look pretty good.”

“The car felt good in both lines, I found a little moisture on the bottom of (turns) 1-2. I was able to drive it in deep, just as deep as him on top. I kept showing him the nose hoping he would try it. In reality I knew the top was better. I was playing a little cat-n-mouse with him. Not too much of mental games with him. Once I got to the outside, I ran the ridge and hit my marks.”

“My left leg was feeling a little hot and I started getting liquid on my helmet. I was really nervous that it was fuel, so I thought I was on fire. I tried to go to the infield and accidentally hit Kody(Hardage). I couldn't go that way so I just pulled up top and stopped.”

“The car has something going on, I hope it's nothing major. I'll take it down to Steve Whiteaker's shop and let him take a look at it. I really hope I didn't hurt it bad.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

9 Ray Doyon III, 12 Kody Hardage, 37 AJ Wernette, 19 Barry Quade, 77 Mark Taylor, 29 Jamie Campbell, 5 Ryan McDonald, 57 Jason Kelly, 78 Eddy Hardage---dntg, 08 Andrew Hesler---dns, 7x Rory Jordan---dns

Late Model heats

Heat 1; 78 Eddy Hardage, 12 Kody Hardage, 77 Mark Taylor, 29 Jamie Campbell, 57 Jason Kelly, 08 Andrew Hesler

Heat 2; 9 Ray Doyon, 19 Barry Quade, 5 Ryan McDonald, 37 AJ Wernette, 7x Rory Jordan

Modified Mayhem Money to Maupin

The 20-lap IMCA Modified feature was a barn burner throughout. On green, Brandon Welker from row 2, made a power move to take the lead ahead of Rick Green, Marlin Samford, Chandler Fox and Ryan Doyon. Green got by Welker on lap 3 for the lead while Fox followed along to second until a Samford spin brought out a yellow erasing the pass.

On the restart, Green used the high side off turn 4 to retake the point while Logan Dinsmore, Ryan Doyon and Welker were three wide for fourth. Chris Carroll joined the fight going three wide with Doyon and Welker. Lap 6 saw Carroll, Fox, Doyon and Welker four abreast for second. That action didn't calm down with Dinsmore joining the second place scrap with Carroll and Doyon in a three wide battle.

A spin by Gilbert Amezquita slowed the pace and gave everyone a chance to breathe. INHALE! On the restart, Doyon took third from Dinsmore with Jared Maupin following to fourth. At the crossed flags it was Green, Doyon, Carroll, Maupin and Dinsmore in the top five. Doyon began to look low on Green for the lead while Maupin got by Carroll for third.

Doyon, Green and Maupin were three wide for the top spot on lap 13. It was still door to door for the lead between Doyon and Maupin when yellow waved for Robert Liese finding the front stretch wall. On the restart, Dinsmore got by Carroll for fourth while Maupin was using the top for a run on Doyon for the lead.

Dinsmore would have a front suspension failure sending him high off turns 1-2 before pulling off. Maupin was still trying to complete the pass on Doyon as the finals laps approached. With two to go, Maupin(San Antonio) finally got clear of Doyon and snagged the win the RNM Install, Grays Recycling, crate powered, Kraft Chassis.

“That modified race was a blast!” exclaimed Maupin. “I knew I had a good car, just trying to get around traffic and just go where they aren’t was my plan. When I finally got to 3rd I knew I had to hammer the top of (turns)1-2 if I wanted to get to the lead. I pretty much just committed to the top and had a huge running off the exit of (turn)2 which made us 3 wide for the lead and luckily came out untouched in the lead!”

Price Chevrolet IMCA Modifieds

bd1 Jared Maupin, 5r Ryan Doyon, 82c Chris Carroll, 82 Rick Green, 77 Robert Liese jr., 22 Darrell Boyd, 53x Chandler Fox, 28 Marlin Samford, 56 Gilbert Amezquita, 44x Brandon Welker, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, a2 Arien Gassman

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 82 Rick Green, bd1 Jared Maupin, 53x Chandler Fox, 44x Brandon Welker, a2 Arien Gassman, 56 Gilbert Amezquita

Heat 2; 5r Ryan Doyon, 8jr Logan Dinsmore, 82c Chris Carroll, 22 Darrell Boyd, 28 Marlin Samford, 77 Robert Liese

Minten on the Money in Limited Mods

At the start of the 15-lap Limited Modified feature it was Allen Alexander getting out front trailed by Talon Minten, Sterling Tausch, Max Calles McDonald and Sherrill Lewis. Trent Beaver and Gilbert Perez tangled for a restart. Alexander again jumped out front while Tausch and Minten battled for second.

After taking control of second, Minten began pressuring Alexander for the lead and got the top spot on lap 5 while McDonald took third from Tausch. At halfway it was Minten, McDonald taking second from Alexander, Tausch and Lewis. Minten(Seguin) in the 3D Landscaping, LaCoste Meat Market, All in Designs, Sheppards Race Engines, IRP Chassis pulled away to a half straightaway lead as he took the checkers.

“If found the top line,” said Minten. “Allen Alexander left it open so I took it. This is the first time out in this car in about two years. I don't know if anything we used back then works today. I've been in a Modified so long I can't remember. I didn't really change anything on it, pretty much left it the way it was.”

“The Modifieds just too expensive so I went back to a Limited Mod. This is probably just a one time deal anyway. I probably won't bring it out here much. I'm kind of taking a break.”

State Farm Insurance Limited Modifieds

2 Talon Minten, 148 Max Calles McDonald, 99 Allen Alexander, 95 Sterling Tausch, 7k Sherrill Lewis, bd1 Gilbert Perez, 14 Trent Beaver

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 99 Allen Alexander, bd1 Gilbert Perez, 2 Talon Minten, 95 Sterling Tausch, 7k Sherrill Lewis, 148 Max Calles McDonald, 14 Trent Beaver

Titzman Tops in E-mods

Gilbert Perez was first to turn 1 at the start of the 15-lap E-Mod feature but Daniel Taylor, Brad Waddups JD Legg got tangled in turn 4. The next start saw Perez again get out front with Cooper Koliba, Waddups and Caden Valenta three wide for second. Nathan Titzman collected an infield tire for a quick caution that saw Legg and Perez battle for the lead on the restart.

Titzman, who restarted at the back, quickly picked off spots getting back to second. Coming to halfway it was Perez, being pressured by Titzman, Legg, Valenta and Koliba. Titzman was able to take the lead from Perez on lap 8 while Koliba took fourth from Valenta. Once out front, Titzman(Corpus Christi) was able to motor away giving the 15 year old his first I-37 Speedway win in the Mattress Firm, Ace Transmission, Vinco Plumbing, All in Designs, crate powered Empire Chassis.

“I was just being smooth, hitting my marks and rolling around the bottom,” said Titzman. “I've only raced about ten times in this class, before that I ran a Pure Stock a few times, not too long, maybe a year.”

“I just try to run my line and keep the car straight. I felt like I had the bottom covered, but you always wonder if anyone is finding a better line. As long as I held my lane I didn't think anyone could go around me.”

“I have to thank my uncle Marcus Mikulencak for help on the car, Joe Aramendia for sponsoring my motor.”

E-Mods

Nathan Titzman, 3 Gilbert Perez, 30 JD Legg, 04 Cooper Koliba, 44v Caden Valenta, 34w Brad Waddups, 68t Daniel Taylor

E-Mod heats

Heat 1; 3 Gilbert Perez, L87 Nathan Titzman, 04 Cooper Koliba, 44v Caden Valenta, 30 JD Legg, 34w Brad Waddups, 68t Daniel Taylor

Trimble Triumphs Despite Trouble

The B Factory Stock feature saw heat race winner, Makayla Trimble get a good jump at the green to take command of the 15-lapper. Daniel Lopez, Johnny Brown, James Wofford, Robert Fox and Donald Kinnaman sorted out in pursuit. As the top three began to pull away, Lopez did a 360 giving up spots to Brown and Wofford. Lopez would spin again for a yellow a lap later.

Back to green coming to halfway showing Trimble, starting to ease ahead, Lopez working back to second, Brown, Wofford and Fox. With five to go, Trimble began to slow slightly with mechanical issues. Brown would spin and get collected for a late caution. Once back to green, Trimble(Victoria) was able to hold off Wofford for the win in the Last Minute Racing, Rock Motors, Chevy, despite having the brakes go away.

B Factory Stocks

39 Makayla Trimble, 95j James Wofford, 25f Robert Fox, 15 Daniel Lopez, 3d Johnny Brown, 38k Donald Kinnaman

B Factory Stock heat; 39 Makayla Trimble, 15 Daniel Lopez, 3d Johnny Brown, 95j James Wofford, 25f Robert Fox, 38k Donald Kinnaman

Fireball Ryker Races to First Feature Win

The 20-lap Sport Compact feature saw Ryker Hernandez jump out front, but Sam Walker had mechanical trouble and stopped in turn 3. On the restart Justin Sitterle was slow to go from second, with Jamie Garner, Robert Kelm, Levi Hernandez and Michael Burris sr. getting past. As the top six broke away, L. Hernandez got by Garner for second.

Kelm, Sitterle and Burris went three wide for fourth before sorting out. At the mid point it was R. Hernanez, L. Hernandez, Garner, Sitterle and Burris in the top five. Garner and L. Hernandez were side by side for second when Joshua Garcia stopped in turn 1 for caution. Under yellow the two brothers, running one-two, exchanged greetings as it were.

Once back to green L. Hernandez and Garner started a side by side fight for second that would last the remaining circuits. This gave R. Hernandez(San Antonio) some breathing room to take the checkers in his Irace Enterprises, Reflective Wrecker, TLC Graphics, Unifirst, 2005 Chevy Cavalier. The 16 year old R. Hernandez, who saw his car erupt in flames a year or two ago, scored his first ever Sport Compact win receiving hugs from his father and flagman(Jeremy) and brother in the front stretch celebration.

“This is my first win this year in Sport Compacts,” replied Hernandez. “I think I grew a bigger set to finally hang on and win one. I just drove it as hard as I could. I wasn't worried about where Jamie(Garner) was at all. I was more worried about my brother taking me out. We exchanged a few greetings under that one caution. Giving each other some love.”

Sport Compacts

55 Ryker Hernandez, 33 Jamie Garner, 28 Levi Hernandez, 8 Robert Kelm, 70 Rod Tait, 35 John Thomas, 75 Chad Miller, 76yo Donald Lewis, 21t Shaun Tracy, 88 Justin Sitterle, 18 Michael Burris sr., 32 Joshua Garcia, 3% Sam Walker

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 88 Justin Sitterle, 70 Rod Tait, 8 Robert Kelm, 18 Michael Burris sr., 75 Chad Miller, 21t Shaun Tracy, 3% Sam Walker

Heat 2; 55 Ryker Hernandez, 33 Jamie Garner, 28 Levi Hernandez, 35 John Thomas, 76y Donald Lewis, 32 Joshua Garcia

Go-Karts

Adult Predator; Noah VanBlarcum, Joseph Montemayor, Cody Clegg, Brian Marquard

Senior Division; Charles Flanagan, Zoey Flores

Junior Division; Kaden Pacheco, Ryder Welker, Beau Payton, Cecilii Johnson

Edited by rebelracewriter