Memorial Day Shootout Featuring the Southern United Sprint Series Presented by DAM Services

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to just add a few notes and personal reflections about last night. First off, thank you to Owen for getting the show in at all and relatively minor areas of wetness. In the past, if Corpus got 1.5-2" on race week, forget Saturday. Don't construe that as a knock towards previous promoters, that is not the intention of that comment. Those of us that have been around that property for any length of time knows that it's typically a soup bowl, especially in the pits. I know the track was heavier than normal but was conducive to good racing and made the drivers work to find different lines rather than hug the tires so from a fan's perspective, kudos to all involved in the prep.

The running joke down here if Corpus ever needs rain, schedule a sprint car race. Even though SUS is a 305 series, those guys put on a pretty good show. Hated to see three of their top drivers have issues so early, one losing a motor and two others with a wild ride on the first lap. Glad all drivers were ok and seemingly will work on putting their cars together and getting back at it.

Praising Owen and SUS Sprints, I have to commend Owen for calling to attention a touching tribute SUS driver Willy Reed had on the top wing and Reed's humbleness in his interview. Most, if not all of us are well aware of the unfortunate events in Uvalde earlier in the week. Mr. Reed had added each of the victims' names to his top wing as a great tribute and to honor their memory. When Owen complimented his tribute, Reed deflected saying, "I don't deserve any recognition, it's about those names and their families." Glad Reed had a good top 5 run to honor those in Uvalde and do it in such a classy way.  Also along those lines was the run Kent Lewis had and earned the crowd's respect when revealing his age. 

Now for my personal kudos. I know the tech pad wasn't friendly for Stephan Danielsen but for him to finally get to the front knowing all of the problems he's had with that car. For those that don't know, Stephan drives an "old school" type of car, not the purpose built chassis that are predominately featured in the Factory Stock class. I've known Stephan and the family a good while and worked with him during the Street Stock Shootout days and they've always treated me well and with respect. Even with the great disappointment, I was standing by in the tech pad to congratulate him when the decision was made by the tech official, Stephan himself grabbed the trophy and handed it to the long time Chuck Perry crew member, Don, since Chuck was grabbing something from the trailer. Stephan, I know you are disappointed but hope you can correct the issue and get back out there and prove old school can still kick a$$.

That leads me to Mr. Perry. Along with Stephan, you'll be hard pressed to find someone that had worse racing luck than these two gentlemen so I'm proud to say two of the hardest working drivers and crews were up front and hope to see both back up there soon. Another driver that seems to do more with less and has had his fair share of struggles and bad luck is Jesse Sandoval. Was really good to see him have a strong run and be able to finish the night on the tech pad. HiTech, was definitely thinking about you when he finished in the Top 5.

Gilbert Perez III was on rails in both classes and had the clean sweep. 4 races entered, 4 wins and just the 3rd time in a Limited Modified. Gilbert has always been a top tier driver in EMods but making that jump to Limited Modified and doing well is a testament to his skill and support system, not to mention one of the nicest young drivers you'll ever meet and just one of the many that show the future of South Texas racing is bright.

Good to see you back up in the stand too. We even met a couple from Pennsylvania who are used to Late Models and 410 Sprints, they enjoyed SUS, so Mr. Waller, keep doing what you're doing, you have a good series going and thanks for making the trek down here.

9 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

Good to see you back up in the stand too. We even met a couple from Pennsylvania who are used to Late Models and 410 Sprints, they enjoyed SUS, so Mr. Waller, keep doing what you're doing, you have a good series going and thanks for making the trek down here.

Had a talk with jesse tonight he had fun with   first top five all year its cost  alot of money to get his car fast enough under the hood to least see the top five ..  he had an issue getting on the tech pad  jimmy said something to him  like have not seen you around in a long time  . jesse laughed said i have not  been  this high up with  needing to go to tech in a long time . i have not  spent as much time on the racecars or even going this year ... maybe that s why he is doing  better  lol ..  i did work hard on the car while i was there tonight .i adjusted the carb mixture for him  darn reaching for that screwdriver was tough  ..i was locked in a four day  battle with a chevy truck that should have taken 7 hours to repair   starting thursday morning and woking 16 plus hours a day  though saterday and  partly sunday and today ..   beat the hell out of me ..turning two screws on jesse carb  was a vacation ..glad  nick and friends keep this sight up and going  and u keep us informed  on this local track  helps alot ..btw way where is nick ..

Another good thing was the vast majority of the drivers last weekend, excluding SUS, were local, not a whole lot of out of town cars. There were a few but CC was well represented and showed some stability for the local car count. Unfortunately, I think I'll be missing the next event as my dad and I are heading north for what will hopefully be an annual trip for us. Heart of Texas Friday night with TOMS and Kennedale Saturday night with Bandits Sprint Series and Lone Star Dwarf Club. We made that run a few years ago and loved it so should be fun. Not sure how many readers on here follow those two tracks but may do my usual thing if there are people interested or if I see some South/Central Texas drivers up there.

13 hours ago, NickHolt said:

HiTech, I'm here and watching you... 

So good to see Jesse end up at the front of the field.  And congrats to Chuck Perry too!  Home team doing well.

Great write up top...

dont watch to closely ..