Max Cookson set for Super Late Model debut at Oxford Plains Speedway

For immediate release
Whipple Motorsports Media
Tel: 207.689.6630

Max Cookson set for Super Late Model debut at Oxford Plains Speedway
2021 PASS Modified champion advances to new challenge

PITTSFIELD, Maine (April 14, 2022) — When a former iRacing champion steps away from his computer to win a touring series title in his first full season of actual racing, it shows natural talent. 

When he goes out and wins six races on what has become one of the most competitive tours in New England, he's accomplished what few could achieve. This year, it's time for his next big challenge. 

Maine native and 2021 Pro All Stars Series (PASS) Modified champion Max Cookson is ready to make that move, as he prepares for his Super Late Model debut on Sunday, April 24, at Oxford Plains Speedway. After a stellar campaign in the open-wheel tour, he's taking the next logical step forward. 

“I feel like I have a lot of high expectations surrounding my debut,” Cookson said. “But really, I'm just very excited to get out into the big pond so to speak and see where we stack up. I know we'll have a lot of learning to do with a whole new car in an ultra-competitive division, but we're ready to get started.” 

Cookson went on a tear last year in the PASS Mods as that series experienced a phenomenal growth spurt over 2020. Despite that increased level of competition, the young athlete from Pittsfield knocked out six wins, 10 top-five and 12 top-10 finishes in 13 starts. It was quite a year.

“I think the success we enjoyed last year kind of helped carry us through the winter,” he added. “But this year, in Week No. 1, we could have all the wind taken right out of our sails. I definitely think we're prepared, so we'll just go into the new season with realistic expectations and hope it turns out alright.” 

Now, the speeds pick up, the need for a perfect chassis setup becomes paramount and that high level of competition gets even higher. Yet Cookson is ready for it all, cautiously optimistic and eager to learn.

“I think with everything being all new to us; the biggest thing will be learning the car, adapting to new setups and a different driving style,” he explained. “But I feel like we're ready for that, and I'll just have to adapt to it all. I think once I'm comfortable in the car, we'll be able to work at it and get it dialed in.” 

Oxford Plains Speedway will open its seventy-third consecutive season of racing (opened in 1950 as a 1/2-mile dirt oval) on April 24, and teams throughout western and central Maine are getting ready. The premier Super Late Model division was full with talent in 2021 and this year will see more of the same. 

As for the car itself, Max Cookson Racing will field a Distance chassis this year, powered by a GM 604 Crate engine. It's a solid combination that should carry the red-hot driver to solid finishes in due time. 

“We all know the strong record Distance cars have at Oxford, so I think we'll have a strong piece,” he concluded. “Our goals include winning the Rookie-of-the-Year award and to learn as much as we can. It'll be a whole lot tougher to do what we did in the Mods, but we're going to give it our best shot.” 

Max would like to thank the team's fine marketing partners, including Distance Racing Products, JM Builders, C&C Properties, B.R. Newhouse Construction, Larochelle Excavation, TLR Tractor Services, Team Huff Customs, Steves Property Management and Earnest Performance. 

To keep up with the latest results and news, be sure to follow Max Cookson Racing on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MaxCooksonRacing. 

Max Cookson 2022 SLM Entry.jpg