Texas Dirt Truck Series @ I-37 Speedway 7-17-21

Texas Dirt Truck Series @ I-37 Speedway 7-17-21

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton TX.,(July, 17th, 2021) Racing for Caleb

Many, if not all, of the Texas circle tracks took moments to remember, memorialize and reflect on the passing of young racer Caleb Couch last weekend in a tragic on-track accident. Track chaplain, Bill Blanchett led the drivers meeting in a moment of prayer to start the night. Drivers passed the helmet throughout the stands to collect donations, stickers were available by donation and the Factory Stock main was run at 26-laps, for Calebs car number.

After a couple scheduled weeks off, I-37 Speedway was back in action Saturday night with the Texas Dirt Truck Series returning to the ¼ mile, semi-banked oval. Along with the Texas Dirt Truck Series, the Late Models, Limited Modifieds, Factory Stocks, “B” Factory Stocks, Sport Compacts and Go-Karts were also slated as the IMCA Modified were given the night off.

This marks the midway point of the season for those chasing points with seven points races remaining barring, of course, that “R” word trackshave seen a lot of this season.

In Price Chevrolet IMCA Modifieds it Jared Maupin leading by 15 over Ryan Doyon with Talon Minten, Brandon Welker and Cody Clark in the top five.

It's a tight race in Nogalitos Gear Late Models with Brandon Brzozowski only having a point on Kody Hardage, Frank Okruhlik seven points back, Landon Sowder eight points back and Alton Fambro tied with Jason Kelly for fifth twenty points out.

Swenson Race Products Limited Modifieds show Jared Maupin leading his second class, this one by 26 ahead of Craig Oakes with Sterling Tausch, Edward Oakes and JJ Jennings.

The All in Design Factory Stocks have Dakota Hurley out front by a single point on Dillon Gaither trailed by Dustin Hurley, George Quintanilla and Michael Keylich completing the top five.

The multi-race winner Ryan McDonald holds serve in the Sport Compacts by 14 over Brandon McCall, Ryker Hernandez, Shaun Tracy and former track champ, Jamie Garner.

It's former I-37 Speedway track champ and pavement Late Model champ, Tommy Grimes leading in TDTS points by 10 on Aaron Leddy who is one up on Chuck Barber with Jarrett Barber fourth and Adolph Tracy fifth.

Whiteaker Whips 'Em

Corpus Christi's Steve Whiteaker jr. took the lead of the 20-lap Late Model feature and never looked back as he motored to the victory. Whiteaker was first into turn 1 on green chased by Kody Hardage, Jason Kelly, Alton Fambro and Brandon Brzozowski. Jason Kelly had his first of two solo spins for a couple quick yellows

Once back to racing Whiteaker would quickly build his lead while Hardage and Brzozowski battled for second. At halfway it was Whiteaker with a big lead over Hardage, Brzozowski, Landon Sowder and Barry Quade. As Hardage and Brzozowski continued to slug it out for second, Whiteaker pulled farther and farther away.

With the laps winding down, Whiteaker had increased his margin to a full straightaway over, Brzozowski who finally secured the spot from Hardage. At the checkers it was Whiteaker in the 1st Class Towing, D&SS Construction, G&M Oilfield Services, Maxima, WW Bodies, MB Customs by CDR.

60f47e138af0c__JRP5871(1024x683)(2).jpg.1f399b13b57782708b82b11d05b2eb4c.jpg

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 12 Kody Hardage, 10 Landon Sowder, 19 Barry Quade, 08 Alton Fambro, 29 Jamie Campbell, 14 Dennis Hilla, 57 Jason Kelly, 12 Carl Dyer

Late Model heats

Heat 1; 89 Steve Whiteaker jr., 08 Alton Fambro, 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 10 Landon Sowder, 19 Barry Quade

Heat 2; 12 Kody Hardage, 57 Jason Kelly, 19L Jamie Campbell, 14 Dennis Hilla, 12d Carl Dyer

Barber Bags Truck Bucks in Tech

As the 20-lap Texas Dirt Truck Series feature fired off it was Tony Bernal grabbing the early lead followed by Jarrett Barber, Treyler Caulfield, Aaron Leddy and Chuck Barber, but Caulfield would loop it for an early yellow. The restart wasn't much better as Bernal would spin from the lead with Colton Borlace and Russ Parker getting caught up in turn 2.

With J. Barber now out front for the restart, he, Leddy, Tommy Grimes and William Jones broke away from the field. As they approached halfway, J. Barber and Leddy were now battling for the lead. It was three wide in slower traffic with J. Barber getting blocked on the bottom and Leddy going by on top to lead lap 9.

The crossed flags turned to yellow as Jones, Adolph Tracy and Bernal tangled. Leddy was able to get ahead when green waved again while Grimes did a 360 and kept going, while not losing his third spot. Leddy kept J. Barber about five truck lengths away to initially take the win. At the tech pad, Leddy had to give up the win to J. Barber after failing to pull vacuum.

60f47e35d692d__JRP6118(1024x683)(2).jpg.406f97f79390bd70c1d896165ef6391a.jpg

Texas Dirt Truck Series

19 Jarrett Barber, 4 Treyler Caulfield, 28 Russ Parker, b93 Colton Borlace, 5x William Jones, 81 Tony Bernal, 19t Adolph Tracy, 44 Kevin Vasbinder, 19b Chuck Barber, 93 Aaron Leddy---dq(tech), 22t Tommy Grimes---dq(tech), 58 Matthew Hodge---dns

TDTS heats

Heat 1; 19b Chuck Barber, 22t Tommy Grimes, 4 Treyler Caulfield, 19t Adolph Tracy, 28 Russ Parker, 58 Matthew Hodge

Heat 2; 81 Tony Bernal, 93 Aaron Leddy, 19 Jarrett Barber, 5x William Jones, b93 Colton Borlace, 44 Kevin Vasbinder

Maupin Makes Mistakes, Rebounds for Win

It was a quick 12-lap Limited Modified feature as only six cars took the green in a race that went green to checkers. Jared Maupin, whose birthday was Friday, took the lead on green over Mason Casteneda, Dustin Butcher, Allen Torres and Lupe Gomez.

Maupin made a rare mistake slipping in turns 3-4 on the bottom giving Casteneda a run to get along side. Casteneda, using the top, was able to get by to lead lap 4. Casteneda would give the lead back on lap 7 when he missed the top of turn 4 giving Maupin the run off the bottom.

Once out front, Maupin changed his line to cover the top with Casteneda staying glued to his tail. As the two took the white flag Maupin had gotten a few car lengths on Casteneda that he carried to the checkers in the Rick Pollaro owned, RNMinstall.com, All In Designs, BMF Chassis.

Swenson Racing Products Limited Modifieds

96 Jared Maupin, 28m Mason Casteneda, 90 Dustin Butcher, 11t Allen Torres, 95 Sterling Tausch, 7 Lupe Gomez

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; Jared Maupin, 28m Mason Casteneda, 90 Dustin Butcher, 11t Allen Torres, 7 Lupe Gomez, 95 Sterling Tausch

Hessong and Hurley Battle to the Wire

In the best race of the night it came down to last lap, last corner pass to determine the winner in the 26-lap main that featured a handful of lead changes along the way.

It was Dakota Hurley jumping out front at the start with Aaron Leddy, Allen Torres, GW Hessong and Allen Alexander in pursuit. Behind them Dillon Gaither, Brain Harbison and Jesse Sandoval were three wide for sixth. Leddy moved to the top and drove around Da. Hurley for the lead on lap 3. Da. Hurley tried to fight back on the bottom as the top four ran nose to tail.

Da. Hurley got the top spot back on lap 6 leaving Leddy three wide with Torres and Hessong. Both got by as Leddy slowed and pulled off. Hessong was now pressuring Da. Hurley for the lead and snagged the point on lap 8 bringing Torres to second who tried for a two-fer pass on Hessong making slight contact.

A yellow for a Harbison spin slowed the pace on lap 10 with a bumper car restart on the front stretch, but everyone kept going to avoid a caution. Da. Hurley was on Hessongs bumper and looking low. This gave the top to Torres who used the opening to grab second. At the crossed flags it was Hessong, Torres, Da. Hurley, Dillon Gaither and Alexander in the top five.

Torres' run for the front ended on lap 18 when the car rolled to a stop in turn 3. Another crazy restart saw Josh Sewell clip the front stretch wall and ricochet back into traffic collecting several others. As racing resumed, Da. Hurley took a peek low in turns 1-2 and got along side Hessong on the back stretch and had the bumper out front on lap 19. Hessong fought back and retook the lead on lap 20.

Dustin Hurley made contact with Cord Beard, who went around on a lap 21 restart for Riley Heil who stopped in turn 3. Beard got his spot back with Du. Hurley, already a lap down, going to the tail. As green waved again Da. Hurley was keeping the heat on Hessong with some contact in turn 3. Alexander made contact with his own team car, sending Gaither around on lap 22.

This set up a good ol' fashion three lap shootout to the checkers. Da. Hurley dove low in turn 1 getting along side Hessong. The two were wheel to wheel with some contact in turn 3 as Da. Hurley got his nose inside. Hessong tried to keep him pinched down, but Da. Hurley got the run off the bottom to lead lap 23.

Hessong came back and gave Da. Hurley a rap on the bumper as the white flag waved. With the crowd anticipating the next corner action, Hessong threw it in on the bottom of turn 3, slid up in front of Da. Hurley. Da. Hurley tried to cross him back over and the drag race to the finish line was on

Hessong, who took some major damage during a hot laps crash when his team mate Cord Beard spun in front of him, was able to beat Da. Hurley back to the finish line in his Magnum Services, Tonys Mobile Home Service, Edna Auto Supply, Rock Motors, Lieta Farms, Lick My Stack Cooking Team, Destroyer Chassis for the hard earned victory.

I had to encourage myself,” said Hessong. “After getting passed with two laps to go I didn't know what I was going to do. I had to pull something out. I gave it everything I had. I knew it was about to be checkers or wreckers. We were going for the win. It was good, it was fun.”

That was just good hard racing with Dakota(Hurley). It was fun. I didn't really have a plan to get back by, just knew I needed to do something. So I gassed 'er up, gave her everything I had. It stuck and we were good.”

I've got a few good people who help me I need to recognize, Manuel Palacious, John Drexler, Cord(Beard), Tony(Blankenship) and all the guys that help day in, day out.”

All in Design Factory Stocks

747 GW Hessong, 40 Dakota Hurley, 99d Dillon Gaither, 44c Cord Beard, 44k Katherine Keylich, 20 Mike Lyon, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 11x Brian Harbison, 36 George Quintanilla, 34h Hunter Peterson, 4d Dustin Hurley, 99a Allen Alexander, 55 Monty Chamberlain, 30 Riley Heil, 17e Jerry Evans, 31 Allen Torres, 99j Josh Sewell, 18s Jarrett Payton, 93 Aaron Leddy, 33 Charles Earnhardt jr., 10 Scott Jerkins---dns

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 31 Allen Torres, 93 Aaron Leddy, 99j Josh Sewell, 44c Cord Beard, 30 Riley Heil, 33 Charles Earnhardt jr., 18s Jarrett Payton

Heat 2; 40 Dakota Hurley, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 11x Brian Harbison, 99a Dillon Gaither, 44k Katherine Keylich, 34h Hunter Peterson, 10 Scott Jerkins---dns

Heat 3; 747 GW Hessong, 99a Allen Alexander, 20 Mike Lyon, 4d Dustin Hurley, 55 Monty Chamberlain, 17e Jerry Evens, 36 George Quintanilla

Wright Gets it Right

The “B” Factory Stocks saw another first time winner in the 12-lap feature that saw Kenny Wright(New Braunfels) lead flag to flag. Wright got the advantage on the start trailed by Robert Keylich, Daniel Lopez, Zach Freeman and Sam Wilcox. The top three were able to break away early with Lopez looking inside Keylich for second.

Charles Oebel brought out a yellow when he stopped on the track. On the restart, Keylich tried looking high on Wright for the lead, Lopez was able to run the low side and got by Keylich for second. Keylich bounced off the front stretch wall collecting Wilcox and Chris Vincent for a lap 7 red flag as they blocked the front stretch.

Once back to green, Lopez tried the high side of Wright for the lead, but Wright held the spot. On the final lap Lopez changed up and gave the low side a try, but at the line it was Wright in his Capital Chevrolet, Wild Child Chassis taking his first ever I-37 Speedway win and first ever on dirt.

B Factory Stocks

68 Kenny Wright, 15 Daniel Lopez, 55 Chris Clark, 71 Sam Wilcox, 49k Robert Keylich, 71 Sam Wilcox, 18r Chris Vincent, 95 Charles Oebel, 00 Zach Freeman

B Factory Stock heat

68 Kenny Wright, 49k Robert Keylich, 00 Zach Freeman, 15 Daniel Lopez, 55 Chris Clark, 18r Chris Vincent, 71 Sam Wilcox, 95 Charles Oebel

McDonald on the Money Again

On the initial start of the 20-lap Sport Compact feature Charles Earnhardt III made contact with Rod Tait in front of the field sending him around and scattering the field. The second try, McDonald from the pole, quickly took command with Michael Burris jr. Brandon McCall, Levi Hernandez and Jamie Garner in tow.

Garner made a move early to get past L. Hernandez and McCall after they went three wide on lap 3. McDonald gained a big advantage when Michael Teague did a half spin in front of the second place fight sending Garner through the infield. At the midway point it was McDonald, by a full straight, Burris, Garner, L. Hernandez and McCall.

Garner and Burris then battled for second with Garner taking the spot. By now McDonald was nearly a half track out front easily cruising to the victory in the PRG Realty, Texas Task Force, 181 Paving, Buggy Warehouse, 2004 Chevy Cavalier.

The track was really good, smoother than it's been,” replied McDonald. “It was slick, but smooth. I can't complain about that too much. There was drivable lines you could drive wherever you could get the car to go.”

I don't make any changes to the car, just kick the tires. That's all there is to it. It was just out there on cruise. I just keep going until a yellow light comes on.”

Sport Compacts

816 Ryan McDonald, 33 Jamie Garner, 81 Michael Burris jr., 28 Levi Hernandez, 14 Brandon McCall, 88 Justin Sitterle, 55 Ryker Hernandez', 14t Shaun Tracy, 15 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 35 Darrel Jones, 32 Joshua Garcia, 007 Aaron Driscoll, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 17 Michael Teague, 88jr Charles Earnhardt III, 70 Rod Tait, 75 Chad Miller---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 816 Ryan McDonald, 88jr Charles Earnhardt III, 14 Brandon McCall, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 32 Joshua Garcia, 14t Shaun Tracy, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 007 Aaron Driscoll, 75 Chad Miller

Heat 2; 70 Rod Tait, 81 Michael Burris jr., 33 Jamie Garner, 28 Levi Hernandez, 88 Justin Sitterle, 15 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 35 Darrel Jones, 17 Michael Teague

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts

Youth; Kaden Pacheco, Tucker Kempe, Cheston Markgraf

Junior: Cecili Johnson, Blaine Markgraf

Senior: Charles Flanagan, Peyton Jones, Zoey Flores