Pics of Corpus Christi Speedway being torn down

NickHolt

Well the inevitable is happening. Always sad to see speedways go out like this. Not many places provide the memories and folklore like an historic speedway. Tens of thousands of people carry memories and stories for the rest of theirs lives from places like this. I am one starting at 6 years old going to C C Speedway. When I first saw this post I almost hopped into my car and drove the seven miles or so to take a look. But then I remembered how I felt after taking a look at San Antonio Speedway on the way back home from a meeting. Drove up to the pit entrance off hwy 16 and took a look. It was the first time I had been there after the last race I went to. Upon seeing the track my heart sank over the condition it was in. Mixed in with those emotions memories of races past flooded my brain. Quite an emotional moment I must admit. Now that CC Speedway is disappearing I've decided not to go there now. I'd rather keep the memories of what she was and not have the memory of what is going on now get in the way of those. Seeing pics and videos of what it is now doesn't bother me much. But standing there on the grounds of SAS was tough. I don't think I could handle doing that on Flato Road.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, arob said:

Well the inevitable is happening. 

its the aggravation that sits in with change  as we grow older when you know it didnt have to be that way ......all that land on navagation between savage lane and 37 use to be our dirt bike track growing up , in the middle of the nights we gave the police something to do  like chasing 8 to 15 of us down leopard passed snappka  trying to catch us before we made it into that field ..once inside the power pole they could not  arrest us or give us tickets ..law back then ..not today .. we knew the cops and they knew us . we all got good laughs  and yes they would arrest us and give us tickets had they won that battle .. .only fair .. after cc opened in the late 40s my father inlaw would sneak his  either an allstate or indian scooter out there and ride the track .his dad didnt know he had a bike .. man where  have i seen that happen before . my mom didnt know i had a scooter either, .once that company  moved in  building the bridge  the table was set for this time .i dont think anyone was really fooled .i wasnt ..

Edited by HiTech

Especially after the sell was announced. We all heard the rumors and proposed deal after the bridge was complete. But guess this shows the state of asphalt racing in Texas. Hope they can keep HMP alive and well. Luckily a month or so ago, went to pick up a piece of equipment for work from a business down the street from CCS and it looked promising as some of the area was paved that wasn't previously, guess now we know why. The track still looked like a track when I went by. Guess it's beyond our control.

On 3/14/2021 at 3:40 PM, top_shelf_12 said:

Especially after the sell was announced. We all heard the rumors and proposed deal after the bridge was complete. But guess this shows the state of asphalt racing in Texas. Hope they can keep HMP alive and well. Luckily a month or so ago, went to pick up a piece of equipment for work from a business down the street from CCS and it looked promising as some of the area was paved that wasn't previously, guess now we know why. The track still looked like a track when I went by. Guess it's beyond our control.

CC CLOSED  and then kyle had either one was still running we maynot have gone dirt  .. we didnt want to go dirt really  but thems the breaks ..i only ran a few race at riverside 1984 because cc was closed that year ..i wasnt any good at it .but i learned alot .

Hey y'all going to start talking to great CC Speedway racers on the show and talk about the old place.

Tonight (Monday) show starts at 6 and at 6:25p gonna get thoughts from the great Lawrence L87!

RevvedUpSportsShow.com click the top tab to watch or RevvedUpSportsShow.tv

16 hours ago, RodneyRodriguez said:

Hey y'all going to start talking to great CC Speedway racers on the show and talk about the old place.

Tonight (Monday) show starts at 6 and at 6:25p gonna get thoughts from the great Lawrence L87!

RevvedUpSportsShow.com click the top tab to watch or RevvedUpSportsShow.tv

bet that was a great show rod .didnt see the short notice till 6 hours after words .. driver in his girlfriends car on drugs  texting  while driving took out a power pole next block over and wala not power for 7 hours .. 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:06 AM, RodneyRodriguez said:

WOW! Man that sucks, here is the replay most of the show ended up being about CC. "The Flying Carlucci" even shows up on screen.

.. frank hoch running back and forth was funny and   that is true  WAS NOT HARD TO FIND HIM.. the one named missed when rick and a few others started running there again was  JIM   .O neal    sold the YELLOW ROSE DANCE HALL  . jim   either leased or try to buy the speedway  he  took over running cc  even chaging the name of the track ..rick was racing the purple 99 when i took my then girlfriend lorraine out there in 83 84.in 85 i think years are correct  the track shut down and i had to race at riverside as a rookie then   frank and dick took it back over  hired my brother and i to  go out  i dug  the new  mud pit back filled   the old ones  up cleaned the old motorcyle track  tires out of the ground and many other things  and frank ran it till he passed away ....

Edited by HiTech

6 minutes ago, RodneyRodriguez said:

Wait till next Monday's show....

you have a secret i dont know about ..i try like hell toget my neighbors son to find his dads old cc programss .alot of names  you would remember and some still around just like our friend you just talk too on the show  ....  the 25 cent programs from back then had alot of stories in them .. and photos ...if i can get em ill send some photos and stories to you ....

1 hour ago, arob said:

Ah yes , the lucky number programs. I  miss those.

Shoot just having the 25 cents to buy one was hard  when the  cotten candy machine was a few feet away ..cant tell you how many times i flipped that one quarter .heads or tails heads or tails .. when i was lucky i had two quarters  but that popcorn popper was near also..darn made it hard ..i think it was three dallors  to get in the gate and five into the pits . so $30 in the pits now and what $15  at the gate . and poeple still have a hard time paying that ...nothing changes ,  I DONT know what the  cost of printing programs would be today  then having someone  in the stand   the pits to put a story together ....programs were popular then  gave  the fans a chance to know who was who  how the show was going to run  .  advertisment for sponsors plus at times discount coupons  just bring the program  with you  to get the discount .. 

On 3/12/2021 at 8:24 PM, King237 said:

Let us not forget "Bad Boys Speedway" that jumped into the fray somewhere and crooked some people out of $$ doing so............

On 3/11/2021 at 11:01 PM, top_shelf_12 said:

Ah thanks for the info TxTom, sad to hear that too. Been a few years since I was out that way. We drove by where we remembered it being, and didn't even recognize the area anymore and didn't see the track. So much for Jesse James and Sandra Bullock saving it.

Jesse James had all intentions of bring the track back.  the city of Austin and TCEQ shut it down.  they would not approve permits and said that the pollution and noise was unacceptable.  and yes I know its next to an airport.  Jesse James did an interview years ago where he described what happened and why the reconstruction of the track halted.  

also Its is said to see the track torn down.  But I have always said if they are not going to run the track it should be torn down.  this way we racers are not hoping and hanging on to the idea that it will come back.  its a harsh take but its my take.  there are not many tracks that sit for more than 5 years that come back.  San Antonio, mountain home, and 281 speedway are all examples of this.  most of the time the owner of the property has no want to run a race track so that's why it is closed.

Tida prosedan  and late models .. saw a couple of pintos i built the blue and  white 36 was the last one i built for me  when joshua was a baby  , ONE of a kind car the first one that  had custom  interior  i raced it one race and someone agreed to my price as a roller . FLAGMAN BOUGHT IT  THEN SAM DUNCAN THEN GARY HUGH  ..that car made its way through about  7  owners and raced all over texas   and ten years or so came back to cc where jesse raced it at sa and then became lisa his wifes new car rebuilt it raced it for years till it was destroyed .. i have one little piece of pipe from it .... miss that track and all the great racing we had for years .. 

Edited by HiTech

12 hours ago, King237 said:

I’m glad you liked the video and recalled some good memories from it Hi-Tech

i need to find a new vhs ..havent seen my glory years in years lol .. yes i liked the video ..forgot all about old C H IN THE 21 WINNING 

• 3 months later...