Pics of Corpus Christi Speedway being torn down

NickHolt

HiTech went by Corpus Christi Speedway today (March 10, 2021) and took a couple of pics of the work being done to dismantle the historic facility.

60497d8c209bf_cc1.jpg.bec48df96fa92cbb936a4fad68556f70.jpg

60497d8cecc0b_cc2.thumb.jpg.a5edc026e4769d4668b8eeabaa29df97.jpg

Mike McCain had this to say about his pics:

THE FORK LIFT  was heading back to the  torn down stands . another man  was cutting under the press box .. you can tell the stands were  being shreaded where they are scrap metal .. joshua told me it was going to be a wrecker yard. dont know if he talked to them or from someone in the know ..  man going back to 1961 where we sat right on the edge, midway up the torn down section looking into the pits. all the races and racers i have seen and no way to remember them all .. but life moves moves on.  the old lift bridge is gone and i spent many years fishing on and next to that bridge even riding it up alot of times. little by little we lose a little more of our youth.  glad my son was old enough to race that track. 29 wins in his first season and a championship in the same year ...  racing and winning at kyle and sas. three tracks and two are surely gone.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back abound Christmas/New years, I went by there and ran into a guy that stated he was the new owner. We talked for several minutes and the basic story then was it was going to be torn down. That man I talked to is the owner of a prominent CC Wrecker business;  That would validate the thought that it will be a wrecker yard. 

Edited by txtom

9 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

Well that sucks.

i can still hear the roaring sounds of the old jalopies from the late 50s into the 70s growing up on cornelia cir   fact living anywhere on that side of town you could hear them ...1969 watch don and carrol getting married in a converted racecar . i think it was a  galaxy 500 sitting there thinking who are those nut jobs .lol..i spent many of days working at that track with frank and later on don .. working the pit gate 1971 when a young terry labonte started his racing life in a stock car .. mustang on wheels shows ..and so forth ..fun days ... ILL HAVE TO ASK MIKE CARLOCK HOW HE FEELS  .his dad built that track in 1945 .may see him at i37 this weekend .

Agree 100% Rodney, now every track I grew up with is gone, CCS, SAS, and Longhorn. Only made a few trips to THR/CTS. At least the carcass of SAS is still there, not sure if that's a good thing or not. I'd like to think it is. At least looking at the track, the movie replays in my head. I think Longhorn is still there but haven't seen anything from it recently. CCS first track I ever turned laps at in my own car, now STS is the only one left. Granted my laps are very few but it's like watching your childhood home get bulldozed. Thankful for the ALS challenge at CCS as that was something very near to me and was a successful night.

2 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

Agree 100% Rodney, now every track I grew up with is gone, CCS, SAS, and Longhorn. Only made a few trips to THR/CTS. At least the carcass of SAS is still there, not sure if that's a good thing or not. I'd like to think it is. At least looking at the track, the movie replays in my head. I think Longhorn is still there but haven't seen anything from it recently. CCS first track I ever turned laps at in my own car, now STS is the only one left. Granted my laps are very few but it's like watching your childhood home get bulldozed. Thankful for the ALS challenge at CCS as that was something very near to me and was a successful night.

Longhorn is now a field. It was plowed up last fall. Here is a pic taken from turn three back towards turn 1.

IMG_5004[1004].jpg

2 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

ONE LAP IS all  it  takes to have bragging rights over all those who wanted too but never did .. the view was spectacular and decieving for a rookie .. the only time was ever scared of that track was in the first dwarf car here is corpus .. the walls look 50 feet high so rodney and others i know are crazy  ..there was something special about  racing that track ..you had to be aggressive yet suttle  you had to have power under the hood yet be smooth through the turns the car had to be hooked up .a tight fast little racetrack ..nothing can compare to this track .. but if you were fast on this track you were fast at sas .this track would let you set your car up for many other tracks . had one team come down from dallas to set up a late model and don asked me to help them one afternoon  .they were setting up for some track out of state and getting the driver some laps .. i help the driver giving him infomation on how to race that track .. after words he said fastist little track he has ever been on .. .. 

i wanted to take those kind of pic yesterday but sign said no entry .. the thousands of steps going up that walkway all those years from a kid to watching my son raceand then some .. my mom and dad  walked us up that walkway .. ..

Edited by HiTech

10 hours ago, RodneyRodriguez said:

Hate losing tracks, hell should be used to it by now but when it is one with the years of service and history of CC Speedway it's a little more of a kick in the balls when it's actually gone.

I agree. Especially on more than one occasion when the owner said he would not sell it. Even appeared to be angry that someone would say that.

2 hours ago, Radical said:

I agree. Especially on more than one occasion when the owner said he would not sell it. Even appeared to be angry that someone would say that.

Who would say that .not even a smidgen of truth to such saying  you dont know what you  are talking about  have a question call the owner . ..... well it doesnt matter the reason it was sold for destruction . to late to save it now .i guess the seller can sleep well .

Edited by HiTech

3 hours ago, NickHolt said:

Thanks to Jason Langford for this video.

Video of CC Speedway in disrepair, March 2021

maybe they will find that hammer i lost out there is 1986 in the old pit section  ..and a few wrenches along the way ..might be a good time for me to find some rods and piston parts that decided to retire  have the dna checked to make sure they were mine .and just a couple of feet of wall  out of the turn two  where his video ended that sent  me on my  roof and slid all the way down   just pass the exit opening about where that person in the white shirt was walking ..  long slide . . the sound of almost  total silents was ghostly .. MANY great drivers came out of that track and many are still racing today .their children  grandchildren and such are racing because of this track one became a two time national champion with a park named after him and his family ... how many drivers i knew  sat up there is those stands and said SOMEDAY ... i was one of those  only took 25 years later to do it  .. .how many gave up drinking to afford racing a few i know of  the best thing that happened to them back then . . some of the best flag men started there .. some of the best score keepers started there and in a case or two are still score keeping .. some of the best and worst track managers ran that track . and one of the best is running a track  up  highway 59 ..and a go kart track locally .. some of the best annoucers have had their shot at stardem. ken cessna  spent 15 years doing just that   playing the race is on by  george jones ... dont know if rodney the great had his chance there .he can answer that . i remember the first green car i can recall at ccspeedway and that color is still racing .. kelly green ..hint .

Edited by HiTech

On 3/12/2021 at 6:28 AM, HiTech said:

Who would say that .not even a smidgen of truth to such saying  you dont know what you  are talking about  have a question call the owner . ..... well it doesnt matter the reason it was sold for destruction . to late to save it now .i guess the seller can sleep well .

If I am mistaken about the owners comments then I apologize. It just seems to me in a post on Lonestar Speed Zone that the owner had said he was going to reopen and not sell. At my age I cannot recall everything as clear as an 18 year old.