Some pics of SAS taken on Monday, March 1, 2021

NickHolt

Spent some time at SAS on Monday with Matthew Dillner and his Lost Speedway production team.  Took some pics while I was there.

603ff3e1adeb7_SASpressbox1.thumb.JPG.6857f6493cfdb57a7fa958ec65ea9ea3.JPG

Press box standing tall - Flag stand standing tall too.  I climbed up and it's solid as a rock up there. Didn't try to go to the press box where I spent a lot of time while writing for The San Antonio Light newspaper.

603ff3e04e073_SASpressbox2.thumb.JPG.638fbec49eb9a708ee567e7b4217e1ad.JPG

Wonder who left that deep mark on the wall... 

603ff43d3d4e8_SASfrontwall2.thumb.JPG.f8a509d73c5c1ab171d253380d9c8d78.JPG

Guess they don't want folks enjoying the track these days.  The van was one of several vehicles used by the Lost Speedways production team. 

603ff43f06772_SASfrontwall1.thumb.JPG.76ba47ecb01c2ca01b88eeddbfae7c62.JPG

Where do I sign the waiver??  

603ff5a3ec188_SASfuelpump.thumb.JPG.99ade4548de7a939fa77c51a616ef093.JPG

Where the fuel pump used to stand.  The tank is still down there with more leaks than ever I'm guessing. 

603ff5a214c63_SASscales.thumb.JPG.d474ec1393c9ad3216d9aa972703be29.JPG

Many a DQ happened at these scales or on the nearby tech pad.

603ff6344ad08_SASvictorylane.thumb.JPG.5a0f71c5162632c1ac23ef323a6915b1.JPG

Victory lane and the score board could use some sprucing up.

603ff63263ac2_SASdriversmeeting.thumb.JPG.6bf13dd34dec04354eef862b328ad242.JPG

"Drivers' meeting in five minutes, y'all." I could almost hear myself say over the PA and imagine all those happy, smiling faces as we went over the lineups...

603ff7886c83c_SAStowards1-2.thumb.JPG.4b163cd324f7cd6cad6c746c1010874b.JPG

Looking towards turn 1 from the second row of pit pads.

603ff78a6af82_SAStowardsturn1.thumb.JPG.a3c6b1732a438aa2718dd07e228121a1.JPG

Looking towards turns 1-2 from the front straight.603ff817bc2dc_SASbackgate.thumb.JPG.304a9ef3ac000ee3b81b490ef1b8daff.JPG

Back gate and NASCAR signage.  The little pit pass shack is long gone. 

Rodney,

I think it's going to take more than a weed eater. Last time we raced there the asphalt was coming apart in turn 1/2 and they had put down a patch that was so rough you had to drive around it. All those weeds are not growing in asphalt. They are in the cracks.

3 hours ago, King237 said:

Nick...These are AWESOME pictures! Thanks so much for posting them!

Did the Lost Speedway folks give you any indication of when the show will be aired?

I didn't think to ask, King!  I know they have a whole bunch of editing to do because they shot hours and hours worth of video and have to pack it into a 25-minute slot! 

It breaks my heart to see the deterioration of this awesome speedway.  I feel as if I spent half of my life there, first as a spectator watching my family race for many years, then as an officer with FASCAR (fan club), and finally as a track official.  I'll never forget the night when the track reopened, and the grandstands were packed to capacity.  Thanks for sharing the pics, Nick.  Miss seeing you and all of my racing family.

1 hour ago, debwill said:

It breaks my heart to see the deterioration of this awesome speedway.  I feel as if I spent half of my life there, first as a spectator watching my family race for many years, then as an officer with FASCAR (fan club), and finally as a track official.  I'll never forget the night when the track reopened, and the grandstands were packed to capacity.  Thanks for sharing the pics, Nick.  Miss seeing you and all of my racing family.

Lots of folks invested lots of themselves into that track including you, Debbie.

The lucky ones who had a chance to diamond turns 3-4 and try to figure out a fast way through 1-2.  They  have lots of stories to tell about how they about scared themselves to death every other lap.  LOL And those who challenged the boiler plate and lost have bones that still ache and a receipt from Newell Salvage to remind them of the unforgiving outside walls.

Poking around the track on Monday it felt like I was at a funeral with no way to bury the deceased. The Kyle and Austin tracks are far better off having been plowed under than San Antonio Speedway and Pan American Speedway being left to slowly rot into the ground. 

Of course, someone with a real love for Stock Car Racing and plenty of financial resources may still show up and turn the grand old lady into a showplace once again.   I keep looking.... 

I would sneak out of work in Corpus at 5:30 instead of 6:00 so I could get to SAS in time. Did that for years. Saw a ton of great races and great drivers at that track.When I saw this post I didn't want to look but I'm glad I did as the memories of SAS came through my mind at warp speed.Sure glad I got to experience San Antonio Speedway !

Still devastating to see it that way but am I the only one that can stand there in the eerie silence yet hear the sounds of racecars, announcers, crowds, classic rock on the pa before the cars started rolling, the drags going on behind the grandstands, the smells, various weather conditions, all the memories replaying like a movie in my head, but so vivid looking around the track and almost seeing it all back in real time but no, just memories. Growing up in Corpus, going to SAS was like going to Daytona/Talladega, especially when TIDA/ROMCO/ASA came in and the OctoberFast events.

I GOT  to run the last pro sedan race there ..all those years hanging out in the pits  were some of the best days i had in racing .. . but  the first lap i took i did what jesse told me not too .. turn to early  in turn one for the exit of turn two .loop it everytime / well i did  just that ..the patch everyone was afraid of in turn  one didnt bother my car at all or me it reminded me of a special spot at cc speedway hit right and the car would get a good run through and off the turn ... i used it while everyone around  me  kept their foot off the gas i floored it .. started 4th  for my first and only  race and carb kept me from running with the two leaders and finished third . priceless ..turn three and off four scared the hell out of me ... .joshuas first lap  there i told him just take it easy till you get use to the track ..standing on pit road i could hear his motor wide open  going into three letting off for a second and wide open  running one  second  lap times faster than the fasted  local car ever did . and we heard about it after that practice the complaints on how much motor we had .. lol .jushua won three or four  races in those few nights  in that old  ugly green chevy number 8  .. THE ONE  trophy  joshua holds dear  over everyone he won was the wooden trophy made from the stands chris handed  him .. it isnt a pageant winner but it is special  home made  with years of racing history behind. nick how did you get lucky to be there .

Edited by HiTech

Yeah we had a hard choice to make that last race at SAS. Either SAS or Aaron Hudgeons Memorial in Edna, we went to Edna but was glad to hear Joshua win and that trophy would be a centerpiece if I had it. I wish I could have turned a lap around SAS in a car but several nights of walking around the track after the races picking up pieces and watching/listening to the crickets along the walls and being amazed at the steepness of the banks in the turns. Still one of the best memories of SAS was the night the CCS Bombers went into and made it out of 2, 3 wide without wrecking and bragging about it after the race when people in the bathroom were talking about it. No one made it out of 2 three wide and especially on street tires. We explained that group did it all the time at CCS and no one believed us.

If I remember correctly, the CCS Bombers received a standing ovation that night after that. But the collective gasps in the stands except from the Corpus guys that grew accustomed to that was fun to watch/hear. Think it even impressed either Milton or Rodney, whoever announced that night.

14 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

If I remember correctly, the CCS Bombers received a standing ovation that night after that. But the collective gasps in the stands except from the Corpus guys that grew accustomed to that was fun to watch/hear. Think it even impressed either Milton or Rodney, whoever announced that night.

That happened many times .EVEN when i raced   three wide  . and loved it most fun you can have behind the wheel .after the race you wondered how come we cant do that everynight with out wrecking   i loved close racing so close a toothpick would be crushed  between both cars .. , something about cc made you a better driver ..  it isnt called the bull ring for nothing ...

Drove by Longhorn Speedway this weekend. I learned to drive there. Dad had me driving my mom’s ‘85 Volvo station wagon and was supposed to do the figure 8 and treat the “X” as a four way stop sign.... did that a couple times and just started making laps around the oval until was told that’s enough. Sad to see it this way too. 

LEAST sas can still be put back together .joshua just sent me a picture of cc speedway being demolished . taking the  main stands down now .. i knew once it closed it would never reopen and was told i didnt know what i was taking about .. well im right .. seems like texas wrecker company is making it their new home another big piece of history gone ........

2 hours ago, HiTech said:

LEAST sas can still be put back together .joshua just sent me a picture of cc speedway being demolished . taking the  main stands down now .. i knew once it closed it would never reopen and was told i didnt know what i was taking about .. well im right .. seems like texas wrecker company is making it their new home another big piece of history gone ........

HiTech sent me these two pics to post along with the following comments:

Opps!  She's gone.  Corpus Christi Speedway not in its best day.  Right side stands are torn off...

cc 1.jpg

cc 2.jpg

4 hours ago, NickHolt said:

HiTech sent me these two pics to post along with the following comments:

Opps!  She's gone.  Corpus Christi Speedway not in its best day.  Right side stands are torn off...

cc 1.jpg

cc 2.jpg

THE FORK LIFT  was heading back to the  torn down stands . another man  was cutting under the press box .. you can tell the stands were  being shreaded where they are scrap metal .. joshua told me it was going to be a wrecker yard .dont know if he talked to them or from someone in the know ..  man going back to 1961 where we sat right on the edge  midway up the torn down section looking into the pits . all the races and racers i have seen and no way to remember them all ..but life moves moves on  .the old lift bridge is gone and i spent many years fishing on and next to that bridge even riding it up alot of times little by little we lose a little more of our youth ..glad my son was old enough to race that track .29 wins in his first season and a championship in the same year ...  racing and winning at kyle and sas . three tracks and two are surely gone .

Edited by HiTech