Tecate Season Championship Night

top_shelf_12

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially with no contact with the officials, announcer doubling as race director and hard to hear the introductions with 20 Limiteds going by. By the way, Nick has done well pulling double duty and wonder if he's doing scorekeeping as well since Marcia moved. I wonder if I'm well enough known for interviews yet.

7 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

Especially with no contact with the officials, announcer doubling as race director and hard to hear the introductions with 20 Limiteds going by. By the way, Nick has done well pulling double duty and wonder if he's doing scorekeeping as well since Marcia moved. I wonder if I'm well enough known for interviews yet.

No he isnt score keeping . just running the radio  along with  his regular job  tough enough ... he is good but score keeping  would be impossible with all he does .. .. .you ever tried score keeping lol.. i tried it once 10 lap heat race with ten cars and no one passed and i still had it wrong ..you have to be on top of those cars all the time  no time to enjoy the racing .. i dont know how my wife and others can keep up with so many cars with same numbers and even alike paint jobs and its twice as hard with traveling cars show up ....  i am tickled we started 23 lasted through the wrecks and finished 8th on track off track 7th . good night for us  car is coming around .

Edited by HiTech

15 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

No nor do I want to. I don't know how they keep up with it, especially when car counts are high. 

well i will join u  in not ever wanting to do it  least for me again.. three wide is a killer .. lorraine will go up before hot laps and watch them  to get a visual .hoping she has the right car .   alot of it is by color   local cars she has no problem with  .but they do have a system where one person will count the first half of cars and the other counts the second half of the cars .. how that works out i dont know but it works . 

It's amazing how STS does it without transponders and it's hard to keep track of 15-20-25 cars all at once. That's why usually in Features I only do top 5 Results and even then I'm not always right. Luckily lately we haven't had too many cars gets lapped. Those ladies have always done a good job up in that booth and it's a seemingly thankless job, one not many notice when they're right but do they ever hear it if they're wrong or assumed wrong.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:57 PM, top_shelf_12 said:

When I first started I did all my stuff sitting in the stands, then tried to get names/numbers/finishes afterwards or find a local to sit by that knew nearly everyone....It was a long, hard, arduous task that, at times, was futile. Now I get a better view from the scoring tower, have my own system of doing the results(though not official) I usually get pretty close. Like Mike, I tried actual scoring once at Big H....Heat races weren't too bad....First feature was 22 Texas Super Sprints.....I was toast on lap 1..... In the past Lori and Marcia had their system down at STS, same with Jean and Steve at SAS....I've had the honor to work with some of the best manual scorers in the state over my time doing my stuff....PRO TIP: Best investment I made was a digital recorder for interviews.....For years I tried writing them, but my handwriting is atrocious at its best. Deciphering it took seemingly forever.....My latest idea is getting drivers to fb message interviews.....Cut, Paste, Edit, Punctuate.....VOILA!

Lol yeah I think I have a recorder from my college days, but not digital. I'm pretty knowledgeable with the three South Texas tracks but of course rarely do anything at I37 when I'm there since you usually are too. Myracepass app has been very helpful, especially when someone like USMTS or ASCS/SUS comes in or just to double check drivers/results. I'm not sure if there are too many drivers that actually know me that even like interviews. One thing I would like to do is get a good camera, especially at STS because I don't think they have anyone but I could be wrong outside of the videography. In the old days, we would get to the tracks early and the pit staff would let me come in, take pics then leave the pits before the driver's meetings and practice. Have drawers full of pictures from the 80s, 90s, early 2000s with actual film. My uncle worked at a photography studio so it was a way to see him, get my stuff developed and impressed him in my pre and early teens. I'm no TxTom but have some good stuff, especially for the age. Mikey Cullen's cars were always cool to photograph. Action shots I couldn't really master though.

5 hours ago, top_shelf_12 said:

It's amazing how STS does it without transponders and it's hard to keep track of 15-20-25 cars all at once. That's why usually in Features I only do top 5 Results and even then I'm not always right. Luckily lately we haven't had too many cars gets lapped. Those ladies have always done a good job up in that booth and it's a seemingly thankless job, one not many notice when they're right but do they ever hear it if they're wrong or assumed wrong.

it is hard on two poeple   they have to go back to the last lap and count each car and adjust when someone has to go to the back . i hardly ever ask my wife about much of anything about the score keeping and sometimes things go wrong . ..as for hearing anything over mistakes they may have made . i have not asked her and really i  rarely  do anyway .. she can handle herself .. only twice have i ever got involved when someone is arguing a call with her and that was many years ago when score keepers had to control most of the calls .. as long as you argue your case with her with out getting personal name calling and such  you can argue all you want ..once you step over that line i am not a good person to deal with ,besides  their job is the line up   .the track has control over who goes to the back  or stays where they were ...that take a big load off .

On 10/19/2020 at 10:42 PM, top_shelf_12 said:

Lol yeah I think I have a recorder from my college days, but not digital. I'm pretty knowledgeable with the three South Texas tracks but of course rarely do anything at I37 when I'm there since you usually are too. Myracepass app has been very helpful, especially when someone like USMTS or ASCS/SUS comes in or just to double check drivers/results. I'm not sure if there are too many drivers that actually know me that even like interviews. One thing I would like to do is get a good camera, especially at STS because I don't think they have anyone but I could be wrong outside of the videography. In the old days, we would get to the tracks early and the pit staff would let me come in, take pics then leave the pits before the driver's meetings and practice. Have drawers full of pictures from the 80s, 90s, early 2000s with actual film. My uncle worked at a photography studio so it was a way to see him, get my stuff developed and impressed him in my pre and early teens. I'm no TxTom but have some good stuff, especially for the age. Mikey Cullen's cars were always cool to photograph. Action shots I couldn't really master though.

Since I'm normally taking pix during hot laps/heats now I use myracepass to catch up with results during intermission. 

Most people didn't really know me until I started doing interviews. Some are tougher than others. I try to get them to talk like a couple friends talking shit after the races. Then there's the class clowns to interview like Lawrence, Trigg, to name a couple and those that give some not-so-real information to get in other racers heads. The toughest ones are the yes/no answers----UGH!

I thought STS had someone shooting down there? Digital stuff is a whole new experience and good gear can be pricey. I've been lucky enough to pick up some still good used stuff. With digital/auto focus gear it's a lot easier to shoot action once you get the hang of 'panning.'

On 10/23/2020 at 9:58 PM, rebelracewriter said:

Since I'm normally taking pix during hot laps/heats now I use myracepass to catch up with results during intermission. 

Most people didn't really know me until I started doing interviews. Some are tougher than others. I try to get them to talk like a couple friends talking shit after the races. Then there's the class clowns to interview like Lawrence, Trigg, to name a couple and those that give some not-so-real information to get in other racers heads. The toughest ones are the yes/no answers----UGH!

I thought STS had someone shooting down there? Digital stuff is a whole new experience and good gear can be pricey. I've been lucky enough to pick up some still good used stuff. With digital/auto focus gear it's a lot easier to shoot action once you get the hang of 'panning.'

You do interviews  .i haven't seen that yet , u never talk to our team .what s with that  ..LOL.. AND NO ONE KNOWING WHO YOU ARE . WELL YOU ARE NOT HARD TO PICK OUT .

Edited by HiTech

You do interviews  .i haven't seen that yet , u never talk to our team .what s with that  ..LOL.. AND NO ONE KNOWING WHO YOU ARE . WELL YOU ARE NOT HARD TO PICK OUT .

You do know that you have to win to get my interview, yes?.....LOL

Back when I first started doing my thing I always made sure to wear a lanyard w/credentials so people wouldn't think I was just jackin' with them looking for secrets or something.

But you are right, my butt always give me away.....LMAOOOOOOOOO