Dibenendetto at Talladega

JamesHigdon

If Hamlin was "forced" below the line he can keep his position. If you try to pass a car below the line you have to give the spot back. If you force a car below the line you will be penalized. This was the first time I can recall NASCAR enforcing that one.

48 minutes ago, JamesHigdon said:

So Hamlin was forced below the line, passed the car which forced him below the line PLUS another car. Doesn’t he have to give the spot back? Does anyone know the actual rule which gifted the race to Hamlin?

Don't get me started.....So many inconsistencies in the whole mess!

#JGRprivilege

22 hours ago, arob said:

The thing that got me is Hamlin made little effort to get back above the line.

I was one of the lucky 20K or more in attendance and sat about 150 feet before the start finish line in the lower Ivey section. I had a clear spot on view of the 11 and 12 cars pit stall directly in front of me. 11 led the first 24 laps and came in for the competition caution and raced near the back the rest of the day until about lap 170 (18 to go). The 11 car came in MANY times throughout the race....pit crew "sauntered" over to his car...changed a tire here and there, top off fuel, look at front splitter....never in a hurry. We commented how he sandbagged the whole day and now would go win probably (though we were all rooting for the 21 to do it). On the last OT, Cody Ware wrecked the 27 head on into the outside  wall (as we saw on the monitor) and the race continued on (no caution thrown) and again a wreck in turn 4 with the 11 car below the line and he just stayed there with no attempt to get back on the track.

Race is over and 11 comes down to start finish line and does his burnout and goes to the inspection line...he pulls up and two officials standing there put thumbs up in the air and he proceeds back to start finish line, parks and gets out and starts interview. At this point everyone there is booing him. Thats my recall of the day anyway.

To add insult to injury, I DVR'd the race at home on NBC to come home and find out they cut it at 6pm to NBCSN which is not DVR'd . Pretty sure NBC will get some calls and letters about that.

Edited by King237

23 minutes ago, arob said:

And to top it off the 21 gets the penalty and finishes 15th.

aint that something blocking is illegal in nascar .. we dont need a video we have spot on sight king 237.. matt is proving he needs to stay in that car .

Edited by HiTech

I cannot believe someone wont renew his contract with the 21 or grab him up for another ride.

MattyD has proven he can drive with sub standard equipmt or top shelf equipment. His attitude is right, he gives great interviews so why not? Then today I see that the 48 is being filled by Bowman.....that leaves the 88 open (or do they delete the 88)?

2 hours ago, King237 said:

I cannot believe someone wont renew his contract with the 21 or grab him up for another ride.

MattyD has proven he can drive with sub standard equipmt or top shelf equipment. His attitude is right, he gives great interviews so why not? Then today I see that the 48 is being filled by Bowman.....that leaves the 88 open (or do they delete the 88)?

LOOKS LIKE A  great driver a very personable person who wears his feelings on his sleeve who has the drive to win  cant keep a ride .. i didnt really know of him till last year and i cant find one thing  negative about him .sponsors play a big part in who drives and who does not . he does not have to win a race to be a winner with me . shoot nascar has many drivers new and old who cant even run near the front and matt has doe more of that than many of the old racers .. wallace who i lost any care for is front and center for what we all know  .. he hasn't won a race yet ..least petty got rid of him .

Edited by HiTech

Matt DiBenedetto has inked a contract extension with Wood Brothers Racing, the organization announced Thursday in a release. And Team Penske announced that rising prospect Austin Cindric has signed a multiyear contract, keeping him in the NASCAR Xfinity Series next year before taking over the Wood Brothers No. 21 Ford full-time in 2022.

2 hours ago, King237 said:

Matt DiBenedetto has inked a contract extension with Wood Brothers Racing, the organization announced Thursday in a release. And Team Penske announced that rising prospect Austin Cindric has signed a multiyear contract, keeping him in the NASCAR Xfinity Series next year before taking over the Wood Brothers No. 21 Ford full-time in 2022.

matt needs to win  .. he will get it .. 

On 10/4/2020 at 6:52 PM, rebelracewriter said:

Don't get me started.....So many inconsistencies in the whole mess!

#JGRprivilege

Remember in 2015 when Shrub Busch broke his leg and NA$CAR made an exception to get him into the Chase  - and he won the title, despite missing a large percentage of the races? Did they make the same exception for Ryan Newman after his injury this year (also in the Daytona 500)? nope...   JGRPrivelege is right.

3 hours ago, texasprd said:

Remember in 2015 when Shrub Busch broke his leg and NA$CAR made an exception to get him into the Chase  - and he won the title, despite missing a large percentage of the races? Did they make the same exception for Ryan Newman after his injury this year (also in the Daytona 500)? nope...   JGRPrivelege is right.

Not valid argument Ryan Newman only ended up missing 3 races due to Covid-19 and is still in the top 30 in points, now if there never would of been Covid and the season continued they would of granted him the same opportunity. When Ryan Newman came back to the first race at Darlington he was still 28th in points missing 3 races. Knowing the driver Ryan is there was no need to offer that deal for him.  For context JH Nemecheck, Ty Dillon, Ryan Preece, Corey Lajoie, Daniel Suarez, Brennan Poole and Quinn Hoff have all run 31 races except for Suarez and Poole who have run 30 and Newman is still ahead of them.  Kyle Larson has only run 4 races and is still 34th in points. 

Busch in 2015 missed the first 11 races and then came back for the AllStar race and first points paying race was the Coca-Cola 600 race #12. His first win came at Sonoma that year race #16. Remember he had to be in the top 30 in points and have a race win before they would let him in to the playoff. He didn't get into the top 30 in points until he finished 2nd at the Watkins Glen Race race #22.  The last race of the regular season he was 25th in points with 1 win. 75 points over 30th place.

99% of the cup drivers bring money to the table.  The  only question is who did not?  We were drunk back in the day and believed talent was the ticket.   Who cares if it is Daddy's money or XYZ corp money?  Bring the cash.,    It is good for the sport

I can think of at least five (5) or more drivers that I watched develop and hone their skills at local short tracks in Texas that had enough "to get there" on talent (yet didn't) due to not having the sponsors to pull it off. I'm not sure buying your way in is right but it seems to be the way to get yourself in the sport since the 90's. The sad part is that many drivers who are capable have to instead watch on TV. Call me crazy but that ain't right

Here's some things to look at:

Cole Custer:  Father Joe Custer President of Stewart Haas Racing

Austin Cindric: Father Tim Cindric President of Penske Racing

Austin and Ty Dillon: Grandfather Richard Childress

One of the reasons Matt still has this ride for next year is because of the Gen 7 car.  If the Gen 7 car would of came out next year like it was supposed to he would of lost his seat to Cindric a year earlier.  Since it got delayed they waited to bring him up. It doesnt make any sense to bring someone up this year and put them at the cup level in cars that are going to be obsolete in 2022.  So we hold him up 1 more year then move him up that way he learns the cup stuff in the new car.  Now remember Brad K signed a 1 year contract so he could finish out 2021 and retire and then bring Matty D into his seat in 2022 but Matty D has to prove himself.  He needs to drive the remaining races this year and all of next year the way he raced the last 2.  

Don't be surprised if Ty Dillon gets the 43 seat.  I think they are waiting to announce that seat until something is done at Hendrick.  RPM and RCR have the technical alliance so it would make sense to bring Ty into that with pressure from grandpa.  Now the only way that doesn't work is how much money Erik Jones brings to the table.  I don't know if Craftsman and Stanley are JGR sponsors or Erik Jones sponsors. All the sponsors that Bubba picked up this year (Door Dash, Columbia, Coca Cola, McDonalds and maybe CashApp) from what I have heard are going with him now I might be wrong but that is happening a lot more these days.  The driver is getting the sponsor not the car so that makes the difference.  

Kyle Larson will most likely go to the Hendrick stable with speculation it will be #5 car.  Rick really wants Kyle to drive for him and Chevrolet has reportedly turn their course after several meetings with Kyle and Rick. It will be interesting to see what his contract would say about him running the sprint car and midgets.  95% of open wheel fans would love to see Kyle go to SHR and drive the 14 but Ford reportedly wanted to still distance themselves from Kyle and with Chase Briscoe waiting in the wings it would make sense to put Briscoe in the 14.  Hendrick doesn't really have any Cup ready talent to move from the xfinity side which is JRM.  Noah Gragson signed another year, Allgaier I believe is signed for another year, Michael Annett has a ride because his family keeps pumping money into his seat and their 4th car had a myriad of drivers this year in the car.

17 hours ago, King237 said:

I can think of at least five (5) or more drivers that I watched develop and hone their skills at local short tracks in Texas that had enough "to get there" on talent (yet didn't) due to not having the sponsors to pull it off. I'm not sure buying your way in is right but it seems to be the way to get yourself in the sport since the 90's. The sad part is that many drivers who are capable have to instead watch on TV. Call me crazy but that ain't right

not crazy  money talks bull shot walks ..  good thing  base ball looks at the talented young ball players and watch them for a few years .. we have a young man playing on a major league team now who i know first hand didnt have the money who use to play on my sons team spent time at my house traveled with us  with help from his coaches  his school  hard work and such he made it ..the days in racing you have to bring money with you . sadly .

King237 I dont know if you listen to Podcasts or not but if you listen to the Door Bumper Clear Podcast which is Brett Griffin (Bowyer Spotter), TJ Majors (Logano Spotter), and Freddie Kraft (B. Wallace Spotter) you can learn a lot about the sport and what goes on you dont read about.  Most of the the time when they put something out rumor wise it ends up being pretty true.