Freddy Fryar and Dorothy McCall

txtom

I was shocked to read Texas Tom’s post on April 29th regarding the passing of Freddy Fryar and Dorothy McCall.

Dorothy McCall was the wife of Bob McCall and mother of Robin McCall. Dorothy McCall was the grand lady of a grand McCall auto racing family. My wife Terry and I were guests in her home several times. She was a genuine person and a great lady.

RIP - Dorothy McCall.

Freddy Fryar was one the very best stock car drivers to base his racing operations in Beaumont Texas for many years. He rightfully earned the nickname, “The Beaumont Flyer - Freddy Fryar". My professional contact with Freddy was when he raced at Texas World Speedway where I was Race Director. He won Texas Race of Champions #5 in 1980 in his #14 Chevrolet Camaro and again in 1984 in TROC #8 when Freddy raced his unfamiliar #46 Chevrolet Camaro into the TWS Victory Circle.

He was also a three time winner of the Texas Grand Prix in 1983 and again in 1986 as Freddy Fryar won the fall event in his familiar - #14 - Chevrolet Camaro. On March 8, 1987 Freddy Fryar raced his #14 which was a Pontiac Firebird to the win.

RIP - “The Beaumont Flyer - Freddy Fryar".

Posted by his friend Neil Upchurch – Founder

TIDA Late Model Series

Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway

Texas Pro Sedan Series

• 2 weeks later...

Dorothy N. McCall passed away the morning of April 29, 2020 at her home in Blanco, TX lovingly surrounded by her family.

Dorothy was born July 29, 1940 in San Antonio, TX to Iverson Randolph Boone and Floy Velma (Hawkins) Boone.

She was preceded in death by her parents, her sister, Gwendolyn Dose, and brother, Elman Boone.

She is survived by her beloved husband of 61 years, Robert “Bob” McCall; two daughters, Suzanne and Robin McCall Dallenbach. Dorothy is also survived by three loving grandchildren, Jacob, Wyatt, and Kate, as well as many other loving relatives and dear friends.

A graveside service will be held at 11:00 AM, Saturday, May 16, 2020 at the Historic Blanco Cemetery, Blanco, TX with Sister Esther Simon officiating.

Plants and flowers are certainly accepted. For those desiring, memorial contributions may be made to Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation, 335 Old Blanco Rd. Kendalia TX, 78027, 830-336-2725.

Posted by – Neil Upchurch

Founder:

TIDA Late Model Series

Texas Pro Sedan Series

Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway

Edited by NeilTPS
added information