Cole Announces His Return to NASCAR Late Models

For Immediate Release

COLE ANNOUNCES HIS RETURN TO NASCAR LATE MODELS

San Antonio, TX (June 2, 2005) - Veteran NASCAR Late Model racer, James Cole, plans to return to San Antonio Speedway this Saturday night (June 4) for the Twin 50’s Late Model Races and the Texas All Star Late Model Summer Showdown.

Following a close second-place finish in the 2004 NASCAR Late Model points chase, Cole had originally planned to return to San Antonio Speedway at the beginning of the 2005 season to start his quest for the 2005 NASCAR Late Model championship. It was a tough decision for Cole to sell the Late Model car he had driven in 2004, but he realized he couldn’t race and maintain the car while finishing school, without additional sponsor support.

Cole is pleased to announce that his current engine builder, Danny Webb, has stepped up to help him out in a big way by purchasing a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo from Rob Ferguson. Ferguson used the car to compete in last year’s Oktober’FAST’ race, and he is also the owner of the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Mighty Motorsports #24 truck. Cole will be driving the Monte Carlo for the rest of June and possibly July, but he eventually plans to return to a Ford- powered Taurus assembled by John and Tom Hamilton.

“I’m really excited to have this opportunity to return to Late Model racing full time again,” stated Cole. “I can’t thank Danny and Amelia Webb enough for stepping up and doing this for me. I think I’m still in a state of shock since everything has happened very quickly. The same weekend that they came down in the pits to tell me about the deal, I had officially graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Business Management from U.T.S.A. Getting my degree was enough to make me happy for the rest of the summer, but Danny and Amelia Webb have definitely made things even more exciting.”

Cole is 23 years old, and he began his racing career in 1996 at Texas Dirt Speedway in the Pure Stock class. Cole then advanced to the Street Stock class in 1998, and he won the Rookie of the Year awards in both classes. He made his move to asphalt in 2000 by joining the Modified class at San Antonio Speedway, and Cole won the Most Improved Driver award and the track championship in the Modified class in 2001. Cole joined the Texas Asphalt Modified Series (TAMS) in 2002 and finished third in points. In 2003, he chalked up three wins and broke the TAMS track records at Thunder Hill Raceway (Kyle), Red River Speedway (Wichita Falls), and at San Antonio Speedway. In 2004, Cole made the move to NASCAR Late Models at San Antonio Speedway and managed to pick up three feature wins, along with setting the Oktober’FAST’ Late Model track record and achieving Rookie of the Year honors. At the end of the 2004 season, Cole finished a mere two points behind the NASCAR Late Model points champion, Larry Bendele.

“This is truly an awesome surprise from Danny, Amelia, and everyone involved,” added Cole. “It has been really hard to stand on the sidelines and watch racing instead of competing behind the wheel. Some amazing people have shown me that they believe in my talent and have stepped up to help me. My entire crew is ready to pick up where we left off by getting my car ready to win some races again.”

Mission Auto Parts, Hamilton Brothers Engine Balancing, Oval Components, Greg Hubbell Race Cars, Precision Collision Repair, Color Trim Auto Upholstery, Premier Minerals, B & A Automotive, and Checkered Flag Racing will be sponsoring Cole’s car.

Although Cole is currently planning to race this weekend, he came down with a bad case of the flu earlier this week. His final decision to enter the races on Saturday will depend on a speedy recovery from his illness. Cole hopes to race in both of the Twin 50’s races, including the 50-lap Texas Super Racing Series race and the 50-lap NASCAR Late Model race. He also hopes to be a potential candidate for the 15-lap Texas All Star Late Model Summer Showdown that will include the top five finishers from each of the Twin 50’s events.

The June 4 races at San Antonio Speedway (SAS) will begin with Late Model qualifying at 5:45 p.m. SAS is a half-mile NASCAR-sanctioned oval asphalt track that is located at 14901 State Highway 16 South (Poteet Highway), about 3.5 miles south (outside) of Loop 410. The speedway can be accessed easily by taking IH 35 South and exiting on Highway 16 South (left exit), just past South Park Mall. The race hotline number is (210) 628-1867, and the speedway's website can be found at http://www.sanantoniospeedway.com.

Archived