Ford and Hailie Deegan

toyotatim

7 hours ago, BeachBum said:

She's exactly what's needed right now to put some "new" warm fannies in those cold seats across America... 

EXACTLY what I said on here 10 years ago.  Danica finished 6th in the ARCA Daytona race, after being punted into the infield grass, saved it, pitted and returned in 24th place and still brought it home 6th in her very first ever stock car race. Her team was impressed enough with her performance to enter her in the nascar xfinity Daytona race the following week  The president of Daytona later stated there was an immediate 15% increase in ticket sales for that race when the announcement was made.

Edited by Budman

9 hours ago, HiTech said:

she isnt Danica  for you bud she makes Danica look like a rookie ..Danica was just a gimmick  .she little lady is for real .

I actually hope Hailey  truly IS FOR REAL H/T.  As for Danica?  Some do indeed regard her as a dismal failure. Me? Don't think so.  Remember, Danica came from a very much middle class family in a little southern Wisconsin town.  There was no big $$$ money behind her like some people think.  Her parents owned a coffee shop. Her dad bought her a go-cart when she was 10.  The rest as they say is history. I guess there are more ways than one to measure success or failure.  Tell you what, dare you to google ……..  "Danica Patrick's Net Worth"  to find out how much of a failure she has become. :)

Except for putting  a guy in the wall, Deegan did pretty well.  Natalie Decker was doing well also and got caught up someone else's mess.  

Talent is important to race, but having the talent to raise money is probably more important.  This is a business, it has always been and will always be. 

Edited by toyotatim

BUDMAN  I wont question where she came from of how she got wealthy so much lol.. I am not saying Danica wasn't good behind the wheel  ..nascar brought her in  to bring the everyday  lady into racing  get them interested  .. and it worked  to a point .but  what it did do is give your old worn out eyes  some eye candy .it helped nascar more in that sense with the men .. ,  but in all reality she could not really handle a stock car .that takes years to learn  .she could not tell the team just what the car was doing where she could be helped …….nascar did get what they wanted . Danica got rich ....but to a racing fan like me where talent behind the wheel means more to me than a perfect body  .nice combed hair and clean face .and great on tv  she didnt impress me ...and neither do the male racers .. talent behind the wheel .. that makes a racer  . looks is one small reason nascar lost  a little luster …looks never won a race ..the talent  inside did .

2 hours ago, toyotatim said:

Money wins races, always has and always will

KEEP THINKING THAT   I dont  think nick  would even agree with that .. some of cars he worked with didnt have the money you think it takes to win .. we darn near pulled off a championship in 20 17 . with a junk car .. I won many races in my racing days by out smarting and out running money cars  cuz I sure as heck didnt have money ….I even beat most of them with their hand me downs .junk stuff .I just had to work harder .. so dont cheapen   low budget teams  with that attitude ……   . now does money help .lol I wont turn it down .but all the money in the world would not    make you a winner . I takes a lot  more than that . buy a race team with unlimited budget  with  out the talent and see just were you go .. I know nick may   agree I think the fastest  race winner year after  year was rick rapp .. poor boy but kicker on the track ..I learned from him it can be done .

Edited by HiTech

21 hours ago, HiTech said:

BUDMAN  to a racing fan like me where talent behind the wheel means more to me than a perfect body  .nice combed hair and clean face .and great on tv  she didnt impress me ...and neither do the male racers .. talent behind the wheel .. that makes a racer  .

Well H/T you are not going to like this, but so be it.

Cute? Sure. But cute does not a driver make.  With me it's a little more personal than that.  Yet again you have missed the point.  Perhaps I can elaborate.

I was a fan of her's years before she moved to nascar.  Ten years ago i'd gone up to TMS to the IndyCar race. As I customarily do, I purchased a pit pass along with my grandstand ticket.  I was there all day Friday, practice day.  I've never been in to seeking driver autographs, but as I stood along the pit wall after the day's practice, seemingly out of nowhere she appeared, walking down pit lane. I still haven't the foggiest notion why she approached me.  Just in the right place in the right point in time I suppose, or maybe she perceived me as just another one of her thousands of fans.  At any rate, she offered her autograph. Having nothing for her to write on, I said "How about my shirt?". She cheerfully replied "SURE!."  So that's what I got.  Our encounter was brief, but it was just us, one on one, no team, owners, sponsors, media or crowd.  She is almost the same age as my two kids.  All racing bull s#*t aside, I came away with the impression of WHAT A DELIGHTFUL YOUNG LADY she truly is.  The next day she put on the show of her life and I'm glad I was there to see it live and in person.  Twice she put eighty thousand fans on there feet as she took the lead.  The duel you see at the end of the following vid was for the lead.  Brisco ended up with two more of those "PUSH TO PASS" gizmos than she had.  Otherwise it may have been a dead heat at 200+.  No talent?  Really? ………….. So now you know.

Danica02. [640x480].jpg

23 minutes ago, toyotatim said:

Everybody uses the poor boy card.  But, there are people that cant even afford to go to the track, much less race a car.  So, to them, money wins.  

Not everybody uses the poor-boy card, but it is fair to say that in today's stock car racing world money-teams  do indeed dominate. Even on dirt, money teams dominate in the national series like WoO, DIRTcar, LOLMDS, USMTS.  

But  HiTech has a point in that back in the day (1970s-80s), winners like Rick Rapp, John Kelly, Keith Reithmeyer, Bruce Beddoe and several other less well-funded teams were able to use brains, experience,  knowledge, driving skill and sheer determination to compete successfully with those who were able to purchase expensive power plants from the top engine builders and custom-made chassis from the national fabrication shops. 

Sadly, the only place left for such teams are in the lower divisions on local dirt tracks, which is why many of us prefer those classes to the big-money classes. 

Nick

Nick,   On the subject of money and racing I'm always reminded of the late race driver Larry Rice who was a commentator on the THUNDER series of USAC sprint and midget racing back in the 80's I think on ESPN and later CMT.  He once said, "Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"  I thought that pretty well covered the subject in two short sentences. 

Rick and I would fight over exactly where to place five pounds of lead!  LOL.  He knew racing suspensions inside out and when we teamed up to work on his suspensions, all I brought was the math that explained what he already knew. 

I guess the only real thing I contributed to his deal was convincing him to go much softer on his setup at San Antonio Speedway.  At the time, folks were using the "big right front spring, soft left front spring and more or less stiff in the rear with  high cross weight percentages. We ended up with a soft setup that ran stiffer left side springs than right side springs, a fairly large sway bar with relatively low cross weight percentage.  It took a while before the other teams caught on.

Rick was a genius when it came to drive train stuff.  He went against  conventional wisdom at the time as well.  Most teams were using very light, knife-edged crank shafts, so when Rick kept winning one well-healed team decided to protest the whole engine, including the crankshaft.  What they found was a perfectly machined set of pistons from two different manufacturers (he couldn't afford a whole new set so machined what he had in the shop) and a crank shaft that was several pounds heavier than the rules set as the minimum weight.  Everyone standing around scratched their heads and couldn't believe what they were seeing. Rick had long ago figured out that the extra reciprocating weight helped by not causing an abrupt shift in torque and thus upsetting the chassis when going into a turn.  Everyone with the high-buck engines would dart a bit when getting off the gas, but not Rick.  Smooth corners win races.

Nick

That's right, toyotatim, Rick was no different than any other competitive racer in that he wanted to win and found ways to do so.  I absolutely agree that every competitive crew chief has his/her claim to fame. No one's arguing that. Racing abounds with stories of racers who ran successfully without major funding. Thanks for pointing that out. 

The point is, though, that Rick obtained his well-deserved success with scant financial resources running against teams that were far better off financially at the time.

I can personally testify that instead of going with the 'trick of the week,"  he used his experience (a great teacher) and good physics, which is the same thing as common sense if you stop and think about it.  And Instead of figuring out ways to cheat, he left false clues for those snooping his car/shop that he might be cheating, even though he wasn't. That's called out-psyching the competition. 

For instance, we purposefully mislabeled suspension springs with the wrong rate.  I was always changing spring rates by a few pounds during race weekends to get that last tenth of a second out of the car.  While changing springs, I would leave the springs I was removing and the springs I was putting in laying around for the whole world to see.  Each spring was clearly marked with a bogus spring rate. The real rates were in a spread sheet I kept handy. 

And then there's the infamous Miller Lite beer can bolted to the rear deck with a little wire hanging down on the underside visible for all to see.  You can't believe the number of folks swearing that Rick had some sort of cheater device in that beer can.  LOL

Just saying.

Nick

If you watched the ARCA Daytona race broadcast you may remember the guest commentator was Ryan Blaney.  It's a small world out there.  Back when he was running the trucks, I was introduced to Ryan by Dan Longley (member Dano36) on here.  I met Dan through this board. We became good friends and attended a lot of races together.  Dan was originally from western Pennsylvania, just across the border from Sharon Speedway in Ohio.  For several years Dan and his brother were the scoring team at Sharon Speedway. That track was run by Lou Blaney, Ryan's grand-father.  The Blaneys were/are part owners of that track.  Dan was close friends of Lou and his wife Kate.

Dan was a decorated retired US Army Warrant Officer who resided in the San Antonio area after his retirement.  Unfortunately we lost Dan a few years ago.  What a fine gentleman he truly was.  We miss you Dan.  Here is the last pic I have of him, with the FLY-OVER Team at TMS.

IRLTMS1110.0001 [640x480] (3).jpg

Edited by Budman

• 3 weeks later...

ONE  of the best things and the best thing really about being on here is we get to meet poeple we would never have met before ..we get on here and go back and forth over our beliefs . sometimes we get mad .but heck happens everywhere  every day somewhere . but one thing is for sure we can turn this off ….  I HAVE LEARNED  alot here   I have met many I call friends now even if we never see each other  in person ..but when we do we become even closer …. this is where I have met some of the best poeple around . budman  dano and even someone who has jumped my butt a few times .. nick holt .. ...but ever grateful  for it .. dano dan the man was one I respected  loved and enjoyed every minute I knew him  even when we disagreed .. he never failed to find us in the pits in kyle  along with budman  .my son loved him my wife loved him .. and we all have missed him .. .

Edited by HiTech

• 3 years later...

Earlier in this thread (back in February 2020) I mentioned the time I was introduced to Ryan Blaney at Texas Motor Motor Speedway by Dan Longley. There is a pic of Dan on this thread in my post above. Ryan was running the truck series at the time. My, how things have changed since then.  🙂

Edited by Budman
correct sequence

Some changed, but Deegan is still tearing things up but marketing well into a full time Xfinity ride.  Salesmen/women are more successful as drivers than gear heads.  It has always been that way and will always be that way.  People just didnt understand it that way.  The older we get, we realize that the more money that you throw at it the faster you will be.  Not many broke people have won championships in anything.  If you are racing, you are wealthy to someone.  Some cant afford a bus ticket to go watch.  Be grateful, using the poor me card is ludicrous