Arlington Downs Raceway programs

txtom

Arlington Downs raceway was located in Arlington, Texas. This facility started life as a horse racing track located on property owned by W.T. Waggoner, the same person responsible for the huge North Texas Waggoner ranch. It opened for business in November 1929. It featured a 6,000 seat grandstand. 

The first auto race was a 100 mile AAA Championship race held on November 2, 1947, and won by Ted Horn with Paul Russo,  Emil Andres, Eddie Zalucki and Milt Fankhouser rounding out the top 5.

In the coming weeks I will have a couple more for this track, as well as a couple other collections of some historical significance.

Here are programs from 3 events from 1948 to 1950.   https://public.fotki.com/txtom/racing-programs/arlington-downs-raceway/ 

Thanks Bart,

I have a profound interest in anything that relates to this track, due to the involvement my father and grand father had with it.

If you look at page 3 of the 1948 program, you will see that the race was presented by a group called Racing International of Texas. The president, Allen Guiberson, was a well noted Dallas/Chicago business man that developed lots of oil field tooling. He also designed and sold diesel radial engines for Army tanks. In the very early 40's, Guiberson had one of his 1020 radials installed  on a Stinson Reliant, and my Grandfather was the pilot for the program. The diesel program was suspended during WWII, and dropped when it became apparent that  jet engines were the future. Guiberson was also a sports car enthusiast  who entered a few races in the World Sportscar Championships with various drivers that included Phil Hill, Carroll Shelby, Ernie Triplett and Richie Ginther. He also had an interest in Indianapolis racing. My Grandfather's Association with Guiberson set the stone for my families involvement to this day.  The  vice president of the sanctioning group was a man named E. Fred Lockwood, and I don't have any real history of him. The Secretary/Treasurer, E. Babe Stapp, was a driver with a checkered history as a driver, but  he also was the technical advisor for the movie "To Please a Lady" with Clark Gable and Barbara Stanwyck, which was partially filmed at Arlington Downs. My Mother has a picture of my Grandparents and the Stapps having dinner somewhere in the late 40's. Babe Stapp's son Stephen is the noted Indy/sprint builder and mechanic. Notable also is the Chief Starter for the race, Les Butler of Dallas. He needs no introduction to anyone even remotely familiar with Dallas racing history..  I will pull out a few things about all this in the next couple weeks,   

Edited by txtom

Can't wait, I too enjoy the stories surrounding this track and the players. I'll dig up some of my photos taken by a couple of local brothers from the infield during practice and the races. Candid photos of the cars and stars.

Bart Stevens

www.KurtisKraft.net

www.RadiusNation.net

• 2 weeks later...