Modified driver GW Edbert injured by flying concrete at I-37 last night, March 16

NickHolt

I wasn't at the track last night, but I understand that during a Modified race GW Egbert was injured when he was hit in the head by a piece of concrete that had dislodged after another car hit a  concrete wall.  Reportedly, GW was taken from the track by ambulance and has suffered some facial injuries that will require surgery.

There  are some questions being raised on FB about the immediate availability of an ambulance, but accusations or finger-pointing will not be tolerated here.

Our prayers for GW to recover quickly and be back behind the wheel soon.

Nick .

Most of the promoters at these dirt tracks are dirt racers.  There has to be a reason why they dont have an ambulance onsite.  I'm sure it's out of their hands.  

First off I am not knocking any track or promoter, I’m very thankful to have several tracks in the area to go and enjoy the sport. However I would love to hear the reasoning of not having an ambulance on site. I can remember many times racing being held up for an ambulance to replace the one that left with an injured driver/fan etc. I understand that there maybe emt’s on site fully capable of triage, but would you really want to wait 20-30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive if time is of the essence?

while we’re having the discussion how about fire fighting equipment, do you all think the area tracks would be able to handle a worst case scenario with a driver trapped?

just wanting to have an honest discussion 

Steve

I never have been fully convinced that a fully-staffed and fully-equipped ambulance is critical at any short track. What is needed at any short track, however, is a fully-equipped and fully-staffed fire suppression unit and a fully-qualified EMT or PA or MD present to triage whatever medical situations arise. 

If an injury is truly life-threatening or involves significant burns, the triage person will more than likely call an air ambulance or LifeFlight helicopter to transport the patient to the nearest Level One trauma facility. Even if a conventional ambulance were present on site, it would take far too long to get a critically injured patient to that trauma center.

On the other hand, if the injury is not life-threatening, the on-site medical staff can stabilize and/or treat the patient while an ambulance is on the way.

i know there is a lot of social media discussion on this topic, but let's keep the discussion here positive and bash-free.

Thanks.

Nick

I have never raced at a dirt track that had an ambulance on site.  Texas Thunder in Killeen owned an ambulance that they stocked and hired 2 EMTs to be there to operate it.  But it could not leave the parking lot.  so they would take the injured out and wait in the parking lot for a regular ambulance.  they would also stop the races until this happened because at that time there was no EMTs present.  I believe that they local ambulance services do not want one of their units just sitting at a race track when it needs to be ready to respond at a moments notice.  every track does have at least 1 EMT and Fire person on site to control the situation.  I dont believe its not the tracks wanting to supply an ambulance.  I believe its that they are unavailable.    

That's a great idea ,,,  used ambulance's are cheap to buy and alot of them for sale .. I would guess that Insurance is high and authority to use light's and siren for privite  use  would be a problem ,, But if it was given to local fire co. as a donation all of above would be  eliminated ..  but iit would not take their  primary amb out of service..   

I assume that ambulance expenses have had the same enormous cost increases as every other medically related expense. And Nathan is right. Owners aren't going to want to have a fully operational ambulance standing by, especially at a remote location that will be likely to cause a lengthy response time if they have another call in town. That means they will want to bill as on duty, not standing by. These considerations combined could lead to an astronomical expense item in the tens of thousands of dollars each season. I'm not privy to any track's budget numbers, but I doubt there is a promoter in the state that has that kind of surplus cash being generated by a dirt track. Freak stuff like this happens occassionally,  and drivers are just going to have to assess the risks and decide whether to run at any particular track or not. That's not aimed at slamming I-37 either - I've never been there or even spoken directly with anyone that's ever been there, fan or driver.

After Saturday Nights accident we have got several calls and messages about EMT's at I-37 Speedway. We have always had EMT's and Fire Personnel at every race since our very first race two seasons ago. We are working with Ata-Bexar Co. Line VFD for the 2019 season. They bring a 4 person crew with 2 EMT's with a well equipped Command vehicle to take care of medical emergencies with abilities to call in Life Flight if needed and Fire Truck for Fire Safety. Their crew members have worked at San Antonio Speedway and Thunderhill Raceway in Kyle and have experience with racing accidents and proper procedures to care for drivers. Please keep G.W Egbert and his family in your prayers for a speedy recovery.

Just in from I37 Facebook page. 

Archived