Talladega

toyotatim

Oh man, what a race, that was cool to watch.  It goes to show you money does not always get you up front.  Those Stewart-Hoss cars (like Dale Jr. Pronounced it) were the class of the field.  Noone could catch them, that was so cool, just like the old days.  Just think, the 10 won, that could have been Danica if she was still around.   

I don't think Danica could have gotten the job done. It was a strange race to watch. Nothing like I can recall for a long time. One string of cars and the rest of the field scattered. In my opinion the rest of the pack should have stayed organized and the Stewart-Hoss cars may not have ran away.

They sure did race back to the flag. But from the grandstands when that last wreck happened I thought the field would have been frozen since the white had already come out. Guess I will head on up to Ft. Worth and see what happens up there in a couple of weeks. 3 race weekend anyway.  

Well, get the race view and the scanner, there wont be any sleeping with all of that action.  The old way of watching it on the couch is out.  Get all of the bells and whistles  and enhance your race viewing experience.  This is 2018, come on man

I find it amazing how so many people get on here and preach about not bashing a track but at the same time cut our top tier events to shreds. That's so hypocritical. I like NASCAR, its a pleasant diversion to my everyday life. I agree with toyotatim, if you don't like it don't watch. Stay with your local tracks that are only a private club for members only to show off how much money they can blow. No wonder racing has lost so much appeal. It has nothing for the average fan. So preach to the choir, leave us NASCAR fans to at least one thread.

Thumper, I have had this conversation with Nick on the side. And unfortunately he allows, and apparently condones it, not that I agree with it, but it is his sand box. I am of the opinion that bashing any form of racing isn't good for any form of racing. No matter which platform it takes place on. 

FUNNY how gb calls some us hypocrites .thanks for the laugh gb ..did you not go on facebook or was it twitter and throw a temper over you car getting a dq ..I was read what you said about that track . wasn't very nice was it and you have done that with most tracks that hurt your feelings …….. now someone talked to nick and unfortunately he allows it and apparently condones it ….bash ..no different than some of us not agreeing that every thing is a happy song bird .. and yes I can be hypocritical just like everyone on here ........

NASCAR has always been fair game on this site as long as the rest of the usual LSSZ standards are followed.

1) NASCAR is a billion dollar corporation that markets ad space to other corporations. Car manufacturers, major sponsors and, increasingly, the government all dictate to NASCAR how their corporation will be run and have a major impact on rules and scheduling as a result.  Car manufacturers need winning seasons and NASCAR provides rules that insures that scenario is fulfilled. Sponsors need exposure and NASCAR arranges things to make sure sponsors are happy. The government sees to it that  it's environmental policies are incorporated into the show - think ethanol, no alcohol or tobacco sponsors, etc. 

2) NASCAR charges short track promoters/owners stiff sanctioning fees as well as forcing anyone racing or participating as an official, a racer or crew member to pay expensive NASCAR membership fees.

In return, the track got the right to use the NASCAR name and sometimes one of their corporate sponsors would kick in something tangible like paint for the bleachers or a scoreboard that never worked right, etc. Frankly, it was a bad deal for most tracks which is why you rarely see a NASCAR-sanctioned short track any longer.

Local competitors and officials got NASCAR insurance that was only effective after your private insurance was exhausted.  Not much better than any insurance that tracks routinely obtain on their own. When I was NASCAR Chief Steward at San Antonio Speedway back in the 90s, I had to pay for an expensive NASCAR Competition as did every participant whether driver and crew and official. 

3)  NASCAR hurt short tracks by scheduling some of their races on Friday (trucks, etc) and Saturday evenings, traditional short track racing nights. Tracks all over the country took a loss if they scheduled on a NASCAR night event or just stopped racing on NASCAR nights. 

4)  With all their money and resources, NASCAR could have done a whole lot to actually help short track racing, but chose not to. Instead they collected lots of money from tracks gullible enough to believe a NASCAR sanction would guarantee success. I'm sure with all the brain power in the NASCAR board room,  programs could be initiated that would actually benefit local short track racing, whether dirt or asphalt. 

So, while I do not allow inflammatory posts concerning Texas tracks/series or their officials or fellow racers or local sponsors, I do allow posts that criticize NASCAR as long as it's civil and reasonable.

If that makes me a hypocrite, so be it... 

Nick

Nascar has marketing power that can benefit those willing to use it.   The short tracks should make their schedules around Nascars, not the other way around.  Nascar's schedules are out way in advance of any short track.   The tail wagging the dog is ludicrous.

Also, Nascar paid nice year end payments to champions at short tracks.  Before the mob type attack against them, the regional champs were paid around $30,000.    But, the mobs or democrats are not smart enough to figure out if you kill the guy with the money, the money goes away.  

Well I don't know about the money thing but I do know there is no local track anywhere near where I live. At least no oval track. We do have a huge drag racing community and mud trucks are a big deal as well. I just happen to prefer oval track racing and NASCAR provides that for me and a lot of other people around here. There's not much on TV about local tracks.

That does not mean I love everything NASCAR does. Most tracks are too big and the cars are too fragile for real grass roots racing. More like airplanes, they are victims of aerodynamics way too much. This could explain why venues like Bristol and Martinsville have the bigger followings. You have heard the saying "rubbing is racing" and indeed in the early days it was. But today a simple rub can eliminate a drivers chances because wind is deflected wrong or a fender rubs a tire to blow. No rubbing, no racing ? NASCAR incorrectly thinks just speed in enough to keep people on the edge of their seats and possibly live it might. But watch what happens when a leader for an hour or so suddenly has an issue and a couple of others catch up and the race begins. The announcers ask "will he move him over"  Everyone wants to know the answer. 3 1/2 hours of buzzing engines for a few minutes od suspense. Well, its worth it for me, I don't care about people chasing balls.

Now my idea would be put some bumpers and reinforcement in the bodies and let them rub and race. Slow them down if needed, forget the air and let engines and suspensions be what the drivers control to get the lead. Old school. If you want to race airplanes, go to the airport. The reason dirt track racing is so popular at some areas is it IS contact racing. Could be the same at asphalt tracks, if fact it WAS at CC Speedway a decade or two ago. Wake up NASCAR, you have lost your roots.

This is my bashing NASCAR. A suggestion how to improve. Hopefully I'm not stupid enough to " kill the man with the money" and have to learn drag racing instead. The diggers have already figured this racing deal out.

Archived