For Immediate Release

Press and Public Relations Department

Bobby Chaffee, Public Relations Director

Ph: (903) 576-4144 (512) 557-7393

Bobby@digitalgrease.com

USRA All Star Race Truck Victory Stands for Jon Denham

San Antonio, Texas (May 16, 2005) – USRA Decision on Corpus Christi Race

Statement from USRA All Star Race Truck Series Race Director Bubba Bankston

Terry Barden USRA Vice President of Racing Operations took the valve springs in question of the #26 truck of Jon Denham to Mission Auto Parts for further evaluation. Mission Auto Parts is a highly respected engine builder in south Texas. They are an independent third party. The valve springs were inspected and found to be within the legal limit of the rule book. The USRA All Star Race Truck Series win at Corpus Christi Motor Speedway for Jon Denham will stand and all event points and monies will be given as stated prior to the event. The valve spring inspection tool used by the USRA All Star Race Truck Series will be replaced by another inspection tool in the interest of fairness towards competitors and competition.

Statement from USRA President and CEO Terry Dickerson

I am pleased with the USRA officials. They took the time to re evaluate the situation and make sure that any questionable calls be taken to another source for further inspection. This is something that we have done in the past and will continue to do in the future in the interest of competition.

For more information on the United States Racing Association please visit the series’ website at www.USRASpeed.com

###

I was happy to see the USRA officials take steps and ask questions to make sure this situation was handled as fair as it could be and that the Truck series was given the same level of consideration and effort that the SLM series would get. It would have been the easy thing to do just to stick with the initial test results. We would have all thought an innocent man was a cheater. They weren't afraid to ask questions of experienced and knowledgeable people and took the time to make sure it was done right. Good Job Bubba, TB, TD, and whoever else worked to make this right.

in fairness to the usra they know what it means-the adminastrator can remove if he feels the need ... but why should she have to explain anthing?

Rookie49

In all fairness to USRA !

They know that they started a fast truck at the rear, because his transponder did not pick up. Had been working all day worked on his warm up lap, was blinking when he came in. Instead of putting another one on they just put him to the rear.

This all taking place after another truck that did not even have a transponder on, got one and went back out getting two qualifying laps.

Horse,

That wasn't a negative comment on my part. What I meant was that with it just hanging out there it implies that either she was whining, or USRA was cheating. I like to think that neither would be the case. With a little more explanation, people can decide for themselves. This forum has a ton of drivers who read it. But sometimes everyone forgets that there are a ton of fans who do also. We don't know the inside scoop on some of these things. We are wannabe car owners and drivers and I would say that this forum has done a lot to improve the car counts and fan counts. But on the forum everybody is part of the same group, race lovers. So when something is posted here, we all want to understand it. :)

I appreciate your comments Racing Mom...it was just a bad decision made in the heat of the moment...Honestly, I still don't see how in the world the decisions were made the way they were made within 5 minutes of each other, esp with me being the second one...and I ended up getting taken out by a truck .6 of a second slower than me on lap 2...and two other innocent trucks got torn up in the process...but, stuff happens and we all make mistakes...it absolutely killed me to watch that race...absolutely killed me...once or twice a year you get a completely perfect truck, and I had one, not good, not great, totaly kick (self edited) ass perfect...doesn't mean I would have won, but it would have been fun. That's what you come for. Those guys in front were putting on a hell of a race. Man. (self edited).

However, both Linda Barden and Terry Dickerson talked to me and appologized profusely and have come up with a way to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else again. Mr. Dickerson wasn't at the track at the time the decisions were made. He called me Monday and told me for some reason during the truck race, they ended up having to score 6 of the trucks manualy because the timing and scoring system quit registering them. There was no problem during the SLM race. They are trying to figure out what the deal is. It has never happened before. They are looking at some combination of the transponders, positioning of the transponders on the trucks, the scoring loop at CCMS, trucks themselves, and/or the timing and scoring system up top. Things like this are very hard to figure out when it is not effecting everyone and it is not a consistant problem. I believe they are doing everything they can to make sure when mistakes happen, they don't happen twice. Mr. Dickerson could not have been more genuine about getting it fixed and I appreciate the fact he took the time to call me.

Selling the truck is just because I'm ready to go late model racing...not a political response...just too far out to spend the rest of the year chasing points and hoping other people suffer misfortune...was 50/50 on late models or trucks to start the year and I already have a late model collecting dust...just a bidness and time committment decision...I was already planning on running selected TSRS races and registered with them at the beginning of the year...if the houston late models traveled with USRA that's what I would do...trucks are a blast...the series is in the best shape it has ever been in...best racing around and great people...so cool racing with the SLM's and the big crowds, gonna miss that...I'll be sure to come by and boo the 22! LOL

Archived