TBS Hobby Stock Team Dominant at THR

Release: May 10, 2005

Taylor's TBS Racing Hobby Stock Team Dominates at Thunder Hill

Kyle – Though Taylor teen Tracy Tschoerner likely lost the Thunder Hill Raceway Hobby Stock points lead on Saturday night, the TBS Racing trio of Tschoerner, her uncle Joe Tschoerner of Bartlett and Taylor teammate Kevin Bowen had the class covered; Bowen winning the first heat race and Joe the second with Tracy in third in the second heat. Bowen took the lead in the feature from the pole and never lost it, but there was a lot going on behind him. Joe Tschoerner was fighting a push, but running in the top five. Tracy started the night as the points leader and so had to start at the back of the pack but swiftly moved toward the front. A couple of cautions bunched the field, one of them caused when another car moved across the track, clipped Tracy's #11 and then spun out.

As the officials couldn't see who caused the action, both cars were put to the rear of the field and Tracy started a charge to the front that took her up to sixth place before officials decided to wave the checkered flag five laps early due to the delays caused by earlier caution periods. That left Bowen, who had been losing power due to a broken exhaust manifold was burning through his spark plug wires, to take his first feature win with Joe in fourth and Tracy sixth.

###

*** Not taking sides just statement of fact ***

THR has an All involved rule.... so... If the 11 and 58 were put to the back then it was seen that the 11 and 58 made contact resulting in a caution...

Don't blame it on "Blind officials please"

"As the officials couldn't see who caused the action,"

Most racing writers use phrases like "made contact with," or "traded paint with," or "got into each other" when describing "racing incidents" in their reports, even when the writer may have an opinion as to who actually got into whom.

The reason, of course, is that racing writers are very aware that most racing incidents are viewed differently depending on the viewer's perspective, location, experience and personal relationship with the individuals involved in the incident. Race reporters, on the surface anyway, try hard to maintain their objectivity, so they stay away from phrases like "he/she put him/her into the wall," or he/she turned into him/her," etc., because it ascribes fault for an incident when who is at fault may be in dispute.

TQ's role in writing the about post was not a race reporter but rather a public relations person for the team who is paying for his services. Quite naturally, he is expected to paint a positive picture and express opinions that reflect favorably upon his clients.

That being said, as long as things are kept civil, we all (including race officials) have a right to agree or disagree with TQ's perspective.

Aint' racing fun?

Nick Holt

Went out to dictionary.com....

Looked up "Fun"

A source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure. >>>>Yup

Playful, >>>>>>Seen that

often noisy,>>>>> Without a doubt even with a muffler!!!

activity.>>> Yeah it sure is..

So Nick in answer to your question.. per Websters... Racing is VERY Fun!!!!

Inspired by Aaron, I looked up blind and found an interesting definition- "Unable or unwilling to perceive or understand"...as in turned a blind eye...that about sums up the all involved rule to me...

I was hoping TQ would respond to Matt's inquiry...who knew Nick would bail TQ out! I would have lost money on that one!

Just to back Nick up a bit,

Race announcers also are very wise if they to don't always "tell it like it realy was" either.

One of the first leasons the great Russ Martin taught me years ago was, never say "the 43 took the 44 out". Or "22 just nailed the 55, what the heck was he thinking?"

Discretion goes a long way. And I know if your in the car, you can't hear me, but I used the exact same words to discribe what happened. The 11 and 58 got together going into turn three. That is what happened, but not what caused the contact. There is a big difference. The first one I will announce, the second I won't.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Larry-

No, Nick's right. That just doesn't mean he's accurate.

Matt-

See you at THR on Saturday.

Last Saturday I helped tech the TPS cars at THR and after I was done, I was walking towards the scales when I noticed Matt Hodge and his father standing near their Hobby Stock. I started to chat with them when about that time ... well to make a very intense story short, I found myself standing in between a group of very unhappy Tschoerners and two very unhappy Hodges next to the Hodge pit.

Both sides felt that the other was 100% at fault for whatever took place out on the track (I didn't get to see that race since I was busy with the TPS tech stuff) and hurled accusations and threats at each other. As the two groups got closer and closer together, I thought for sure a fight was about to break out.

Like a fool, I stepped in between the two groups and, miraculously, the confrontation broke up. I probably should have been torn to shreds trying to intervene like that, but the only injury I sustained was from kicking myself in the butt for getting into the middle of something that was absolutely none of my business.

Which brings me to my point, TQ. Why not use neutral phrases instead of the "accurate" description you used that implied that one party was at fault and that the reason your client was sent to the back was because the track officials just missed the call. In my opinion that's throwing fuel on an already volatile situation.

Nick Holt

Race announcers also are very wise if they to don't always "tell it like it realy was" either.

One of the first leasons the great Russ Martin taught me years ago was, never say "the 43 took the 44 out". Or "22 just nailed the 55, what the heck was he thinking?"

Discretion goes a long way.

Geez, Sarge....

NOW YOU TELL ME!!!

:o:o:o:D:P

So did Matt pull a JJ or not?

And to the announcers: Maybe you should consider it. The announcers on TV do it and sometimes they are wrong or don't agree with each other or find out more info after the fact. But it adds color and excitement to the show for the fans. Drivers just have to accept it and deal with it. I mean so what, it's not like you guys actually know what you're talking about anyway! Just Kidding Guys! Heck, we can't hear it anyway and we can't tivo it and play it back...The announcers are there to entertain and inform the fans; they are not there for the drivers benefit. Can you imagine if you guys called a wrestling match? Someone gets slammed over the head with a chair and you guys say "Looks like they both had a little incidental contact".

My Vote is call it the way you see it...isn't that your job?

I received a call a few minutes ago from Terry Tschoerner who wanted to set the record straight. He said he was upset that I had used the phrase a "group of very unhappy Tschoerners" who approached the Hodge pit. He asked me if I could tell him who it actually was that came over to confront the Hodges and I could only correctly ID three people from his race teams. He said that the rest of the people were from other race teams.

I apologize to Terry for implying that all seven or eight members of the angry group that was looking to confront the Hodges after the Hobby Stock race were Tschoerners.

Nick Holt

All this action and there's no security in the pits???? :huh:

I'm just pokin' at you guys. I wouldn't expect any trouble from Matt's Group or the Tschoerners. We all get ticked at each other from time to time out there, but it's been ages since I saw anything that I thought would actually escalate beyond verbal jabs.

We've all raced together for too many years to start fighting now, right? ;)

But seriously, THR should consider hiring security like they always have in the past, at least until the thief is caught.

racerx

And to the announcers: Maybe you should consider it. The announcers on TV do it and sometimes they are wrong or don't agree with each other or find out more info after the fact. But it adds color and excitement to the show for the fans. Drivers just have to accept it and deal with it.

And

My Vote is call it the way you see it...isn't that your job?

You first racerx.

Huge differences between announcers on TV and me. Number one: I am better than all of them. ;):P Number two, they are professionals dealing with highly funded (sponsored) professionals. I deal with mostly hip pocket funded locals. One group loses a huge amount if they punch me in the nose; the other loses not much. Number three, those TV guys are insulated, can't get near them. It's been a while since I had armed security following me around.

And please, for the love of God, do not ever compare wrestling and racing again. Not even close. The wrestling announcers are reading from a script, the same script the wrestlers are acting out. You do know that wrestling is fake, don't you?

So, come on up and find me at whatever track I am announcing at. I will let you announce a race and you can "call it like you see it". If the fans, family, and or crew of the driver you just pissed off (ignoring for a moment weather what you called was right or not) leave you alive, you can come back and do it again.

And saying "the 11 and 58 got together going into turn three" is perfectly honest. It is what happened. I just leave out the why it happened. You can judge that one for yourself.

And I challenge anyone that wants to try announcing to look me up. I will give you a shot at it during a heat race. You never know, we just might discover the next Eli Gold. Must be at least 18 years old, and sober. Management (me) reserves the right to unplug the mic at anytime I deem necessary to protect my employer, the fans, or the drivers.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

I said just kidding, but, I didn't know if I would get you whining on here saying you come do this job or Chuck leaving me a nasty message first...congradulations, you won! Hopefully, Chuck knows me well enough to know I respect the job you guys do and I was not picking on him.

Announcing is hard...I have said that on here before...I think you are a good announcer (need to hook up with a good dj though)...besides, quit changing the subject...

you guys got on here saying you don't call the races the right way because you are worried about what the drivers would say

Discretion goes a long way.

That is what you said, right? Those are your words, right? You should call it the way you see it...you are the one that admitted you are not telling it like it is...I think that stinks and is total BS...I did not say anything about your or Chuck's or any other announcers ability...I think the announcers are part of the show and you are cheating the fans by worrying about a drivers wittle feewings and not calling it for all it's worth...it's supposed to be a show...the drivers and thier families have to understand that...If they can't get it, then they should get booted...Drivers only have to worry about what the officials and other drivers think...and there is security if you're afraid to tell the truth because of your personal safety...besides, I didn't say dog cuss the drivers or call them names...but if someone punts somebody, just say it...be funny about it...believe me, the drivers are saying worse to each other...The first time a driver or his/her family gets on here whining about what the announcer said we will all give them a barrage of WAAAAAAA.

You musta misssed the last truck race...talk about a wrestling match! And THR packed them in for a demo derby...hmmm...how far from wrestling is that?...brings more fans...hmmm...HELLO!!! It's all about the experience for the fans...maybe we all could learn a little from the WWF...It's all about the fans!

PS - I can't hear you when I'm driving, so feel free to dog cuss me. I'll sell more shirts.

Larry-

I almost jumped in before you posted about "calling it like you see it," but you beat me to it.

For what it's worth, football, baseball, basketball, and so on, used to be called by guys either paid by the teams, or told by the league officials to never criticize the coaches or players.

Howard Cosell, as big an A-what as he was, helped change that, and so did Don Meredith, and they caught hell for it. But John Madden would be out of an announcing job if they hadn't paved the way.

How about the NASCAR coverage? Don't we all complain when the announcers let things slide without comment, or try to sugar-coat it? If you can't stand for someone to criticize you, you aren't going to make it in any sport, let alone auto racing.

To get good, you have to be willing to look like a doofus sometimes. Everybody who made it did. Do you think Michael Jordon was "Air Jordan" the first time he hit the court? Was Earnhardt always the "Intimidator?" (Not with a pink car, he wasn't.)

You also won't get far if you let little things bother you. I've watched good drivers get so bent out of shape at being beat by a 14- or 16-year-old kid they couldn't even function. (I watched one night as one of Central Texas' current best drivers pulled off the track to keep from being "beat" by a kid. Oh, there's a lot of self-confidence. Luckily, he got wise.)

Others have a problem with girl drivers, and get distracted because they'll do anything to "prove" girls don't belong out there.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can beat you, and those who can't, and gender has nothing to do with it.

Do officials make bad calls? Heck, yes, and do we want to end up like basketball or some sport where criticizing the ref gets you fined or suspended? Uh-uh. Matt Hodge got punted once last year in what was a clear act of deliberate assault, and got put to the back "because he was involved." Officials admitted it was a deliberate hit, and took the other driver off the track, but also put Hodge to the back.

No rule, including the "all-involved" rule, is going to insulate officials from making judgment calls. If nothing else, they may get criticized for not making a call at all, and they should, and the fans and the announcer should be talking about it, calling it like they see it, arguing about it, and apologizing when or if they turn out to be wrong.

You can't take the passion out of the game, any game, and have it be fun.

How many in the angry mob were carrying torches? Man, can't believe I missed it. Last year Jay Simon said there was a long line of people waiting to kick his ass. Sounds like there is a new line quickly forming.

You got that right and see it payed off somebody still remimbers me...lol Well I hope the line is not in my pits. First race out and I have to say that was the best time I have had in a long time. I kept it clean and nobody showed up in my pits to kick my tail.

Archived