Austin Street Races

Garrett

Does anyone (else) remember the SCCA sponsored  Austin Street Races, run in conjunction with the Austin Aqua Festival? I attended, and sometimes worked these races in the 1960s. I always had a great time, and vowed to race in them eventually. In 1977 I (finally) raced in, and WON my class A-Production. Any memories or pictures?

2.jpg.ee84db65c8a657c315e9e5d820276d00.jpg

L88 Austin.tif

• 2 years later...

The ones I know of were called the River City Road Races.  Sponsored by the Texas Spokes and sanctioned by the Green Valley Racing Association (out of Dallas) from 1974 to 1978.  It was run on parts of Barton Springs Road, Riverside, and others around the Palmer Events Center.  What do you remember from the earlier years?

River City Road Races 1974.jpg

River City Road Races 1975.jpg

River City Road Races 1976.jpg

River City Road Races 1977.jpg

River City Road Races 1978.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 3:48 PM, RodneyRodriguez said:

I seem to remember the Stock Cars did that as well? Seem to recall Friday night races at Speed-O-Rama and they would head downtown the next day, probably would have been the Late Model Sportsman cars.

Yes, Lots of Late Models that you saw at the short tracks. Funny story from back then-- on  a practice day, "Moose" Bowen and Luke Griffin are standing watching an open practice. Some guy in a sports car (SCCA style racer) come pulling back into the pits, gets out of his car fairly near where Moose and Luke are standing. Remember both were pretty large size men. The guy gets out all shaken and mad and when his crew asked him what was wrong, he went into a tirade about the true late model guys; how fast they were going, how close they were racing each other and others, and how loose the cars were. He went on to say they were dangerous and should not be out there. Luke and Moose started laughing, and when the sporty guy asked why they were laughing, Griffin said, "Hey, they are out there just having fun, wait until tomorrow when they get serious". Would have loved to see the guys face when Luke said that.  

I have no idea if anyone out there has any results from those Aquafest races; also do not know who promoted them.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:05 PM, txtom said:

Yes, Lots of Late Models that you saw at the short tracks. Funny story from back then-- on  a practice day, "Moose" Bowen and Luke Griffin are standing watching an open practice. Some guy in a sports car (SCCA style racer) come pulling back into the pits, gets out of his car fairly near where Moose and Luke are standing. Remember both were pretty large size men. The guy gets out all shaken and mad and when his crew asked him what was wrong, he went into a tirade about the true late model guys; how fast they were going, how close they were racing each other and others, and how loose the cars were. He went on to say they were dangerous and should not be out there. Luke and Moose started laughing, and when the sporty guy asked why they were laughing, Griffin said, "Hey, they are out there just having fun, wait until tomorrow when they get serious". Would have loved to see the guys face when Luke said that.  

I have no idea if anyone out there has any results from those Aquafest races; also do not know who promoted them.

That is funny tex. I get a laugh  when first timers come out and watch practice .man those drivers are hauling the mail .. i said a couple of times wait till they turn on the after burners 

Edited by HiTech

Thanks for the posts - any idea what year this may have occurred in?  Trying to put together a timeline of these 'street races'.  I thought they were only in the late 7970's but now I'm hearing they started as early as the 1960's and may have continued into the 1980's.  Can't seem to find any definitive history on them.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:05 PM, txtom said:

..... he went into a tirade about the true late model guys; how fast they were going, how close they were racing each other and others, and how loose the cars were. He went on to say they were dangerous and should not be out there. Luke and Moose started laughing, and when the sporty guy asked why they were laughing, Griffin said, "Hey, they are out there just having fun, wait until tomorrow when they get serious".

I've heard it said that Greg Davidson had the same problem at one of those type events.  Track officials came around asking if he was having problems.  He said "No.  Why do you ask"?  They said "Well, you were pretty loose out there".  He said "Well, I'll admit I don't have it completely dialed in yet".   They said "OK, we'll give you another chance".  

Only problem was, they didn't feel anymore comfortable as the day went on.  They told him  to not come back until "he could get his car under control"...... :lol:

Pretty funny - dilettante racers upset with a serious racer.....

Edited by Bobby