Results at Thunder Hill for TPS

slysnake

What happened in the TPS race at Thunder Hill last night? I heard from one of the drivers early this morning it was kinda like a wreck fest? Two cars rolled over & one pretty much destroyed? Everyone ok? Someone give us the scoop!

The TPS race wasn't the only wreck-fest. For some reason, that was the theme for the night. Fortunately, most of them were minor compared to the big one in the TPS race.

What I saw - the 22 car solo spun coming out of turn 2 and came to rest in the middle of the track just out of turn 2. The leaders came around mixed in with some lapped traffic. It looked like the 72 never saw the 22 sitting dead on the track and nailed him hard. It looked like a near full-speed hit. That sent the 22 on his roof, and the 70 then nailed the 72 in the rear, cuasing the 70 to also do an end-over onto his roof. It was a big mess. Moore was sent to the hospital for observation, but they were announcing that he was OK. Hope that's true.

The Hobby Stock race had to be shortened by 5 laps due to the number of cautions as well.

The SS feature made it 11 laps before the rain came, so they decided to consider that feature incomplete. :angry:

cs

any results on the local classes

James Reeder won the LM feature. It was the best race of the night.

Kevin Bowen won the hobby feature.

Jim Teague won the SS race that was cancelled due to rain. 99 was in second. Before the caution, I think 3rd and 4th were 83 and 91.

cs

A complete "Race Report" story and Official TPS Results are available on:

Announcements, Press Releases, and Results section of TXSZ.

As of 1:26pm Monday, I now have a medical condition report from a telephone call to # 70 Donnie Moore. At the suggestion of the Thunder Hill Raceway EMS, who placed him on a back board, Donnie Moore went to South Austin Hospital for a condition check by ER staff doctors. Donnie said "The doctor told me I have a strained lower lumbar muscle. My backbone is OK. He told me to lay up for three days with no activity. I will probably miss the TPS race San Antonio Speedway unless I feel better by Thursday. If I do, I have the offer of a ride from another TPS car in order to not interupt my TPS points status. We will return with one of the two VW Sciroccos George Merrell owns in time for the May 28 TPS race at Thunder Hill Raceway. Thanks for everyones concern about me".

# 72 Candi Hogan went to Seaton Northwest Hospital in Austin. I talked to her at 12:55pm Sunday. She said the hospital took X-rays, saw no breaks and released her last night. She told me she is sore with belt bruises and a bruised foot which bent the brake pedal. She vows to race at San Antonio Speedway May 14.

# 22 Harry Osburn returned my call. Harry said "I initiated the wreck by going into turn #1 to fast and spun. Candi flushed me so hard the impact knocked my helmet off. Then Donnie Moore vaulted over Candi's car, impacted my car and it turned over too. I am uninjured. The car is hurt but we'll try to repair it for SAS May 14".

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

all is ok with me. can't say the same for my car. if i had some of the resourses my competitors have i could be running again next week. but it looks like it will be the following race before we're back together. we are however going to give it a good try to race this weekend in san antonio.

I will take a banged up car over driver anyday..

Cars are a lot easier to fix... My hat goes out to the crews and builders of those cars..

Roll bars and most other saftey messures did their job..

Only comment Everyone check your fuel cells not sure if you can check your flapper valve it closes if overturned... but i think anyone can agree upside down and leaking gas are not comforting..

Also... teams please make your master cut off switch painfully ovious and within easy reach... of you and the outside aid!!

Safty FIRST!!!!

Aaron

THR Turn 4 official

Neil,

Thank you very much for the update. We have all been very concerned about Donnie's condition since Saturday night. I'm glad to hear that the injury was not more serious. You always hate to see a driver leave the track in an ambulance. I have to commend the EMT's, Safety Crew and Officials for their quick response to the accident. Any driver at Thunder Hill should find comfort in knowing that help will be there quickly in the event of an accident. Get well soon Donnie and we'll all be praying for a speedy recovery.

Greg Gurley

To everyone concerned,I would like to give some advice to all the racers out there,this is Randy Larsen and I have been racing with the Pro Sedans for about 8 years and have myself experienced some bad wrecks(I have been upside down twice).I am currently rebuilding the #72 VW Bug that Candy Hogan was driving saturday night,during one of the worst wrecks, the Pro Sedans have seen throughout the years.While looking through the car I noticed that where her racing harness passes through the seat,the aluminum lip it passes over was bent forward.Candy suffered severe whiplash and had some severe pain near a bone just below her neck,after looking at all of this we have concluded that when she rammed the #22 car and her body was thrown forward,the racing belt bent the lower lip where the harness passes through the seat ,then she was hit from behind by race leader Donnie Moore,she was thrown back into the bent part of the seat,and I can tell you that she is extremely lucky that this bent metal lip did not break her neck or damage her spine.My suggestion to all racers is that you support this part if the seat very well and try to make your seat belt mounts more of a straight pull through this hole in the seat,and please wear a neck brace of some type.Thank God she and the other drivers will be O.K. and she has got alot of guts after a wreck this bad,wanting to race a.s.a.p..............Thanks for listening,Hope this brings some awareness.........Randy Larsen

That is a good idea to contact the seat manufacturer (Kirkley) and see if they might have an idea about how to prevent this from happening,but I personally am going to add another smaller diameter bar right up next to the lip that bent on her seat and bolt the edge of the lip to itso the belts actually pass over the bar instead of the seat belt opening edge................Thanks all,Randy Larsen.........If anyone wants to see the pictures of the wreck,go to www.texasprosedans.com the pictures are on the opening page in order of happening...................

colt...the helmet strap apparently wasn't tight enough. i normally give it a good tug right before going out on the track. i don't recall doing that this time. the helmet is an older model simpson (full face). the strap was still intact and laced together. i did try and put it back on without undoing the strap and it wouldn't go on. hope this helps.

After any serious accident you should also have your helmet looked at by the manufacturer. A lot of the times they will even look at it for free. As far as Donnie is concerned, I saw him Monday and he was moving around a lot better than can be expected.

Archived