carburator problems?

Im working on a 76 toyota celica. Car has a 2 barrell carburator, one jet seems to be working properly, the other isnt working at all. I already pulled the jet off and cleaned it and it still isnt working. Car has an intermentin stall problem when stoping. Im thinking that replacement of the carburator would fix the problem. What do yall think. Any advise would help

thanks

sean B)

almost 30yrs old if original carb-i'd probably replace it and not keep messing with it if thats the problem-hate to be trying to jump in traffic and have it stall and get splattered in the side-maybe the thing where somebody has to "notify next of kin"-

It's just a piece of metal. Unless there are worn parts like the throttle shaft, it "should" be cleanable. That said, I had a Toyota truck of about the same vintage, '75 I think.. It had been sitting for a year and the owner had tried to start it a couple of times then let it sit. Bottlom line, it had been left with fuel in the bowl until it dried out, filled and dried again at least three times. By the time I got it (for a mere $300), the carburetor was hoplessly gummed up. There are passages in that thing smaller than a hair (or so it seems). I could probably have gotten it to go with about a week in the carb soak tank but I found a $20 junkyard special that still had the "rebuilt" tag wired on to it.

How much time and money do you want to spend? What do you do with it when it runs? A Weber kit from Redline will get it running sweet for about $400. A rebuilt at the parts store will probably set you back ~$200 (best guess). A gallon can of GUNK and a couple of days soaking + a rebuild kit will cost you about $100 (maybe less). A junkyard will get you one for less than $50 I would think but it would still need the kit. The only way to really clean one well is with the GUNK soak (no spray cans!), the active ingredient is creositic acid. It stinks but it works..

BTW, the "stalling when stopping" could as easily be a bad EGR valve or really bad valve seals or any number of other 30 year old car woes..

Archived