Bob Lyle headed to THR

ChuckLicata

Hey gang..

I got an email from Bob Lyle--the guy whom you ALL made feel very special with your emails... :D

Here's part of that email..

Chuck -

I really do appreciate the concern you and the other members of the racing community have expressed ..

I am planning on attending the races at Thunder Hill tomorrow night. I'm even cleaning up my Avanti so that I can drive it out there! I finally got it back together last weekend and the mini-starter decided to start dragging on the flexplate! Geez...talk about NOISE! I swapped it out last night and all seems well again.

Just FYI to the great folks at THR...

that would make him feel really special getting to take his avanti on the track in front of everyone.........hell let him be the pace car for the night................glad to see he was able to bounce back quickly and is going to be able to make it to the track

To add to Budman about the Avanti--

-It was designed by Ray Lowey, who also designed railroad locomotives, the layout for the original Air Force One Presidential plane, and a few other cars.

-As designed it had a drag co-efficient in the 30's, when most of the cars of it's era measured in the 50's.

-The early production cars suffered from having the back glass blow out of the car above 100 MPH.

-Most Production Avantis were 289 CID, stock was the R1 10.25 to 1 compression version, and the R2 was the same engine, but 9 to 1 compression with a supercharger. They also made the racing R3, a very rare 9.5 to 1 compression 304 inch supercharged engine, but most cars had the R1 or R2 engine. The 289 is not the Ford engine.

While not sold to the public, there was also the R4, a nonsupercharged 304, and the R5, a DUAL supercharged 304 that reportedly redlined at 7000 RPM, and produced 575 HP. Unofficial HP numbers were closer to 640.

The supercharger was built by Paxton, which at the time, was a products division of Studebaker. It provided 5 lbs of boost. All were 4 bbl carbs.

It would be great for Mr. Lyle to display this car, There are a lot of folks out there who don't know the Avanti.

Have a good friend who used to own an R2 Avanti.

Car did not look like anything else in it's time, but, like Budman stated, it still had a weird attractiveness about it.

Honestly not sure.. I added him to my guest list however spent almost the entire night in the infield so i am not sure if he was there.

When i email him to let him know, he had said that he didn't want special treatment... so he may have been in the shadows..

Archived