Great Experience

Josh42

Josh, way to go. I think that boy will be a fan for life.

Recently, a man in his late 20's stopped me as I walked up the steps to the press box at Houston Motorsports Park. He said he recognized me from when he was a kid and wanted to shake my hand.

Huh??

Seems twelve or thirteen years ago, Anthony Jetter and I went to a few elementary schools in the San Antonio area for "Career Day" events. We either got up in front of the assembly or spent the day talking to 6-7 different classes about how computers and math are very important even in something as exciting as stock car racing.

Of course, we had Anthony's race car there and at the appointed time we fired it up. True, some of the teachers shook their heads and covered their ears, but let me tell you about the pure excitement in the eyes of some of the students!!

Well, that young man said he was one of those students. He talked his parents into taking him to SAS that week with the "Half-Price Admission" coupon we gave to the teachers to distribute to their students as they saw fit, and he has been a race fan ever since, even though his family moved to Houston shortly thereafter.

Reaching kids is important if we hope to grow new fans as Josh has so beautifully reminded us. And participating in school Career Days is a real good way to reach kids.

All you have to do is call the school principals in your area and volunteer. More than half will gratefully accept your offer especially if you tell them you are all about promoting a concept such as "Stay in school,' "Don't do drugs," "Math is essential in stock car racing," or "Driver safety."

And take the muffler off before you fire it up.. LOL

Nick Holt

what ever happened to anthony jetter...............is he still racing or did he give it up...........i remember watching him run when i was younger

Anthony runs the entire service department at Ancira Chevrolet on Bandera Road, just outside of Loop 410.

For many years he was the Service Manager at Gunn Olds over by the airport on 410, and when it closed Ancira grabbed him quick.

Anthony's #99 TPS SAAB is up on jackstands in his shop along with the #99 Olds SAS Late Model that Anthony, Buddy Pavlich and Anthony's brother Gerald built from the ground up.

That SAAB was really fun to watch. Anthony won many races in that car and still holds the TPS track record at TWS.

Anthony has kept in the sport by building engines for several teams at SAS and helps out on Frank Johnson's cars when he can find the time.

I'm trying to talk Anthony into restoring the SAAB. Under the TPS rules that SAAB should be able to give the Scirocco and BMW all they can handle.

Nick Holt

Archived