Great Experience

Josh42

I have to say yesterday was one of my most wonderful experiences of my life. The last time we raced in Kyle I met a 4 yr old boy named Billy Stan and his father Bill in the stands. They were sitting next to my mother and father coming out of turn 4. Well it all started with this being his first race he as ever attended. Well when I went up to see my mother after qualifying his dad was talking to me about my racing and then I told him about the JRA kids club. After that I ended up taking my picture with his son signing a couple autographs for him and talking to his son. Well they went and signed up for the JRA and after that I told him after the races that no matter how my night went that I wanted him to come down to our pit and i would let him sit in the truck and get a picture in it. Well when I went up to the stands during the late model little Billy was passed out asleep in his dads arms. After the races they went ahead and went home and I gave his dad a picture of our truck and told him that next time I would see what I could do to get his son in the pits to take a picture before he went asleep. Then on tuesday when I went up to Gunnar's to work on the truck I noticed the LF Fender was broke in two well I got an idea. Last night I went to Billy's house and gave Billy that fender, a diecast truck, and then gave Billy a certifacate to be and honorary crew chief for my truck. The look on his face, has dad's, sisters, and mothers face was just memorable. His mother told me that she never thought that one trip to races would mean so much to her son. She said ever since that race all he has talked about was the races and racing his bike in the bike races but was disappointed about it being rained out. I just wanted to share this experience with you guys and it shows just how much these kids look up to us racers.

Aaron hit a needed spot with the JRA...way to go over and above Josh...you know where they will be spending their entertainment $ from now on...winning fans over 1 at a time (or 3 at a time in this case!)

PS - Glad I could help with the fender! Makes me feel like I did something positve!!! j/k

Josh..

That's an AWESOME experience...

Like LL said, make some new fans 1 (or 3) at a time!

GOOD JOB JOSH, Just wanted to add that when i got home from thunder hill two weeks ago one of my nieghbor's came pulling in front of my house..he took his kid to the races for the first time to watch us race..his son wanted to get in the truck at 1:30 in the morning..if his dad hadn't of said its to late i would have opened the trailer and put him in the truck.. KID'S ARE OUR FUTURE..BETTER HAVEING THEM GOING RACING,THAN THE OTHER ALTERNITIVE..

Josh

What you did is wonderful. You are a true hero. Not just to that little boy and his family but to all of us. You have probably made a BIG differance in that boys life. Youve plant a seed that will hopfully guide him in the right direction in life. Thank you.

i went with josh last nite to billy's house and i have to say it was very moving-josh called his house before he left to tell his parents he was on his way.When we pulled up in front of the house billy was out front waiting.When josh got out of the truck all i heard was josh,josh,josh.They high fived and hugged each other like old buddies and josh told him he had brought him something.When josh handed him a 1/24 scale craftsman truck all i heard was WOW.His dad said this is great let me get the camera.Josh said i got you something else and then he gave him a certificate that said he was a crew chief on the #33 usra truck and the lt fender off the truck which josh signed in white that said"To Billy my #1 Fan-Josh Freeman #33-seeing the two of them posing for pictures together in the front yard of billy's house with his things he had just gotten,brought tears to a proud dads eyes,and i thought to myself i've raced with my son since he was 8 yrs old and now he's 25 and if he never wins another race,so what,seeing what he just did to that little boys life is better than winning any race,anywhere,anytime-Josh I Love Son-Keep Giving and One Day It Will Come Back Around To You-Dad

Josh,

That's a great story. Now, what is 4 year old Billy Stan going to do. I'll tell you, he is going to wart his mom and dad to death until they take him to the races again, and again and again. I would challenge each driver in all local and traveling series to take just a few minutes each race night after the last race to visit with fans. I know how hectec it is, but it will be well worth the investment. Drivers, each night, look around you. Seek out the young people, the 8, 10, 12 year olds and pay some special attention to them. All it need be is 3 to 5 minutes of your time. Talk to them, show them your car, tell them about it and yourself, put them in it.

Promoters, do what you have to do to encourage, even insist that parents take their kids into the pits after the races each and every night. Let them know it is considered as much a part of the races as the feature itself. In the drivers meetings, remind drivers that they are expected to make themselves available to the fans for an extra 10 to 15 minutes each race evening. Remind them of what I have said.

If each driver would do this for even one kid each race night, the fan base for racing would grow exponentially. Within 5 years, every track around here will be adding grandstands, ticket sales will increase, purses will increase and car counts will rise. Its really that simple.

I challenge you. Just do it and you will reap the rewards, promoters, drivers, owners and fans alike.

My hat goes off to Josh for above and BEYOND the call of Duty...

Won't lie Josh Called and Emailed me for Billy's Contact info.... and when he told me what he planned to do.. i was estatic.

Here is a continued story for you.. During the SWAP meet, a couple signed up their two kids for JRA, and never had been to THR before. On opening night their youngest son was drawn for JRA Jr. VIP...

after a Trophy, Ride with Chris Birmingham during intermission, and a Ride in the Pace Truck for the start of the Street stock feature... I couldn't get that kid to stop smiling!!!

And I have seen them at the races since, they already told me they planned to make the 30th. Kids Bikes in tow!!!

JRA has enjoyed the support the the #33 Truck Race team!!!!

I won't lie S.T.A.R.T. plans on having a vote for Sportsman of the year again.. and right now Josh Freeman has my Vote!!!

KID's ARE THE BEST INVESTMENT ANY RACER COULD INVEST IN!!!!

Now Gunnar, thats what being a truck owner is all about. Replace body parts, motors, trans, rear ends, etc. Those are all just small things, just think of all the fans, remember your checkbook might get smaller but your fan base will get larger......lol.........

Josh

I think you might have just started a new trend. Maybe the other drivers will follow suit. Giving that young man a certificate that made him part of your crew is something everyone could do. You can even print out iron-on transfers with your team logo or picture and they can have mom put it on a t-shirt for them. Little things like that mean a lot to a young fan and their parents. You can even put their name somewhere on the race car. And you can do this with a lot of kids, not just one. So drivers...reach out and touch someone. It will make you feel great.

That is AWESOME!! I have also seen drivers dedicate a spot on thier car for kids to sign. It really makes them feel part of a team.

That would also be a good way to dispose those worn out or punctured tires.

We would take a polaroid camera with us and take pictures of the kids in the Dwarfs, I had realized that a lot of the times people don't have a camera when they needed one.

Well this is Tommy's better half and the mother of that wonderful young man, Josh. I have been with Tommy for over 30 years and obviously with Josh for 25 years and I have to say our racing has always been centered around getting the word out there about what we do and getting folks interested in this sport, particularly the kids. In 1/4 midgets we planned a race for a young man (14 yo)that Tommy knew who had leukemia-our race raised money to help his family with his horrific expenses- it even made Channel 24 news. Unfortunately he is no longer with us but I do remember that night he came to the race with his family and was recognized, it was the biggest smile he had. In his casket was the hat that the 1/4 midget club gave him that nite. In dwarf cars, the best fun we had was intermission when the kids and their families came down to meet the drivers and get autographs-even to sit in the cars. This helps get the fans closer to the racers. I have always enjoyed circle track racing but I admire drag racing because at the big events, you can go up to the driver and meet them, get an autograph with no problem. I still adore my picture with Larry Dixon! (Tommy was there!) You all hit the nail on the head and that is get the fans involved, particularly the young ones-you have to remember who brought them to the races. Good job to THR for the coupons sent in the mail recently for $2off-I used mine!! This helps gets folks in the stands. What a wonderful Mother's Day gift to know that my son made the day of another young man-that takes the place of any present. I am so proud of you Josh and to all drivers out there for getting involved with your fans-remember you are why they come to the races. Keep up the good work!! Carol Freeman

Josh is doing what most racers should be doing on one level or another. Some are actually too shy to do that kind of "meet and greet," but they can do other things.

Josh and Tommy have had sponsors through the years because they always approach things from the standpoint of, "What can we do for you?" They always talk about money or support after they find out what they can do for the potential sponsor.

Likewise, they have taken race vehicles to places like the Texas School for the Deaf, thrilling a lot of kids. What you guys don't do, and need to do, Tommy and Josh and Gunnar, is promote those appearances.

That way, you reach the few dozen or few hundred kids and adults at the event, plus thousands more through the media, and it's those you have to reach to get more fans in the stands more quickly.

But Josh, that personal contact, that taking the time for kids, will make you their favorite driver. Keep it up, Bud.

Josh,

I have had similar experiences also. I used to have a stuffed monkey tied to the down tube on my truck on the right side with one arm up "waving" to the crowd. After one year of "unfortunates", my dad said it was time to get "rid of the $%^&*($ monkey on my back"; however, there was one little boy Cameron that loved the "monkey". He is always at the races with his dad and calls me the "monkey man". I WILL NEVER forget the look or expression on his face when he came down to the pits after the race to see the monkey & monkey man when I cut it off the truck and handed it to him. Dad says he STILL sleeps with the thing!

On another note, after a rough night, I had one wheel & tire destroyed and a fan asked if he could have it for his room and if I would sign it for him, which I promptly did...didn't have to haul it off!

Things we take for granted are huge things for others and we all, as racers, need to be aware of that...especially to the young ones..

Rick

Dad says he STILL sleeps with the thing!

... and he's 32 now!! :D

That's cool! As a fan, I can only imagine how it feels to be a hero. Some of you might not look at yourselves as heros, but you definitely are. Not only to kids, but all race fans. These two stories are great. Does anyone else have experiences as well they could share, which might give others ideas?

good idea gundog-he lives in a nice new subdivision not far from thunderhill and pretty sure you would get some more families to come to the races-take some of those $2 off coupons and give to the neighbors and sign all the kids up for JRA-you know the kids would bug their mamas and daddies to go to the races then-might even see about taking the truck to billy's school also-you know i dont do anything mon,tues,thur-i could take the truckand you guys could meet me at the school-it would have to be cleared with the school first on a day and time-looked like his school was right down from his house-be something to work on-see what happens-cause school be out here pretty soon-

Archived