Public Relations Department

Bobby Chaffee, PR Director

(903) 576-4144, (512) 557-7393

Bobby@digitalgrease.com

San Antonio, May 3, 2005

Promoter’s Perspective

A letter from USRA CEO Terry Dickerson:

Hello All,

First, let me start out by saying “thank you” to all of the fans, team owners, crews, drivers, officials and track staff for helping to make the first annual Premier Minerals Spring Fling 75 at San Antonio Speedway a successful event. The weather cooperated with us, and we were able to put on a successful and entertaining show.

I was very pleased with the turnout from everyone involved. The fans showed their dedicated support, despite the thunderstorms early in the morning. It was also great to see so many the Late Model drivers come out to race in the special event. Support from the other classes was also evident by the car count in the Sportsman, Road Runner and Women on Wheels classes. All of the competitors put on some outstanding races for the fans.

The USRA Track Management Team was very pleased with the support that we received from the teams in moving the enclosed trailers from the pits. We understand how inconvenient it is for the racing teams, and we truly appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

The racing for our local classes continue to be very competitive. Robert Barker is coming on strong in the Late Model Class, and the action continues to heat up as drivers like Joe Aramendia and Donny Horelka give him a challenge. In the Sportsman class, Eric Knutson broke through for his first win early in the season. The Sportsman races are very competitive, and some of the drivers in that division are racing pretty aggressively. Mark Mathias chalked up another win in the Road Runner Division, and the racing in that class is some of the best racing action that we have seen at the speedway. The Women on Wheels division produced some great side-by-side action, and the field is wide open for any driver to win on a Saturday night.

I want to extend my gratitude to Wayne Norrell and the Texas Asphalt Modified Series (TAMS)staff. The modifieds put on an outstanding show, and we really enjoyed working with Wayne and his staff. I applaud the TAMS folks for their professionalism and the quality of the show that they produce, especially since I understand how challenging it can be to make everything go smoothly. I look forward to working with the TAMS officials, drivers, and teams again in the future.

I want to let everyone know that we will listen to what anyone has to say about the speedway. The USRA Track Management Group has heard many positive things to build on for the remainder of this racing season, and we’ve also heard several good ideas for next season. Even though it’s great to hear the positive comments, I want everyone to know that we listen to all comments – good, bad or indifferent.

We’ve heard some concerns about the back gate and the long lines to get in on Saturday afternoons. We want everyone to understand that NASCAR mandates part of the time-consuming process, but we are looking at ways to make the back gate traffic flow more smoothly.

With the change in the enclosed trailer policy, we understand some of the spotters had difficulty getting back into the pits from the grandstands when their drivers were involved in the Late Model pileup on the Turn 1 wall. We will try to figure out a way to make the transitions to and from the pits work more smoothly.

Another point that was brought to our attention was the negative attitude from some of our officials. I want to ensure everyone that we expect two main things from our SAS officials. First of all, our officials and staff must have a good, positive attitude. Secondly, we want the officials to practice good time management. We understand that things can get heated in competition, but we still expect our officials to handle themselves in a professional manner. While some of their decisions may not be popular or convenient, the officials are there to promote the proper safety requirements mandated by our insurance carrier. They also try to keep our racers informed on race procedures to keep everything running smoothly. The USRA Track Management Group will be working with all of our officials to continue meeting our requirements, while recognizing the need for dealing with our fans and competitors in the most professional manner possible. I will take full responsibility for the problems with the track officials. I live six hours away, and I realize that I need to spend more with the officials to help them understand my expectations.

All in all, I feel that it was a successful night for the track. I felt a good positive vibe coming from the grandstands. There was excitement when I announced that the USRA would give an extra $150 to Jason Oates if he could win from the back of the field. Oates was running well until he had a problem with the hub. The fans were also excited when we tried the San Antonio Idol contest again. I am committed to giving the fans the best possible show that we can give them. If that means paying extra money to challenge the drivers, I will do that. If it means giving out tickets to fans that help entertain the crowd, I will do that too. The USRA Track Management Group is committed to making San Antonio Speedway the Number One attraction for racing in Texas.

Thank you for your time, and we’ll see you at the races!

Terry Dickerson

Well I guess if Terry was pleased with the turnout(Late Models) that I should keep my mouth shut. :huh:

But y'all know, that's not me! :angry:

I was wondering where many guys were? Was it a hang nail? Turf Toe? What? So many things have changed(regarding the excuses used) since the last show trying to draw from other tracks/series, that there should have been well over 30 cars. Even some track regulars didn't show, despite being a points race???????

What is your price? It's been proven that it's not $1500, $3000, etc. What will you be doing if your track drops the class because of lack of participation? :unsure:

Thank you to the drivers/teams that did take the time and put out the effort to put on a show for the fans.

Reb-

Some of them may have been trying to support Thunder Hill, which was also scheduled to run late models last Saturday. By the time they found out THR wasn't running (which some didn't know until they got to the track), it was too late to change gears and head to San Antonio. I hear maybe ten LMs had said they were going to THR; with the 19 at SAS, that makes nearly 30.

I have the same feeling about that as you do Reb,but from what I've seen in the past,it can't be done in one event.By the third Spring Fling,there will be 30+ late models there.Some peeps are gunshy.Some peeps were caught off guard.I have been told about several cars that are in the preperation stages right now.Damon Bean and Scott Jerkins,just to name a couple.My advise to Tery Dickerson would be,to run the same exact event two more times before the summer is over,and see what happens.

Reb-

As I said, some of the drivers were planning to race at THR. Some didn't get the word the races were cancelled, and towed all the way to the track. As for TSRS, there are 39 registered drivers, but many TSRS drivers have always been only part-time and only 24 so far have points in the 2005 season, which means they haven't raced any TSRS races so far this year.

let the crying begin. we only had 20 late models i wanted to see 30. boo freaking hoo. if these cars are so cheap to run like some people seem to think then all the ones crying should buy one and race it every weekend. maybe there wasnt enough cars cuz some people are struggling to make it to each race as is on the funds they have set aside to race. would i have liked to raced with 30 cars of course but who's to say that 30 cars would have made for much of a better show. and tsrs does have a race in may. may 21st at THR.

Very well put Lloyd

If we had a gear for SA we would have been down there.

As it is now we can run the car with the same gear at THR

and Houston,but don't have the gear for SA.And yes it does

cost money for a gear,the gear tree in the back yard died last

year.We were at I-35 and Congress at 12:00 with the car loaded,

race ready(for a change)and heading south when THR canceled.

yea it was too late notice from THR we we're in the middle of putting the gears in at 5 pm when we figured it would be to late to make it to SA before the gates we're shut on the backstretch so we ended up just going and watching the races there and they we're great.

But Hey WE TRIED...

Chris

AS a visitor from another track,I thought the late models and all of the SAS classes did a good job Saturday night.The action was close and exciting.Mr.Dickerson I met you Sat. and you are doing a real good job.Thanks and see ya"ll May 14 at CCMS for the late models & trucks.

Hey Reb pony up some money for a quick change I think we would have been able to make it. WE rolled up to THR at 3:00 to find out is was over. Needless to say we were pissed. Alot of teams want to race but it's not always as easy as it might seem.

Gary

rp, I was there from about 4:00 on, that's why there is a write-up on Speed51's website, and one that got sent out to numerous other places.(about 25 +/-)

Lloyd, why take it so personal, you were there and I thanked those that did show support. You are correct, it was one of TSRS shows added after the original schedule was out. I didn't have listed on my calendar. My bad! :(

If some of you didn't find out about THR until you rolled up there at 3:00, then my apologizies.

As for the money issue.......if I had the dough, I'd be racing myself. Sure it's expensive as hell, what isn't now days, but given the chance to run select races, I'd be opting for the bigger purse shows. Hey, that's just me I guess.

There's no crying here, just pointing out a potential problem, before it's too late. I watched our weekly Late Model class in South Bend, die a slow painful death. Saw several Late Models cut up to fit the Super Modified class. Point being, if you don't support the better paying shows, they will cease and your down to weekly purses, which as a former racer, I know don't even pay for fuel to the track a lot of times. Oh well it's y'alls class........standing down from soapbox now. LOL

One thread it's called to early.. the other to late.. ahhh go figure...

To all the drivers that didn't get the word... maybe someone should work on the phone a friend list... I called a bunch on Saturday...

Towing for no reason sucks for sure... Its not even cheap to drive to work anymore...

Archived