Battle Heats Up for NASCAR Late Model Drivers

For Immediate Release

Terry Barden, (210) 827-4524

BATTLE HEATS UP FOR NASCAR LATE MODEL DRIVERS

San Antonio, TX ( April 29, 2005) - Several tough competitors will be battling it out this Saturday night (April 30) at San Antonio Speedway's Spring Fling 75 race. This week's racing action at San Antonio Speedway (SAS) will begin at 7:00 p.m.

Among the entries in the NASCAR Late Model Spring Fling race are Robert Barker, Joe Aramendia and Donny Horelka. Barker is currently in the lead for the local points' competition at San Antonio Speedway, followed closely by Aramendia and Horelka. All three drivers are seeking the NASCAR Late Model championship title this year, and Saturday's race will count towards the points' competition.

"It's my goal to win a lot of races this year and eventually the Late Model title. I'm hoping things go well for me this year," stated Barker. Aramendia just simply wants to win. "I enter every race intending to win. And I just hope everything goes well with my car and it's hitting on all eight cylinders on Saturday," said Aramendia. Horelka has already won a NASCAR Late Model championship, and he's attempting to capture the title again during the 2005 season. "If we can keep the car together, I'm going to try to win the championship one more time. Saturday's race won't be easy, especially with going up against guys like Aramendia and Barker," commented Horelka.

Many other top South Texas late model drivers are expected to enter Saturday's race, including Justin Oates (2004 NASCAR Sunbelt ShorTrack regional champion), Allen and Lloyd Alexander, Kevin Bendele and Jamie Fuller. The winner will be awarded $1,500. "We hope to present the fans with 75 exciting laps of racing action, and our drivers are ready to put on a great show," stated Terry Barden, General Manager at San Antonio Speedway. "And the fans will also get to see even more action when our Sportsman, Road Runner and Women on Wheels classes battle it out as well," added Barden.

Also making their first 2005 appearance at San Antonio Speedway will be Texas Asphalt Modified Series (TAMS), one of the fastest classes to compete at SAS. These low-slung, wide-tracked rockets run on racing slicks and weigh in at only 2,500 pounds, which accounts for their amazing ability to stick to the racing surface. More than 20 of the lightning-quick TAMS modified cars are expected to be hand for Saturday's 50-lap TAMS feature race.

During the races, fans will also be able to watch the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Race under the grandstands, courtesy of Hill Country Satellite and Aarons Sales & Lease Store (Fredericksburg Road location). Former San Antonio Speedway NASCAR Late Model and Sunbelt Regional Champion Brandon Bendele will be making his debut run in this national series on Saturday night in Madison, Illinois. The race will be broadcast live on the Speed channel. "We want it to be convenient for our fans to keep an eye on Brandon's progress while watching the races," said Barden.

Pit gates will open this Saturday (April 30) at 1:00 p.m., and qualifying for the NASCAR Late Models and Texas Asphalt Modified Series will begin at 5:15 p.m. Pit crew members, team owners, sponsors and fans will not have to purchase a NASCAR license to enter the pits for Saturday's races. The cost for admission into the pits is $20 for NASCAR license holders and $30 for all others. To ensure the racing action is "fan-friendly," no enclosed trailers will be allowed in the pit area.

Grandstand gates will open at 5:00 p.m., opening ceremonies begin at 6:45 p.m., and the first green flag will wave promptly at 7:00 p.m.

San Antonio Speedway is a half-mile NASCAR-sanctioned oval asphalt track that is located at 14901 State Highway 16 South (Poteet Highway), about 3.5 miles south (outside) of Loop 410. The speedway can be accessed easily by taking IH 35 South and exiting on Highway 16 South (left exit), just past South Park Mall. The race hotline number is (210) 628-1867, and the speedway's website can be found at San Antonio Speedway.

For More Information, Contact:

Debbie Williams, San Antonio Speedway Public Relations, (210) 685-0400 or debwill@sanantoniospeedway.com

Archived