lastest "jimmie johnson complaint"

ProTree

Tim-

I don't disagree with you. Would JJ be as good in Petty's car? No, but that's not the question. The question is, would he be as good or better than Petty in the car, and I think he would. Kyle Petty is a very bright guy, but the real driving talent (and desire, too, I think) skipped a generation there.

Would Kyle be as good or better in JJ's car. Not a chance.

And, as much as I don't like it, if money wins, Toyota will be the new king of NASCAR. Toyota isn't a car company, it's a bank that builds cars. That $98 million they have in Indycars? They're spending four times that much in Formula 1, and Toyota never does anything to lose...

Close, Tommy. According to Toyota, they've entered into an agreement with 9 Racing and Ed Pink Racing Engines to develop a Toyota for competition in 2006. The current 9 Racing driver is Bobby East, son of the famed midget chassis builder.

Maybe the real issue is that for some percentage of the public, fans or not, NASCAR is just as real as Professional Wrestling, and for some, it has the same appeal...

Jeff showed up, won a lot of races, got the pretty girl, made a lot of money, always had a smile and somehow - made all of us feel a little small in comparison, he was just a little too perfect for us to believe he was real.

DE always seemed more of an outlaw, rough around the edges when compared to Jeff. He could win just as many races but because there was always that hint of "bump n run" larceny he wasn't as personally intimidating - a hero we could identify with.

Here is a question, does Jeff have more fans now (or at least less detractors) since he's lost Brooke? Do people see that as making him more "real"?

Right or wrong some people will always make that mental comparison "is he like me", it helps us believe that "that could be me!"..

i've got tapes of jeff gordon from the old "espn thursday nite thunder series" in the 80's when he was a youngster and he was the real deal back then-the old school legend rich volger and this kid jeff gordon banging wheels in midgets and sprints-some people never heard of him till he got to cup-like he said one time"i've had my hands on a steering wheel and my right foot on a gas pedal since i was 5 yrs old racing-after awhile you should get pretty good at it"-gotta give him credit-he's one of the best ever whether you like him or not-his record speaks for itself-jmo

Tim-

I don't disagree with you. Would JJ be as good in Petty's car? No, but that's not the question. The question is, would he be as good or better than Petty in the car, and I think he would. Kyle Petty is a very bright guy, but the real driving talent (and desire, too, I think) skipped a generation there.

Would Kyle be as good or better in JJ's car. Not a chance.

And, as much as I don't like it, if money wins, Toyota will be the new king of NASCAR. Toyota isn't a car company, it's a bank that builds cars. That $98 million they have in Indycars? They're spending four times that much in Formula 1, and Toyota never does anything to lose...

TQ,

Using Kyle Petty was just an example because you would have figured the talent wouldn't of jumped a generation like it did, but there is a difference when starting in the front of the pack versus the rear (consistently). I would rather have all the older/ego-less guys racing on Sundays. The days of everyone rooting for the "Good-ole-boy" are now gone.

We will never know if either switch would make one driver better or not. I know it's a hypothetical, but I am sure there is a good point to it.

Is Toyota spending more trying to catch up? R & D?

The best races to watch these days are at your local race tracks. You still can't beat the excitement of that!

Tim

a few years back kyle petty was running up front and winning races, so im not so sure that it skipped a generation, i think it is more along the lines that those guys dont have the financial backing the other teams have for testing and r&d, thats why they are always running in the back.............petty enterprises is no were near what it used to be, they are better now with everham power, but still no where near as good as hendrick and roush.............as far as gordon goes, i do remember back when he was running usac with vogler, those were some good races, he is a great driver, just comes across as a candy a**.............

Tim-

The egos I see on Sunday are from just a few of the "new breed," notably the Busch brothers, and I've never seen it from either Gordon or Johnson. Of course, there's always the comment from the famed Spanish bullfighter Manolete, who was accused of being egotistical and replied, "You don't understand. If I don't really believe I'm the best, I'd better not go out there."

No racing driver doubts himself. Nor do bullfighters, boxers, mountain climbers, skydivers, etc. That's why they are in blood sports, and if you think none of the old guard had egos, you must be very new to the game.

RebelRacer-

Gordon comes across as a "candya**" only because we in America tend to think only the loud and boisterous have courage (see John Wayne and Audie Murphy points in earlier post). It's ridiculous, but it is so common a belief it allowed the Democrats to make an issue of whether or not the soft-spoken and mild-mannered George H. W. Bush, who flew 57 combat missions off of a carrier in the Pacific and was shot down twice, had enough "personal courage" to be president.

Maybe you just need a new definition of "candya**."

Tim-

The egos I see on Sunday are from just a few of the "new breed," notably the Busch brothers, and I've never seen it from either Gordon or Johnson. Of course, there's always the comment from the famed Spanish bullfighter Manolete, who was accused of being egotistical and replied, "You don't understand. If I don't really believe I'm the best, I'd better not go out there."

No racing driver doubts himself. Nor do bullfighters, boxers, mountain climbers, skydivers, etc. That's why they are in blood sports, and if you think none of the old guard had egos, you must be very new to the game.

TQ,

I know what you are saying... We could go back and forth all day long. I like this saying the best, "Just shut-up and drive!" Or, "Just shut up and play!" It's just about being humble, and there are not many left. I am not new to the game, but more so just wishful thinking I guess. Afterall, it's a paycheck for them and entertainment for us.

Tim

The farther apart Gordon's wins are,the more popular he will become.Like it or not,in just a couple of years,Gordon will be the senor statesman.It will be fun everytime he wins against the "young guns".His popularity will skyrocket as he gets closer and closer to winning 106 and taking second on the winner's list.The eighth championship will seal his fate as the best ever.

amen.. Look at Bill Elliott, he had a couple of dang fast runs because the aero on the t'bird was so superior to anything else that year. From then on he is consistently the "most popular driver" or some such even though he can't put together a season to match '83. He is a real nice guy and a good driver but is the appeal because he "once did" and is still trying?

Just face it guys, you don't like Gordon because your girl friend, wife or whatever lust after Gordon more than she does you. That's why I don't like him. If I hear "he's soo cute" followed by "you need to take out the trash" one more time, someone is going to get hurt.

Just face it guys, you don't like Gordon because your girl friend, wife or whatever lust after Gordon more than she does you. That's why I don't like him. If I hear "he's soo cute" followed by "you need to take out the trash" one more time, someone is going to get hurt.

:lol: If he grows that uni-brow back that he used to have in the 90's, you wouldn't have to worry about those comments. JJ and Gordon should both grow theirs back and from a new race team... Team Uni-Brow, that would be great! :D

Tim

JJ may not be able to take Kyle Petty's car and win with it but I'm sure he could run a hell of a lot better in it than Kyle. Jimmie is a real driver whether you like it or not. And check out Jeff Gordon's stats compared to Dale Sr. in the first 13 years of his career, I think Jeff's stats are probably more impresive. By the way I don't car if either one of them ever win's another race, I'm still cheering for Terry Labonte to win just one more then I'll start cheering for Kasey Kahne.

Archived