What starter?

zoom

350 block with only the staggered starter bolt holes. So the starter I ran last year with the straight bolt holes won't work. I am running the corvette nodular iron flywheel, not sure the size. (11inch?) I tried 3 different starters saturday and none of them reached the flywheel. I run a stock starter.

Anyone know what starter I need? Pretty frustrated at this point.

Thanks yall.

I had this problem at one time and I think the angled hole starter was on a corvette. I believe that the angle bolt starters only work with the larger flywheel of flex plate.

To be sure you can check this out by going to the scoggin dickey chevrolet(or similar) websight and looking thru the pictures of high performance starters.

Jay

Well,

I will get to searchin for a starter. In the meantime, I will be givin a bunch of thought to drillin and tappin. I sure would hate to get the holes off a little. or worse yet, totally screw it up.

What exactly are the right tools. I have a center punch, drill bits and tap and die set. What else will I need? Can this be done with the engine in the car? Has anyone out there ever done this? Sure would like to talk to you.

Thanks

Mark,

Do you know what the block came out of? Wesley said that you might try a starter from a 1967 or 1968 chevrolet. He thinks that they had the staggered bolt pattern. Hope this helps. You can try the CVR starter I have if you want to. Call me if you want to try it. The only thing is that it doesn't have the staggered bolt pattern.

Mona Turner

#19 WOW rookie 2005

Well,

I will get to searchin for a starter. In the meantime, I will be givin a bunch of thought to drillin and tappin. I sure would hate to get the holes off a little. or worse yet, totally screw it up.

What exactly are the right tools. I have a center punch, drill bits and tap and die set. What else will I need? Can this be done with the engine in the car? Has anyone out there ever done this? Sure would like to talk to you.

Thanks

Zoom, here's the scoop on SBC starters: The 153 tooths flywheel such as you are using uses the starters with the straight-across bolt pattern. The 168 tooth flywheels use the staggered bolt pattern starters. If there is an aftermarket starter with the staggered pattern that will work with a 153 tooth flywheel, I'm not aware of it - but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist by any means.

Some blocks are tapped for both types of starters, but it sounds like you have a block that will only accept the staggered starter. The most common remedy for that problem is to drill/tap one additional hole so that you can bolt up your straight pattern starter. It sounds like you have the necessary tools to do the job. With the motor in the car, space and alignment are going to be your primary problems, so you will probably need to remove your header on that side and anything else that gets in your way. Use your starter as a guide to mark the location of the new hole. Take your time and you'll be fine. Good luck.

ss99

Archived