NASCAR License

J-III

Since no on has brought it up, last week at the driver's meeting at SAS, we were informed that any individual entering the pits would be required to have a current NASCAR license. Apparently NASCAR will be mandating that all entrants to the pits must pay for a license. That seems like a major obstacle for the fan who would like to watch from the pits from time to time. IT is even I GREATER burden on teams with large crews, low budgets, or anyone who simply wants to bring a friend or sponsor to the track. It sounded like the track would be required to enforce this. Just thought everyone should know that way you wont be as shocked when it costs a non-member at least $110 to get in effective 4/30/05

I guess you could also say that it keeps the people out that really shouldnt be in the pits if they are not helping a team and just getting in the way or gets hurt...You might wanna check and see what you get for that licence amount also. If I remember correctly over the past few years you could also pay for this licence over time something like $25-$30 a race and you were issued a temp card that was checked till the amount was paid in full...

that is crazy, just for our team it will cost;

2 drivers x 185=370

7 crew x 110=770

total is 1140 bucks and thats just to get into the race. can someone confirm this for us because this could keep alot of cars from showing up.

big john

This will be my first race at SAS with the tams car. I am only able to run a few races a year. We had planned to run the Houston's and the Austin's this year but I skipped Houston to run SAS basically to show support for the new owners taking on the financial risk of keeping the track open.

Are you saying that it will cost an additional $295 for my wife and I as well as additional $110's per crew? I see what upsjohn88 has posted and I hope that's right. It's a little late to change plans but an additional $295+ will be a dealbreaker. Does "does not apply for this race" mean that it will apply for the tams races the rest of the year?

Thanks for any info.

Jay

well from what they said at the drivers meeting saturday night, anyone who walks thru that pit gate is required by nascar to have a license from now on.....now i am sure they will be able to buy a pit crew license which i think is cheaper than the driver license but it is still going to cause a lot of people to not come out to sas......it sucks but it would only make sense that it is from nascar and not sas management because they are the ones loosing here.......if everyone has to have a license than they will have to lower the pit entry to $20 a person since everyone will be licensed, so that means they will lose $10 a person per week at the back gate, plus the license money goes to nascar and not the track so they will not make any money there either........it sucks but i guess like anything else its their rules and we either have to live with them or race elsewhere...........

I just spoke with Terry Dickerson regarding the requirement of a NASCAR license to enter the pits at San Antonio Speedway.

First of all . . . and most importantly . . . no changes will be made for this weekend's race. The announcement that was made in the drivers' meeting last Saturday was probably done a bit prematurely.

We're checking with NASCAR to get a definite answer for future races, but again, no changes will be made for this weekend's Spring Fling and TAMS races. Drivers in the Late Model race (as well as any other SAS classes) will be required to purchase a NASCAR license for $185, but we are paying $250 just to start to help cover the license fee. Pit crew members, etc., will not be required to purchase a license to enter the pits.

After checking with NASCAR again in the morning,we will issue a press release with additional details sometime tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, we hope you'll help spread the word that nothing will be changed as far as pit policies for this weekend's race.

As you might expect, we're still going through some "growing pains" with the new organization, and we ask for your patience. As always, feel free to contact Terry Barden at 210-827-4524 with your questions or concerns.

Tell it the way it is Reb

supertx, as in me Reb or the other Reb??? LOL :lol:

Here's something to consider, taking into account I know little about NA$CAR rules, sanctioning/licensing fees, etc. But in IMCA you can buy an Associate License for about 2/3 the cost of a competitors license. It's NOT required, but for it you receive the IMCA weekly newsletter, the IMCA newspaper, and are covered to $50,000 worth of insurance should you be injured at ANY IMCA sanctioned track. Their fee varies depending on class, but the Associate License is between $60-80(the last time I looked). So with IMCA it's not that bad of a deal. You might check into exactly what you get for your money before passing judgement.

Archived