Eric Knudtson Ready for Run at Title

PRESS RELEASE Release: April 20, 2005

Eric Knudtson of Boerne and Viking Racing Camaro Ready for Run at Sportsman Title Following Third Place in First Round

San Antonio – The Viking Racing Chevrolet Camaro and Eric Knudtson of Boerne, Texas, finished third in the first Sportsman Class points race of the 2005 season at San Antonio Speedway (SAS), behind Greg Rohmer and Tator Mason, and are currently third in championship points. You'd think that's a good start, but Knudtson, runner up by only 24 points in last year's Sportsman series at SAS, isn't happy with his fifth place in the non-points "American Classified Sportsman 25" on April 2 or his third in the opening points race two weeks ago.

"We had a problem with the car," he said this week. "In both races, I could run fast in qualifying because there was room on the track. In the race, with a car on the outside, I had to pinch it down, and we were using up the right front tire. I was glad for a two-week break to find the problem."

That two-week break, caused by most tracks closing in deference to the big NASCAR weekend in Ft. Worth, gave Eric time to find the problem, or combination of problems, that were making the car "push like a dump truck," as NASCAR legend and race commentator Darrell Waltrip puts it.

"We're ready now," Knudtson says, "and I think the championship may turn out to be a race among the three of us: Rohmer, Mason and me." Knudtson is also planning to do "double duty" next week, racing his Viking Racing Camaro in the Sportsman Class and the Viking Racing Chevrolet Monte Carlo in the first annual "Spring Fling 75" at SAS on April 30.

Gates at San Antonio Speedway, located at 14901 State Highway 16 South (towards Poteet) and just three and a half miles outside of Loop 410, open this Saturday night, April 23, at 5:00 pm with racing starting at 7:27 pm.

###

T. Q. Jones P. O. Box 91346 Austin, TX 78709-1346

PH: (512) 261-5236 Email: tqj@mindspring.com

Archived