Starting to see improvements

I really don't understand how so much drama, and bickering always finds its way into any conversation that has anything to do with CC SPEEDWAY.

When the time is right, and all the improvements are done, and Dan finally opens the gates for racing, I hope and pray that everyone can co-exist and we all can race again.

Hopefully with asphalt racing all but gone in Texas, a lesson will be learned and the track gets the support in needs to survive from the drivers and fans alike.....

I hope when its all said and done she comes back better then ever! Like alot of people our racing started at CCS with my old man. A ton of memories about that place. It was going on pretty good with the beer garden, mud drags, go cart track, motocross in back, the announcer Russ Martin, TIDA and even some pretty good concerts coming in. Our learning curve for CCS was pretty difficult trying to keep up with the likes of Bruce Beddoe, Greg Carlucci Sr., Charlie Heflin, Billy Christopher, Jeff Myers, Sam Wilcox, Beaver Stilzik when he came in from SA and many others. The class was all cameros with a chevelle or two mixed into the class. We were the first car in the class to run a metric frame. '79 Buick Regal in 1981 provided by Lundquest Buick of Corpus Christi. We never could afford new racing tires so we bought used takeoffs from anyone and everyone. We got an occasional heat race win but against those super stocks that was a tall task. One night all the stars aligned and somehow we pulled out a feature win, boy you would have thought we had made the big time. After struggling, learning and coming back week after week after that win that night every driver in the class came and congradulated my dad and his racing team (his family). We bought our first new racing tire with some of the purse winnings. Later that year several CCS Super Stocks towed to San Antonio us never have seen the track before to race in the Texas Classic with several other CCS Super Stocks. We even ran the same CCS final drive. I remember standing on the back straight away it seemed like we were at Talledega when he went by screaming at 8,000 rpm! There was so many cars in that race from all over the country. After an early crash me and my brother pulled the front end off that car in pit lane and my dad went back out to finished the race. Overall the CCS drivers did well and represented little Ol' CCS pretty good. Mind you we were maybe 11 and 13 at the time. Those memories will never leave my head!

Edited by SouthTxPromotions

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2017 at 8:25 PM, Mel said:

Well, the title of this thread is positive, and I like how it has turned to leaving some fond memories:

There are so many to choose from,

One particular Saturday just before the new season was starting, had to be in the mid-late 70's. Frank, Sandy & ol' Harold would always paint the walls & stands in the off season. As it was close to the season start a few racers were practicing. Towards the end of the day, Monty Nichols was practicing his hobby stock and lost it in 1-2, and smacked the wall. It was very quiet and Big Frank hollers out, hand that damn boy a paint brush!

Well, it was humorous then, I guess you had to be there.

I for one believe there will be many more memories made there. When it's ready, we'll be ready too.

Mel

mel I spent years painting that wall .wasn't much fun .

12 minutes ago, HiTech said:

mel I spent years painting that wall .wasn't much fun 

Rodney .. dead . like a junk yard .drove by there Saturday ..wont be anything racing out there for years to come if not ever again . I am sure the rabbits rats and lizards are having a race  every once in a while . like to turn a lap with them . ..the sound of cement trucks and tractors across the road  is about all you hear now except  the sound of my car  1989 on its roof sliding all the way from turn two to turn three still echo's through the gap under the flag stand .ghostly 

Edited by HiTech

4 hours ago, Radical said:

Brings tears to my eyes.

what my car sliding  . you will get over it I am sure …when you dont  run a track the right way this happens  not like anyone didnt try . you cant have favorites .you cant be friends with everyone you have to be fair . if you are a racer taking over a track you have to forget the past driving and become a promoter .. a lot of things went wrong .and some of it was us the car owners .but it starts at the top ..

4 hours ago, Radical said:

Brings tears to my eyes.

20 hours ago, HiTech said:

what my car sliding  . you will get over it I am sure …when you dont  run a track the right way this happens  not like anyone didnt try . you cant have favorites .you cant be friends with everyone you have to be fair . if you are a racer taking over a track you have to forget the past driving and become a promoter .. a lot of things went wrong .and some of it was us the car owners .but it starts at the top ..

Not talking about you old chap. Just the state of affairs with Corpus Christi Speedway.

3 hours ago, Radical said:

Not talking about you old chap. Just the state of affairs with Corpus Christi Speedway.

I know just funning you ..its sad the track with its history isnt running ..I grew up just down the road from cc and could hear the races every Saturday night they ran .. listening to those jalopies in the late 50s before mom took us out to cc in 61 ..cc was part of my growing up and I never thought it would be shut down  this long .the memories are endless . pulling wheelies on bikes  with walter  long before I was old enough to race . touching those hot tires after the main feature was over the cars would park on the track ..watching mustang daredevils . and other special shows at the track .figure 8 racing . motorcycle racing .mud truck racing .you name it cc had it .and seeing and meeting new friends ...I know we all hope the track can find its way back someday ...my avatar pic is a feature I won with a blown motor .

Edited by HiTech

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 2:36 PM, RodneyRodriguez said:

well hell not what I wanted to hear.

Rodney looking from the street  maybe the overgrown grass and cement plant in the parking lot may make it look bad but its not as  it seems . When the harbor bridge is complete the concrete plant will be gone and area cleaned up .  I go to the track several times a week and I can tell you that it wouldn't take anything  but a little bit of clean up and time to be a raceable track .   People  paint their own picture looking from the fence . Don't get me wrong there would be work yo do but the track and facility is not a "junkyard" .

Edited by SamDuncan

Obviously, this is a very emotional topic for many in the CC area and beyond.  I know it is for me.

But pointing fingers and getting into heated, non-productive "debates" is not why we keep this CC Speedway forum section open.  We keep it open because the track ownership has indicated that they intend to re-open the track at some point once the new bridge construction folks no longer need the facility to store stuff.

Let's be optimistic and civil while we wait!

Nick

2 hours ago, NickHolt said:

Obviously, this is a very emotional topic for many in the CC area and beyond.  I know it is for me.

But pointing fingers and getting into heated, non-productive "debates" is not why we keep this CC Speedway forum section open.  We keep it open because the track ownership has indicated that they intend to re-open the track at some point once the new bridge construction folks no longer need the facility to store stuff.

Let's be optimistic and civil while we wait!

Nick

I am always available to let people know the status of CC. All they need to do is call me or catch me at a track in the area which I am at almost every weekend. I go to S.T.S, I37 and was at Houston. The track was rented for four years with a option for one more. That was almost four years ago. Yes the grass is not mowed but that is their job. Also I keep my horses there so they eat good! Rodney I am sure Ill be racing in Houston so if you want to talk come by. We've always had no problems talking. 

For those outside of Corpus, the bridge construction has fallen a little behind. Not sure what that means for the track and won't speak on that other than they may exercise that option. Also heard rumors that are beneficial to the track but again, I won't speak on that either. I know Dan has been supporting other race tracks so the passion for racing is definitely still there and feel comfortable saying CCS will be back eventually. Hopefully HMP will be successful and the asphalt guys will have another place to play in the next few years and the Marion track will come to fruition and all three will do well.

The last I heard was the bridge will be done pretty much on time but the removal of the old bridge may be delayed or at least not completed on time. One of us needs to go to one of those side walk talks and get an up date.

Edited by outlaw

• 5 months later...

I didn't know this thread existed so I created another one, my bad there.  But, is C.C. Speedway for sale or not?  I see the realtor sign and I called and they confirmed it was for sale.  But, there's a lot of people that keep telling me that I'm full of it.

Now I'm asking because I'm a big fan of C.C. Speedway and I would love to attend races there again.  But, from the looks of things, I'm not sure that is going to happen.

Btw, I heard on Friday that there's a possible 2 year delay on the bridge project.

sign.jpg

cc.jpg

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

Edited by mickey_bigdaddy

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2019 at 1:55 PM, mickey_bigdaddy said:

I didn't know this thread existed so I created another one, my bad there.  But, is C.C. Speedway for sale or not?  I see the realtor sign and I called and they confirmed it was for sale.  But, there's a lot of people that keep telling me that I'm full of it.

Now I'm asking because I'm a big fan of C.C. Speedway and I would love to attend races there again.  But, from the looks of things, I'm not sure that is going to happen.

Btw, I heard on Friday that there's a possible 2 year delay on the bridge project.

sign.jpg

cc.jpg

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

well the road is finished .just like the track its finished ..