NASCAR getting tough..

NickHolt

Anybody else amazed that NASCAR DQ'd Sauter after the TMS Busch race for an oversized carb? I don't recall anyone competing in NASCAR's top series (in the so-called Modern Era, anyway) being totally DQ'd before. Looks like NASCAR's setting a new precedent here.

According to NASCAR's Jim Hunter, the reason he was DQ'd - "as if he never showed up for the race" - was because the illegal carburetor fell into the "blatant" category.

OK, fair enough, but what exactly does "blatant" mean? What parts are we talking about? Carbs only? How about fuel cells? Engine size? Traction control?

Another thing that might cause problems down the road is that Hunter said he didn't know if NASCAR would ever take a victory away under the same situation that Sauter found himself. Sounds kinda like a double standard. If you cheat well enough to win, you get to keep your the victory. If you cheat and finish second, you're DQ'd. Something doesn't sound quite right with that.

Nick Holt

blatant in this situation-probably means he tryed insulting their inteeligence....a carb is one of the first things checked and frequently checked through the weekend...a body template not matching or a valance being too low you can try and find excuses for....what do you say in an instance like this????

nothing against him for trying, just what a stupid area to try it.....

we have xm radio in the shop and on the nascar channel was an interview w/James Finch. Here are some of the points he made:

1. teams buy and test many "rule" carbs from different (and often several from a single) vendor.

2. One was 8 hp (a lot relatively speaking) better. His worry was that to be "better", it had to be closer to the go/no go line if not over it.

3. He claims that they presented the carb to the nascar carb inspector and asked him to verify it's legality.

4. He "passed" it and it was installed on the car and sealed with a wire/lead seal.

5. Car was impounded with all the others after qualifying.

6. Car raced and finished 14th (or so).

7. Car was one of the ones "randomly" chosen for additional inspection beyond the top finishers.(normal but fishy in this case)

8. Carb did not pass, oversize( in the go/ no go sense). He said it's not like they were trying to sneak a Cup size carb in on them. That would add 75-100 hp. I think what he means is that it was determined to be an overly altered 390 carb(I guess they run 390's, I don't know the exact Busch rules anymore).

9. He says since he paid his 900 buck pre race"inspection fee"(normal) and asked specifically about this carbs legality and it was passed and sealed by Nascar, the burden should have been on the inspector to say it was a no go then.

10. At least one nascar inspector has resigned in this deal.

That's the way I heard it.

Jay

Guest HMPFlagman

Anyone notice the new cup series flagman Rodney Wise wasnt in the flagstand on Sunday? however If i remeber right he dealt with tires when he wasnt in the flag stand...

damn this smells-pretty bad when a nascar inspector checks it-approves it-seals it- and then afterwards DQ's its-sounds like some of the front running big teams are really cheating big time but nascar aint got the B#*@* to stop em so they pick a lesser team to stab in the back as a way of telling the big teams to stop it-who knows-if they fired(to make it look legit) the offical that must mean he moved to an office job with nascar -just a big soap opera-matter of fact i got to get back to watching mine

NASCAR has been after Mr. Finch because he is very vocal about their (NASCAR’s) policies. One of his concerns is NASCAR is not spreading the wealth from the TV money to the teams. My understanding is Mr. Finch is running the team with his money w/o the help of a major $ sponsor. His car in the cup series had similar trouble; getting thru inspection.

I am a bit confused as to which NASCAR official actually got fired. Was it the one who let the carb go in pre-race inspection of the carb or the the one who discovered the infraction post-race?

Nick Holt

Archived