Hand over your heart?

KahneFan

From a different thread...

Without getting into any politics, am I "old school" for still putting my hand/hat over my heart during the Anthem, or is this how it still should be? I'm honestly wondering cause I don't want to be behind the times :D

Section 170 of the Statutes of the United States of America states that:

The composition consisting of the words and music known as The Star-Spangled Banner is designated the national anthem of the United States of America.

Section 171 of the Statutes of the United States of America states that:

During rendition of the National Anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform, should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men wearing hats and not in uniform should remove their hats with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder with the right hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

Nick Holt

Strange that you brought this up, my wife,kids and myself were at the rodeo this past weekend and during the star spangled banner I looked around and It looked like my family was the only ones with there hands over there hearts. Everyone else had there hands behind there backs,how times have changed.

Men wearing hats and not in uniform should remove their hats with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder with the right hand being over the heart.

Does anyone recall it saying anything about women removing their hats, caps etc?

I'm from the old school also and as far back as I can remember women did not have to do this but did hold their hand over the heart.

ITS ALL ABOUT RESPECT!i still put hand over my heart.maybe oldfashion,but its all i can do for this GREAT country we are in.it hurts when i see someone that wont get up to the anthum.my kids will tell me let it go.(that they have no class) or respect.we have americans that are dying to defend our country.we could all show this respect that they deserve!

Kely,

That is correct women wearing hats should not remove them, but should put there hand over there heart.

Just a few things that I have learned from my folks and from almost 18 years of being in the military.

Another thing that bothers me, and I have kind of fixxed the problem at CCMS, is people revving there engines during the anthem. We all should take time out to show respect to our flag!!!!!

not only remove the hats,but the one that really P@#$%# me off are the "IDIOTS"that talk on they're frigging cellphones during the National Anthem-want to talk about RESPECT-makes my blood boil- cause when i hear the National Anthem my eyes tear up- all i picture is my dad lying in his casket at his funeral with his army dress blues on,his honor guard standing by,and realizing what he had spent 36 yrs doing-he was my "HERO"-and some as@#%&* cant hang up the phone and give a couple of minutes to honor all of our "HEROES"-some day i may walk up to one of em and slap em silly and tell em "My Daddy made me do it and he said you could finish your call now"

I also have always removed my hat and placed my right hand over my heart.

Tommy33, I agree with ya on the cell phone deal. What really gets me going is parents allowing thier kids to run around like banshees during the playing of the Anthem.

That being said, Nick, you have way too much time on your hands...

Rosie

That being said, Nick, you have way too much time on your hands...

Rosie

Not really, Rosie. I just MAKE time when it's about showing respect for God and my country.

I came through my military experience (USAF, 1967-1971) relatively unscathed (only a 10% disability), but I had friends who never made it back at all, or who came back with missing limbs, or who still suffer horribly from what happened to them psychologically -- you name it.

It's in honor of these men and women who have given so much for our freedom that I stand at attention with my hand over my heart whenever the National Anthem is played or when our flag is being displayed. It's the least we can do.

If showing respect to our American Heros is "Old-fashioned," then call me old-fashioned all you want.

Nick Holt

A little off subject, but I thought this thread would appreciate the humor and irony of it. And yes as a veteran, son of a veteran, nephew of combat-veterans, son-in-law to a combat vet, and friends with countless vets, I agree with everyone about the anthem. I even sing it. (Of course with my voice, my friends and family may think that the respectful, patriotic thing to do would be to shut up. :lol: )

A radical liberal professor, was teaching his class. He shocked several of his students when he flatly stated that there is no God, that the expression, "One Nation Under God", was unconstitutional, and further, he was going to prove there is no God. Addressing the ceiling he shouted: "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you 15 minutes!"

The lecture room fell silent. You could have heard a pin fall. Ten minutes went by. Again he taunted God, saying, "Here I am, God. I'm still waiting."

The professor's countdown got down to the last couple of minutes when a newly registered Marine, just released from active duty, walked up to the professor, hit him full force in the face, and sent him ass over teacups from his lofty platform. The professor was out cold!

At first the students were shocked and babbled in confusion. The young Marine took his seat in the front row and sat silent. The class fell silent... waiting.

Eventually, the professor came to, shaken. He looked at the young Marine in the front row. When he regained his senses and could speak he yelled, "What's the hell's matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The Marine stood up proudly and said,

"God was busy. He sent me."

Noticed a lot of CUP drivers and their crews just standing there looking around and not putting their hand over their heart tonight. Some didnt even bow their heads during the prayer. They were looking around and talking. Maybe Im wrong but it just aint right in my book. JMO :angry::angry::angry:

Great topic, this has allways botherd me also, about women who dont remove there hat, thanks for the clarification Nick,as for him having to much time on his hands.....just knowlegable if you ask me, this deal about women wereing hats was written way back in the day when women wore the big foo-foo hats with half of there garden on it,lol,lol, I feel if a women wants to were a baseball cap like a guy, then she should remove it like a guy, jmo, kind of like a women wereing mens suites, and yes all,and do mean all should be quiet during the displaying of our flag. And those who cant stand up for the flag as it passes at parades,Im getting worked up way too early here,more coffee please...... :blink:

I saw at least 75% of the people in the stands at THR not holding their hands over their heart.They were talking,looking around aimlessly,or just plain had a "why the hell are we doing this" look on their faces.It scares me to think their are that many disrespectful people out there that don't realise what we have here in this country,and what it took our ancestors to achieve it.A little respect guys,cmon now.

Way too many people have no respect nor even cross their mind about our freedom and how we got it and keep it, its a shame too, and nothing tward THR, but its that way everywhere, go into a VFW and not show respect and see what happens to you. Very sore subject for me, never been in the armed services but have all the respect for those who have and are.

i've got more than my share of respect for my COUNTRY,and i show it...but have you guys given deep consideration to what you're upset about....if i went in to a vfw hall to understand what honor and country were all about-i'd probably wish i could forget it...

go to a masonic louge and learn what freedom is, belief, honor ,respect ,and understanding of other peoples ways without being judgemental because they don't match yours....

i fly a flag in my front yard.....my neighbor does not- is he less american than me?

i'm sorry but it seems like this thread should be title "hell we just needed something to bitch about" and that's alright...and you know why it's alright??? because whether we hold our hand,hat or nothing at all over our heart during the raising of the flag- we're all still american....

Crazyhorse

Your right in what your saying. We do live in America. People have choices. We have freedoms that is unmatched throughout the world. People have the right not to stand or put their hand over their heart during the National Anthem. We as a nation are not forced to do these things. I will fight to the death to protect these rights. I served in the Marines doing just that. The point I was refering to is RESPECT. JMHO

respect is all it comes down to.........i agree with crazyhorse about it being our right to choose whether or not we put our hand on our hearts, but it is a small token of respect or lack of............the sad thing is that these kids who are disrespecting the heritage and honor of the flag are the same kids that are going to be the future of this great country..........jmo

Guys, I don't think it's lack of respect so much as ignorance of the way to properly show respect. Maybe Nick's post will help inform people. Some people also tend to confuse our country with whoever happens to be in the White House, and think they show respect for the president by showing respect for the flag.

That's not true, of course. We respect our country and its flag, no matter who's in the White House, or, more importantly, who's in the Congress.

Just a small point. This country is about tolerating other's points of views and rights, not respecting them. I will tolerate some protester's right to spit on the flag and I served my hitch in the army, willing to fight for his right to do so. That doesn't mean I have respect for him or his views. BECAUSE I DON'T.

I tolerate those who show a lack of respect for the flag, the country, the military, etc. I DO NOT RESPECT THEM OR THEIR VIEW.

Archived