NASCAR Grand National West picks THR

SaltySag

LOL...I hope you aren't seriously trying to compare the Grand National series to that outlaw race...

5 yrs. later that "outlaw" race is still being talked about...LOL

Some of you have mentioned there's no big names that are going to be there that night; y'all seem to forget there is a big name who will be there that night... it's called... NASCAR. Would I, a normal fan, pay an extra 10/20/(maybe 30) bucks to see the race that night... HECK YEAH! I mean, I already pay more to see a USRA (ROMCO) race just because it's a "USRA" race, so why the heck wouldn't I double that to catch a NASCAR race? Sure, it won't be the normal Gordon, Earnhardt, Kahne... whoever, but it will still be NASCAR drivers who MAY be in the big times some day. They may not... but they may. So, although I haven't heard of the drivers, I've definitely heard of the series they run with. As a race fan though, would I pay more to see an Outlaw race? Maybe, maybe not... probably not, because it's not as big in this area.

Someone mentioned the grand stands at THR not holding as much as SAS. I could definitely be wrong, after going to SAS, I would think THR can hold a lot more than SAS. Especially if some temp. bleachers are rented and put at the top of turn 4, or, if possible, on the empty slants on 1 and 4.

Congrats and thanks to Brian and anyone else who has made this race possible.

They cars are actually bush type cars and very few are 'hand me downs'. the engines are a cross between bush and cup. I can say this, alot of your questions will be answered soon. I am good friends with the guy who actually brought the series in and I can tell you this is going to be more than just a race. Look for no "hot pit", maybe a half way break.

Thx for the info on Sarah Fisher Tommy33.I knew she had a big time ride.

Crazyhorse,that bigshot race is all we have to compare any other big race to.It stands to reason that we are talking about it now.Imagine how long they will talk about the big cars running at THR?

This whole argument has gone silly...we are trying to compare a bass boat to a yacht...be positive...don't muddy-up a good thing here.

i was the one being positive in the logic of the pit situations- and why they chose thr over sas...nothing negative on my part...you asked the quetion?i'm very happy for the publicity this will bring to our area,and very happy with the job brian and everyone involved are doing......

I didn't mean,why THR over SAS,I mean't why THR can get one like that but not SAS.Thr got the event because somebody tried to make it happen.Appearently the powers that be at SAS,over the years,havent felt like an event like this was worth pursuing or accepting.With the obvious advantages over other facilities,it just didn't make any sense.I guess it just goes to show us who the REAL promoter in Texas really is right now.B.C.

The people that are putting on the race approached THR...one of the people that helped make it happen, Tavo Hellmund, went to High School in Austin, Westlake (had to throw that in for Josh33) and he competes in the West series. Tavo raced open wheel in Europe for several years with some success. The Austin paper actualy would cover him from time to time, which was a shock because they didn't cover anything racing related at that time and barely do now. Brian thanked Tavo in one of his statements on TSZ.

I hope that the event is a success. It will only help racing in our area, no matter which track puts it on. SAS is also planning major races as we discussed at the press conference. If the race at THR is a success, we all win. If it is a disaster, it will make it that much harder for all of us. Brian and THR can count on our support.

Some of this stuff reminds me of the old commercial about my Dog is better than your Dog. We only hurt ourselves with all of our internal bashing.

Tavo West Site

I think it will great seeing those big heavy cars run on that track..it bring's me back to alot of years ago when they brought in some cup car's to speed-o-rama..I was young then but it was way cool seeing cars that you could of only see on tv..and not to much then..wide world of sports..ten laps they go to snow skiing...yuck

Eddy said something above...I hadn't thought of that before he said something, but I can think of a handful that I imagine would try to put something together...just reading into it, kinda got the feeling there might be a bandit viii or ix or whatever number he is up to...some of our guys with a lot of THR experience should have a homecourt advantage...

Archived