whats the middle finger worth?

ProTree

Gotta say I agree with Jason.. If I was getting paid what these guys were I'd feel professional as...well I think I would show some professionalism. There are cameras everywhere in Nascar and it's not just grownups watching these guys. I know my kids have seen worse but that doesn't make it right. I wouldn't flip the bird at someone on the track (I givem payback later. Just gotta make it look like an accident . That way you don't offend anyone...expecially kids. :lol::lol::lol: )

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

isnt his sponsor that new jack me up pill "WIN" that junior also plugs-he must of taken to many during the race and had that feeling like ants crawling on his scalp-oh s#*@ -how would i know about that-lol-must of been an 80's flash back from the long haul days-hehehe :blink:

So.....since you street shootings on TV every day, should it not be alright to carry a gun in your racecar? Going by most of y'alls principles it would. Now how freaking stupid does that sound to ya?? :angry:

I agree with Jason, make him pee in a cup again! :o

Having a gun in your car is completely different from a natural human reaction to flip someone off when your adrenaline is going. They better be careful what they eat cause if they fart in their car before the race and it's caught (heard) by the in car mic before they turn the car over, someone may be offended.

A middle finger in the air is nothing, give it a rest.

I am guessing we are going to have to fine Jay when he reads that Eric!   :lol:

Am I gonna' get fined for saying middle finger? I mean, when I say middle finger, a middle finger comes to mind, which basically means I'm showing everyone a middle finger when I say middle finger. Man, that's like 125 points right there! :lol::lol:

Just kidden' :D

i remember years ago on espn midget thunder series sarah mc cune won a race and a driver flipped her off and the announcer asked her about it and she said"oh,he was telling me i was #1"

They are ready have it that the drivers can't say anything that doesn't meet with NASCAR approval

And if they don't like it, those drivers can go ....... uhmmmmm .......errrrrr.......???

It is NASCAR's deal. Abide by the rules, or don't. Like em, or don't.

But they have the best paying gig in town, so if you want to make mad money driving in circles, you do what the people signing the checks say to do. Or not do.

There are 1000 other guys who think they can drive just as good and 950 of them will do what ever it takes to make it there, and stay there. No matter how they feel about the rules.

Don't like it? Walk. It's a free country.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

NASCAR is getting out of control. They are turning into the NBA, The NFL, etc. In my opinion they are running Auto Racing into the ground. Watching to races on TV is a "Dog and Pony" show. If the teams and their sponsers dont put up the $$ then they dont get the coverage.Its all about the money. The network that showed the "Finger" should be fined. Where was the time delay? But hey, that shot got them some steamy coverage. Who cares if it cost someone $$ and points. Thats the way I see it. I havent even watched one race this year on TV for that reason. Ill go watch some real racing at my home track where raving is racing and and no one has to keep looking over their shoulder to see if someone has a camera pointed at them inside their car. JMO :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Racerx

I wouldn't think of flipping you off.Its people like you that make local racing fun to watch. But if I saw you filp someone off while on the track I would just say to myself...This race is about to get real interesting. Emotions and expressing those emotions is part of racing. It would be real boring if emotions were checked at the gate. JMO again

Racerx

BTW...How do you know if I was giving you the FINGER? You are supose to be driving the "Love Potion #9" to the front of the pack. Keep you eyes on the track and Ill let you know how many people are giving you the finger from the stands. HA-HA :lol::lol::lol::lol:

hey LL-if i can get a break from the starting line at the drag strip so i can come see the son race i wont flip you the finger- i'll "MOON YA"from turn 1-i'll polish it real good so you'll get a big glare in your windsheild when the lites hit my big butt-you may need sunglasses or dark sheild on helmet-:D- be ready-no warning in advance-lol

Driver etiquette is a problem for NASCAR, but the lack of respect young drivers have for old ones is a bigger one

By John Sturbin

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

MARTINSVILLE, Va. -- There is a fine line between being flippant and flipping someone off.

For NASCAR driver Shane Hmiel, that has translated into a monetary fine, a points deduction and potentially even more damaging -- a loss of respect in the garage area.

NASCAR fined Hmiel $10,000 and docked him 25 driver's points Wednesday after an in-car camera caught him flipping his middle finger at Dale Jarrett during a Busch Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway on Monday.

Four days later, Jarrett said he was right in approaching Hmiel's car during a red-flag stoppage of the Sharpie Professional 250. And Hmiel issued a statement at Martinsville Speedway in which he apologized to the fans -- "especially the children" -- and to Jarrett.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Dale," said Hmiel, who is entered in today's NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Kroger 250. "He has proved he is a great race driver. He has won a championship, two [actually three] Daytona 500s and numerous other races. There is no way I meant to hit him. It was simply five laps to go at Bristol. Things happen so fast and with everyone wrecking in front of us, it played out that Dale ended up with a torn-up race car. I hate that it happened."

Jarrett slowed to avoid an accident and was hit from behind by Hmiel (pronounced MEEL). Jarrett hurriedly walked down half the frontstretch to Hmiel, still seated inside his car. Jarrett leaned inside the window to deliver his message, and as he turned away Hmiel saluted him.

"The reason there was a red flag and the reason I went to Shane's car was to ask him where he thought he was going," said Jarrett, who is competing in Sunday's Nextel Cup Advance Auto Parts 500 here. "I just didn't understand his impatience at that time, and I think that's something all of us have to learn.

"I didn't go to create a fight and I certainly didn't go to create a situation that would actually be harmful to Shane. I hate it that he's lost points and I hate that he got the fine. ... I've heard him say that I threatened him. I didn't threaten him. My comments were to him that 'it would cost him' and, obviously, it has cost him."

The incident also has rekindled debate over a long-simmering problem -- the perceived lack of respect some of NASCAR's "Young Gun" drivers have for established veterans such as Jarrett, 48. Jarrett is one of the charter members of the Busch Series, having competed as a regular in its debut season of 1982. A Cup regular since 1989, Jarrett won the series championship in 1999 for car owner Robert Yates. He is a son of two-time NASCAR champion Ned Jarrett.

Hmiel, 24, is the son of Steve Hmiel, technical director at Dale Earnhardt Inc. Prior to joining DEI in 1998, Steve Hmiel logged 11 years at Roush Racing, including a stint as Mark Martin's crew chief.

During a postrace interview on Monday, Hmiel said that if Jarrett wanted to settle the score, "He'd better hurry up because he doesn't have much longer" until he faces retirement."

"I think that when Shane did that, what he doesn't understand is that he offended a lot of people," said Jeff Burton, Martin's former Roush teammate who is now driving for car owner Richard Childress.

"He offended a lot of fans of this sport that have been here for a while and he didn't accomplish a whole lot other than making a lot of people mad.

"In the end, Shane came out the loser in this thing, in more ways than just points and money. I don't know if that's youth or what it is. Whether you're 22 or 43, there's a code of conduct that needs to be adhered to."

Hmiel, who drives for Braun Motorsports in the Busch Series, said team owner Todd Braun has filed an appeal with NASCAR. Braun was docked 25 owner's points for the incident.

"I am very passionate about my racing and I am a hard racer," Hmiel said. "I love racing and there is nothing more I want to do. I would like to personally assure the fans that I have the utmost respect for all of the drivers who have built this sport to the level it is today, especially Dale Jarrett. I intend to speak with Dale and apologize to him for the comment I had after the race in the heat of the moment."

Archived