Eric Knudtson Fast and Competitive

Release: April 6, 2005

Boerne Driver Knudtson Fast and Competitive Despite Error in Setting Up Viking Racing Camaro

San Antonio – Viking Racing driver Eric Knudtson of Boerne, Texas won twice at San Antonio Speedway (SAS) in the Sportsman Class in 2004 and had 12 top-five finishes in 17 races, but ended up losing the title by 24 points, so he was fired up to get the 2005 season started last Saturday night in the American Classified "Sportsman 25." The non-points American Classified race was an added attraction with a bonus purse as part of the first United States Racing Association (USRA) super late model and AllStar race trucks weekend, but things didn't go quite the way Eric planned.

"I made a mistake," he said ruefully after the race. "I misread my setup notes, and set the stagger on the right rear tire too short." That change meant the Viking Racing Chevrolet Camaro wouldn't turn into the corners the way it should, instead wanting to go straight. As the racers say, "it was pushing like a dump truck." But Knudtson qualified second, just behind the record-setting run of Justin Oates. How'd you do that, Eric?

"I drove my tail off," he laughed. "I just went in as hard as I could, and let it push. You can't burn the tires up in two laps. In the race, though, I couldn't do anything but stay with the pack. It just wouldn't turn down enough to pass anyone."

Despite all that, plus a spin down the front straight following contact with another car, Eric managed to stay with the lead pack and finish fifth in what fans in the stands were saying was a great eight-car race.

This weekend Eric will be back at SAS for the first points-paying race of the season, ready to start his run at the 2005 championship. And this time, he'll be checking those notes a little more closely.

T. Q. Jones P. O. Box 91346 Austin, TX 78709-1346

PH: (512) 261-5236 Email: tqj@mindspring.com

Archived