Thoughts on the future of asphalt stock car racing in Texas

NickHolt

Years ago, asphalt short tracks flourished across the country and were the place to be on Saturday night. A whole segment of the population couldn't wait to see if their favorite driver would be challenged for the win or if the kid down the street would make the "main" this time out.

Of course, there wasn't a whole lot of competition for the almighty "entertainment" dollar back then. Sure, there was always the movie show, or you could go "out on the town," or simply sit at home in front of the TV or behind a book, but a lot of folks headed straight to their local track - be it asphalt or dirt - on Friday or Saturday nights. And you knew that if you wanted to occupy your usual bleacher spot, you had better get to the track early.

It was really a social hub – even a way of life - for a whole bunch of folks. I miss those days, but times change and we have to change with the times.

While there are still a few pockets where asphalt short track racing still flourishes, many tracks are struggling to compete for a piece of that entertainment dollar. Quite a number have not survived and are now overrun by weeds or buried under city sprawl. Others are barely hanging on. I guess there are a few asphalt short tracks that seem to be faring well, but they are few and far between.

Right here in good old Texas we’re facing the prospect that there might be no asphalt short tracks operating in 2017 unless something dramatic changes in the next few weeks,

It’s pretty obvious that the business model that worked so well for so many years is history and that the model needs a basic revision and not just some version of a tweak here and a tweak there. Paving the parking lot, raising the purse, adding classes, shortening the program, etc, are all good things, but nowhere did those tweaks stop the downward spiral except in rare cases.

We need a new business model.

Over the next few weeks, there may be opportunities to flesh out the business model that Tim Self envisioned and began to develop. Rodney and I understand where Tim was headed with this new model and it will be interesting to help bring about the next level. Frankly, the future of asphalt stock car racing in Texas is at stake here and we are asking for your patience and understanding as things develop.

More thoughts to follow... Stay tuned.

Nick

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Entertainment dollars back then .......true... you talking bout the good old day just makes young ones say .you old folks just live in the pass ....yep i admit it .lot more fun then some of us have been lucky enough to live through those days ...and we are proud of it.. just wonder what it was like before my time old man nick .

As noted in my previous post in this thread, it is becoming increasingly obvious that asphalt short track racing in Texas needs a new business model if the sport is to flourish - or even survive.

The reason our sport has survived as long as it has is simply because it meets a basic human need to compete and fulfills an innate desire to excel. Ever since its earliest days, the sport has offered folks a chance to display a wide range of skills and abilities - mechanics, fabrication, machining, engine tech, suspension tech, driving skill, perseverance, financial acumen just to name a few.

Likewise, the adrenaline rush obtained when competing against folks just as determined as you are to take that checkered flag is addicting and keeps racers coming back for more. Put that adrenaline rush together with the personal satisfaction that comes from earning a checkered flag or a championship and it's very understandable why the sport has survived as long as it has. Racers are often willing to sacrifice the grocery money, risk their very lives and - all too frequently - their personal relationships to achieve that rush and obtain that sense of personal achievement.

But in spite of the many reasons we love our sport, we’re only deluding ourselves if we believe that our sport will survive (or flourish) if tracks lose money using the traditional business model if that model no longer produces a profit for the track owner.

Frankly, track owners and promoters do not owe us racers a place to race. And I know of no law that requires them to pay a penny in purse money to help support our addiction. No matter how much money we sink into our race cars, and no matter how loud we squeal on social media every time we feel we've been shortchanged, tracks are under no obligation to fund our hobby. They are there to make a profit just like any other business. Period.

And don’t forget that in many instances track property is worth more as a supermarket site, a housing development or even a parking lot than as a race track. It must be very tempting from a business point of view to sell the track for more than they paid for it and to stop whatever bleeding that might have been taking place. Very tempting indeed.

Utilizing the property for a few races a year - which may or may not break even - while the place sits idle the rest of the time is no longer a viable business model. Consistent, predictable, year-round income from a variety of events on the property is a viable business model.

We need that new business model and I want to toss a few ideas around with you over the next week or two. Some of you may not like what I have to say, and that’s OK as long a you keep the conversation civil and on topic.

Yep, it sure would be nice one of us were to hit the multi-million dollar jackpot or if a knight in shining armor with a vault full of cash and a love of the sport were to come charging to the rescue. I guess it could happen, I wouldn’t count on it.

Nick

Back in the day : Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi all raced every weekend if not every other weekend. 75% or more stands filled Average

Present day: Kyle, once a month (closed), San Antonio, quarterly (closed), Corpus Christi, quarterly (closed), Houston, once a month (closed) All with an average of 50% stands filled.

The Contrast : Dirt tracks, run weekly or bi-weekly (most still open) average 75% stands filled

Asphalt racing is a struggle across the country, its not just Texas but a great many of the tracks that closed or are on the road to closing have fallen to this type of setup.

I dont know what it takes to run a track, I dont know the cost, I got tons of respect for anyone crazy enough to attempt to do so. So I am not about to say what should or shouldnt happen. Im just going to say that this scenario at local asphalt tracks in Texas has played out all across the country in almost identical situations where the racing get less and less frequent then poof, its gone.

Well in most cases dirt racing is more exciting than asphalt.I've also had several ex-asphalt drivers tell me dirt is more fun and forgiving. Most dirt tracks have two lanes of racing and some three.SAS was a good two groove track and CCS for a couple years was a two and sometimes 3.SAS lost out to the county more or less and CCS when most of the racers followed Owen to STS. I had a feeling when CTS had that $5000 to win and was it $500 to start Late Model race, promoted the hell out of it and got what 12 cars that there was a problem. Add to that the decline in NASCAR. It's tough because there is not a large pool of asphalt racers to draw from. I think the answer is to make the program interesting for both the fan and the driver. Can the middle up of the track be ground , grooved or sealed to give extra lanes of racing to make it better for the fan and driver? Can CTS cut some classes or not run all the classes at once and bring back heat races so fans can see their favorite class/classes more than once and give drivers more racing instead of having to spend all the hot day at the track?Hopefully something can be figured out. It would be sad it there is no asphalt track in all of Texas.

Asphalt racing is a struggle across the country, its not just Texas but a great many of the tracks that closed or are on the road to closing have fallen to this type of setup.

It was easy before, we had a late model, street/super and hobby class plus a touring class. Man those were packed pits the beer was cold the stands were full and the burgers were cheap man I miss those days that's how I became a race fan.

Now we have to entertain the crowd and give everyone a place to race and half the racers don't show up?

SA Speedway re opened and then had to close because the teams and crowds stopped showing up after one event?

In the last days of THR we had few cars and decent fan count and Mary Ann Naumann killed herself to give us a place to race, CC Speedway used to run 4 races a year and no cars showed up to race?

When we went to battle as CTS we were hated! No cars, no fans, lost money no matter what we did, eventually it worked out for whatever reason.

I am glad all the dirt racing is doing well and support every track that plans to race in 2017, hell I'll come race dirt with you if I can but this is not for a lack of trying. Cement racing has gotten realllyyyy $$$$$. When Austin, CC and SA had racing going balls to the wall these classes were all full of cars and everyone had fun. My thought, let's get back to local racing and let the prospective series racers/regional guys kill it on the national tours, I guess that's what the dirt tracks do?

Remember when the asphalt tracks operated like dirt? One race day, show up at 5 race at 7 are we ready for that again? Heat races no breaks in between races?

Judging here we are but race day 5 cars show up is a total let down, at the same time I love you all but don't care to stay at the track running a main event till 2am.

Time to really think what we are planning to gain here friends let's be ready for progress and a good season.

we raced cts seasons 2014 and2015 .grands one year tps the next .local track wasn't running but four races or so ... the cost decided the travel was keeping us broke .not to mention car cost ... right now dirt is a lot cheaper and local ..if it opens this year that is where we will be ..saves bout $200.00 min a weekend .add that up over a month ..

Rodney,

You made some real good points. And Yes, the 10, 11, and 12 class days suck canal water. For spectators, racers and crews. I do remember rolling into longhron at 4pm or later, having a few minutes of practice and on to heat races. 4 classes a weekend 30+ weekends a year. The thing was, you knew if you broke you would be able to race as soon as you got it fixed. 1 week, 2 or 3, didnt matter. You were gonna race. Now its not so definite. If it rains, it might be 2 months before the next event, blown motor, half a season for us poor folks. By then you made plans to go hunting with your buddy or got a pool party planned. Then its "well, ill be ready for the next one" and so on till the season is over. Racers have bad ADD. If they arent full tilt boogie into their cars they will go on to the next best thing. Asphalt racing became a LOT less frequent due to closures and schedules so many went to dirt and many went to boats, hot rods or something else bright and shiney.

Cory

How bout this for CTS. 1 / Race every other week 2/ Cut classes to 8 3/ Run PLM , Street ,SC and Legacy one week 4/ Run PM , Trucks , Grands and Dwarf the other. 5/ Add another class or special event(Demo, boat and trailer,train, concert ) as a 5th now and then. 6/ Bring back heat races , 8 cars (24 cars 3 heats etc.) 7/ 8-10 lap heats 20-25 lap features 8/ Eliminate qualifying 9/start at 7 open at 4. Running fewer classes should allow for some unforseen delays. These 8 classes all have good car counts. I think it is a good mix to keep fans interested twice a month.

Arob has a good point alternating weekends. I know we were there late every night we went. Makes for a long drive home when you pull out at 2am. I also think racers getting two races heats and features does more for them. Not just practice. But competing for your starting spot.

Maybe run alternating clases week one and two. One week off then up the payday a little for the last week and and alternate rotation every month so one month two weeks off one month one week off

since i have moved to texas last year, i have not been to a paved race track. i usually prefer dirt, but still see in various places good asphalt racing. Lebanon Missouri still has the only asphalt track in Missouri. there is not a great car count there but they get a good crowd. the biggest difference is that they still invert the starts of the events. everywhere where the lineup is inverted based on points average, there is a lot of passing and action. this leads to a larger crowd. too many tracks, especially asphalt, lineup the cars with the fastest cars up front. so you get a single file race with very little passing.

in the 70's, all of the tracks where i lived inverted the starts. the asphalt tracks then only had about 10 - 13 cars in the late models. but with the fastest cars in the back, you had at least some of the race providing action. While working in the Dakotas, i noticed they were still inverting the starts. This led to good racing, and good crowds, even with the oil crash leaving the economy in bad shape for the last two years.

I am not sure if this is the answer. but it is something to think about

I've said this for a long time.....and, of course, no one listens...

WAY TOO MANY CLASSES!

There's only XX amount of sponsorship dollars available in every area.....If it gets split up by 10 classes that may cover just a handful of cars per class......NOW.....if you reduce classes to, say, 4/5......Then the available money goes to double the amount of cars per class.....Same math applies to the track payout.....Better pay outs, more cars can fix stuff and be back next week.

The biggest class killer is money spent on cars.....$3000 motors are now $15000....$5000 motors are now $25000.....Racers have, in some ways, done this to themselves.....and I'm sorry but $5000 shock packages are freaking insane.....Ya, technology is great for those that can afford it....Others it takes its toll financially and the fun OUT of racing.

Until these issues are addressed racing, in any form, is going to struggle....It just hit the asphalt side first here....I don't think<<key word alert>> that costs can back up to where they once were.....Yes I realize EVERYONE wants their class to run, but that's just not viable.

If a track could come up with a slate of one high-priced/high-speed class, one high end Street Stock class, one beginner Street Stock class, then maybe one rotating special event class(IE; Trucks, Mods, Super Lates) I believe it would be far more beneficial to the track/racers/fans....

I know, I know....

post-34-0-41113300-1484271544_thumb.jpg

Agreed 10+ classes way to many for one night. Since CTS is the only asphalt game in Texas I felt they could split the 8 classes. One week PLM -10 Street-18 SC-18 and Legacy-12 gives a good average car count of 58. Second week PM- 15 -Trucks-15 Grands-15 and Dwarf-18 gives an average count of 63. Running 8 in one night is too much. Going the 5 class option I would take PM , Street , SC , Trucks and Dwarf.Run every other week with no qualifying using heat races instead.Maybe alternate Dwarfs with the rest.This would give the 5 classes an average car count of 84!now the 5 class night would give the racers and fans10-12 heat races and 5 features. A good night of racing and at worst I would think out by 12. If time becomes a problem then you could put time limits on features. It can be done. Kennedale starts at 7 , runs 5 or 6 classes,18 races or more, well over 120 cars a week and are done by 11 or before. They clear the track of accidents QUICK! The key is being quick.When the cars are exiting their race the next race is coming on the track. Get damaged cars off the track fast.

I'll say this about TPS, they usually run pretty quick with the format they have. My only criticism is lack of invert, especially when you have so few that are way ahead of the rest. Those guys could probably start scratch and still win but when they're up front they take off and leads to a boring (for a fan) race. Not trying to bash the series or those drivers in any way and I know those top runners do try to help the others. Hope you guys don't take it as a bash, just an observation and not trying to call a full invert. Running 40+ years they obviously do something right. As for the rest of the asphalt classes, it has just become two things, 1. It seems almost impossible to pass without a bump and run or playing the cone game (which was a great idea) and 2. Like Jay said, seems money buys speed. Again, great for those that can afford it, but most can't. The best races I've seen on asphalt the past few years are in the classes that are relatively low budget. The "middle" classes seem to wreck a lot as they try to move up and the high dollar classes get separated and strung out. Need to find that middle ground and know CTS has made efforts to make it more racy and fair. Also agree with the amount of classes being run but know why they do that too, especially when you only have one asphalt track running. IMO, asphalt racing priced itself out and when it's difficult to race multiple grooves, it's hard to help it grow. The one consistent class on either surface has been the dwarfs so hats off to you guys. Again, not trying to bash anyone on here, just the things I've noticed. I do hope CTS, CCS, and HMP can get things together and keep those options open for those that choose to race asphalt.

top shelf I know you did not see to many tps races over the last couple of years at cts ..most of the tps races were top 6 invert by draw after qualifying .. tps is in transition with new and younger drivers coming into the series .the learning curve to get up to the front with the lead drivers can be tough . the new drivers look like what they are rookies but each one of em listen pay attention and do everything they can to move forward .with limited races it is tougher on them ...if tps can keep racing the comp will get a lot better ...

Glad they were using some inverts. I know the 4 at CCS a few years ago they didn't and Sergio took off. Just sucks that gap is so wide and it's not a knock on any of those drivers, just the way it is. Same with the local SCs, GB is so far ahead. Not his fault and he did try to make it an entertaining race every night and the STP events were fun to watch him drive his a $$ off to keep up. Of course the last one, that Mustang out there was probably faster than the Limiteds. Thing was a rocket. I do hope something happens for the asphalt drivers and do hope it grows and stays sustainable.

Archived