Great opinion in Circle Track magazine

RodneyRodriguez

While it is not my usual practice to allow full articles from paid subscription magazines, in this case i sincerely believe the good folks at Circle Track will forgive me for doing so.

Both James Huff and I have caught flack for doing just exactly what this article advocates in the Lone Star Legacy series, but we enforce clean, non-aggressive driving in our series in spite of a few critics.

And since James and I are both in our 70s and have been involved in stock car racing for a combined 100+ years, neither of us has anything to prove to. We just believe the same way Mr. Boles does about the state of the sport and have determined to give those who want to driver like ladies and gentlemen a place to race.

Nuff said...

Nick

it starts at home .period .. we brought our son up to respect others and does everything he can to respect them is he perfect most likely not .I have only once driven a race car to really go after someone and wreck them into a wall .after I accomplished that I thought you know I could have hurt that driver ..all the safety equipment in the world cant cover every thing that could happen ..plus it never looks good for your sponsor . but I have over the years seen to many hot heads and those who have daddy who will just fix the car each and every time they wreck em ..and have seen too many racetracks let that go on to long cuz they are friends and don't want to lose a car ..

well here we go. I have been racing for a long time . and yes it seems that the guy or girl that gets taken out has to go to the back .while the the other car keeps his or her spot.i do believe its hard to make a call right every time. Does how much money the track is getting from someone influence the call. MAYBE. YES WE NEED EVERY TRACK OPEN.AS a guy who has a young girl racing she knows and sees what's right and wrong .it makes her mad. Fans see it too. Why cant the tracks. HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

sorry Nick was hoping you were going to allow it. Just a good reminder while we have a little time to think about it.

Rodney, knowing me as well as you do, you knew perfectly well that I would allow that article on here in spite of copyright laws! I hope Circle Track doesn't mind too much...

This article is timely and very appropriate for our sport, which seems to be in decline. Yes, there are pockets where stock car racing is thriving around the country, but more tracks are closing than opening overall.

Nick

Well before people criticize little brat Nemechek, remember, wonder boy Chase Elliott did the same thing to win the same race the year before when he dumped Dillon to win. But since Chase is son of one of the most popular drivers in the sport its all "just racing". I do agree with the article but unfortunately its ALL about who you are. NASCAR in the modern era has NEVER disqualified anyone from a win. NEVER. So what difference does it make? You can cheat and win. You dont have to have talent as proven above.

As for local racing, well too many parents believe there child does no wrong and even when confronted with the facts, disbelieve it. So yes, it all starts with the parenting. Ive seen crew chiefs fired for telling a young driver they were in the wrong. So what kind of message does that send?

I have to agree it all starts at home. Some of these kids today have respect but most of them do not. It is all the entitled everyone gets a participation trophy group. These kids will wreck someone to get one extra spot and they don't care who or what they tear up in the process. They just know that their parents will pay to fix what they tear up and will be proud of them for finishing that one extra spot. To me it doesn't matter if you finished last, 10th, 5th, or 1st if you can drive the car back to the trailer with all 4 wheels and all the body panels on the car you won race. Think about it if your running 4th in the Super Stock class at CTS and wreck the guy in 3rd and end up taking your self out at the same time was it really worth the $100 difference in payout, especially if your running 6th or worse because everyone gets paid the same from there on. Consistency wins championships, last year we started the year off with a 18th and 12th then from there on had 11 straight top 10's and a feature win and we finished 3rd in points. The worse damage we had all season was a wing strut being broke. I always told our driver use your head and be patient it will come to you. We had a driver last year try a bonsai style move on us with 2 to go for the win that took himself as well as us out of the race. If he would of waited he could of passed us off of 2 because he was faster there. Well him not waiting and being patient cost him the championship by 4 points at the end of the season.

You cant win or finish a race sitting in the infield or pits .if I took someone out I either one said sorry or told em why I did it ..i expected them to do the same with me .some did some didn't ..ive had some very entertaining comments thrown at me ..the four drivers in our stable know wrecked cars cost money time labor .they also know in order to get respect u must give it while out on the track .there are some drivers I would love to race door to door with today knowing one mistake makes both of us look like fools but going away knowing the respect was there and we both gave the fans a show .I lost three features in a row by inches against the same driver and loved every one I lost we both were hanging it out for every inch ..many tire marks were the order ..

Archived