NHRA Tragedy

SVCMNGR1

Sad News, Not NASCAR but tragic: Automobile racing, regardless of the venue, is a dangerous business. It goes without saying that those who participate in the racing universe and those who ardently follow the action from the safety of the grandstands or their TV rooms understand the risks. But even the most rock steady fan of the NHRA and its Lucas Oil Sportsman division has truly been shaken and saddened by the freak accident in Tulsa, Okla., on Saturday evening that claimed the life of Top Alcohol Dragster star Shelly Howard and her son, Brian. According to reports, the 59-year-old Shelly was making a test pass in a newly delivered racecar at Tulsa Raceway Park when the dragster's front end lifted vertically somewhere near half-track, sending it into an uncontrollable blowover. The car crashed heavily back onto the racing surface facing the starting line. Then, with her husband, Paul, looking on helplessly, the racecar accelerated back toward the starting line at high speed, crashing into the team's tow vehicle which was parked at the starting line with Shelly's son, 36-year-old Brian, sitting inside the cab. Shelly and Brian lost their lives almost simultaneously in what those in attendance have described as one of the sport's most horrifying mishaps. Police estimated the car hit the truck at 250 mph. And while the accident itself is an unspeakably freakish tragedy, the circumstances and magnitude of the two lives ultimately lost seem to add an even greater dimension of inexplicable sadness to what was witnessed. Shelly Howard was a standout racer, a former Division 4 champion, a former registered nurse who won respect from everyone she encountered with her quiet manner, unquestioned driving skills, and devotion to her family, fans and crew. She also leaves behind two daughters, Jennifer and Tracy, and a legion of friends who came to know and admire her through her NHRA exploits. Info on services can be found at shellyhoward.com.(ESPN.com)(4-5-2005)

:(

a very tragic deal-just a mental picture of this happening is unbelieveable-seeing the car blow over,land,facing the starting line with the throttle hung wide open and accelerating full bore and slamming into the tow truck-i cant began to think of the odds of this happening-my thoughts and prayers go out to the howard family-shelly and brian will truly be missed but not forgotten

racerx-

In the drag world, what happened to Howard is not new; several dragsters have done it before, just didn't have the tragic results. A notable one is Don Garlits many years back. He actually travelled back towards the starting line in a similar fashion, but got it shut off.

While I'm not an expert in dragsters, it appears to me that the engines will not shut off until the fuel valve is closed or the thing runs out of fuel.

This is merely speculation on my part, but maybe the driver was knocked out by the impact of the car coming back to level after the wheelstand, or, in the confusion of the moment, she could not find the valve, usually a lever, or it may not have worked.

Still, a tragic ending.

It has happened more than people realise.The cars almost always hit the wall and never make it back to the start line.The g-forces involved when a car flips 180 degrees at 200+ mph in a fraction of a second must be unreal.The C.A.R.T. guys were hitting seven g's at TMS when they were blacking out behind the wheel.I would say she was out cold with the throttle held wide open.I would hope the place they went has a dragstrip,so they can continue doing what they love.My prayers are in the air.

amen gundog-theres more to be a starter in drag racing than people realize-after a race day you think you just ran talledega cause you have to focus on so much for such a long period of time-

Maybe someone can come up with a remote kill switch system kinda like the Monster Trucks run. I know the speed and how quick things can happen in the Fuel and Alcohol Classes may be a problem with a system like that but in this case maybe it would have helpe prevent a tragedy like this.

We may never know what really happened but Im sure that this will get some kind of safety devise put on all the Rails and F/C's. And your right...When its your time its your time. I ask that everyone say a prayer for them .

We talked about this in the press box @ SAR right after it happened. At that time we did not know the exact details only that somehow the car had hit the tow vehicle, fatally injuring both. Just when you think you've seen it all at any race track, something comes along that you'd never believe. Always remember while at a race track to never turn your back. I've seen more than my share of parts and pieces find their way into the stands and even dodged a falling light pole after it was struck and fell.

Truely a sad day indeed for all of the racing community. :(

amen rebelracewriter-at our meeting friday morning with the ihra officals before we kicked off the nationals,it was said over and over to us"guys,watch your backs-never make a move without keeping an eye on the cars-expect the unexpected and never get to relaxed cause when you do there can be bad results-and with top fuel dragsters 6 ft from either side of me, dont think i wasnt looking for something to exit a motor and it looking for a place to go-like into me-when i left there sat nite after it was over i felt like i was living right-it wasnt my time yet

Archived