Amount of laps ran in a race?

SeanAugustus

I was justing wondering, In nascar every track runs a different amount of laps due to the size of the track.

How many traveling series teams would be for, or against the amount of laps being different for each track depending on its size? For example, in the trucks we ran 50 laps in SAS (1/2mi) and lets say 75 laps in kyle (3/8mi). Even if it meant having to start the races earlier to comply with the 11:30 curfew.

I vote for the lap differences, I think it would be awsome having to set up race cars for different amounts of laps.

sean B)

I like that idea, but i think that'll confuse people ( fans ), because there might have to be an earlier start time. Alot of advertising would have to be done each time a traveling series came to the tracks, and just tryin to get the word out to every one on the new start time. I know i would be a little upset if i had a flyer in my hand that says the races start every week at 7 ( which have already made it off the press ) and i show up to the track at 6:15, adding in some time for a beer and some food, well they're already racing. I just think imo that gettin the words to the fans is the limiting factor. JMO

-Shawn

Anothe factor to take into consideration is that many, if not most, drivers either work on Saturday, or have to travel pretty good distances. It's just not feasible to start any earlier.

It's been considered many times, and hashed over by nearly everyone involved.

Thanks for the thought though.

lol...from 50 to 75 laps at Kyle?Cmon guys...we are talking about minutes here.I agree to change up the lap counts.The trucks proved they can run longer races at SAS saturday night.If USRA keeps providing solid car counts with a large percentage of the cars being competative,let them extend the laps and remove the slower classes from the show.Hmmm...kind of like the more successful series do.I know...there I go dreaming again.lol...I'll keep my hopes to myself now. B)

Slow classes?????? I think i sense a bash here. If i'm not mistaken, the SS and the HS class at THR bring the show. Trucks, they're ok, but it's follow the leader, same with the lm and most of the other touring classes i've seen out there. Plus, minutes, ha, not that i've seen out there. Takes 20 min to run 5 laps out at kyle cuz of the cautions, not that that's bad or anything, but if every touring class that's out there every other week or so (bout 2-3 per night) all want more laps, time will add up. JMO

-Shawn

There are many considerations when a series director or track manager decides how many laps to run their cars. It is easy to look at it only from one point of view, but series directors and track managers have to look at the whole picture, not just one point of view.

And it is also easy to be armchair officials. I appreciate that a people who post here have some really good ideas, but if anyone is truly interested in making a real impact on the local racing scene rather than just commenting about it, get involved with the track or with a series. I know that Thunder Hill Raceway is looking for another sharp infield worker. Becoming a race official is a great way to get involved and learn what really goes on behind the scenes.

Nick Holt

the idea of more laps at THR is .. interesting .. if you want to spend more of your early Sunday morning there. before more laps are added, let's see if each series can run over 70% of their current laps green. then think about making distances more equal for the traveling series.

BTW: NASCAR at Bristol and Martinsville run LAPS, not MILES and it seems to work for them... now try to imagine almost twice the laps at those places! my poor aching tail feathers!

Now Now Guys,

I didnt post this to bash any local classes.

I have alot of respect for Terry Dickerson, he's great guy and IMO I think he is the real deal. I just remember him saying something about the series being perfessional and nascar like. So I thought that maybe if the series decided on a certain amount of miles to be ran in a race then calculated them with the size of the track, It would obviously come out to be different amount of laps for each track.

sean B)

I could be wrong with this, but I don't think it has anything to do with distance and/or amount of laps ran. I think it entirely has to do with time. Just as NASCAR limits their races to two hours (?) for Busch/Trucks and 4 hours (?) for cup, most tracks look at one thing when scheduling amount of track time... the clock. You ask, why not run more laps? It happens on occassions. Some times classes will run 50/75/100/125 at your local track and I think it simply has to do with "What else has to happen on said night". I've seen SAS and THR both cut laps out of a race AS IT HAPPENS just to keep up with the clock. Usually you get 'yellows counted until XX laps are left' or 'yellows don't count'. With the later, usually yellows don't count, but if there are 'too many', they cimply cut out 20/30 green laps and your 125 becomes a 100 lap race in the blink of an eye.

I don't know about drivers, I know to y'all "your class is best", but to a fan RACING IS RACING! You could get out there on a skateboard with hampsters pushing you around the track and, as long as it was a close race, I'll be on my feet cheering on 2nd place the whole time! So, stop complaining about "slower classes", everyone deserves their time... which again is the key. :)

Ummm....I guess I should have chosen my words a little more carefully.I didn't mean to refer to the track's "regular" classes as "slow" classes.After all,Justin Oates out-qualified the USRA trucks.I was just trying to say that we don't need extra classes above and beyond the USRA classes if the USRA races were longer and larger.If I stepped on some toes...Im trying to pick my foot up right now. :)

A couple of Trucks were a little faster, Truck pole was 21.229 which was not a record (Colt James (#60) 2003-10-04 21.055) and Justin's 21.39 was a record for Sportsman... still makes your point...close enough, what's a few tenths among friends?

Speaking as a racer only, I like running with a local show or two...that gives them a chance to run in front of a big crowd which is good exposure for them and their sponsors...I like getting to watch some of those drivers that I only hear or read about on TSZ; some are every bit as talented as some of the USRA drivers, they just don't have the time and/or the money.

And Sean, there will be nights you wished it was 45 laps instead of 50. I would have been fine with a 5 lapper last Saturday.

As I wrote that,I just knew somebody would get technical about the times.As far as me personally...I love the shows that have four or five classes of cars,and last until three in the morning(as long as there are actually races happening and not a bunch of junk,like intermissions).The original question was about lengthening the lap counts on the races.I was just saying,if something has to give,timewise,....but I know I'm losing this discussion now so I'll drop it.

LL i would have liked to shorten sat race too the 5 truck on lap 26 had a valve train problem an lap 40 dang if it didnt happen again. a stuck exhaust valve that of course bent an a broken rocker arm on another cyl well the last restart was it for us jus . good an professional race from everyone was good to see truck count up. this is gonna be a very good year so ummm larry we lookin for a budget to fix truck with ahy ideas lol an two tranyys an a broken mini spool not much practice least it finished

Archived