Judge rules against Tony Stewart In Kevin Ward lawsuit

NickHolt

Judge Rules Against Tony Stewart In Kevin Ward Lawsuit

from Country Music Nation

August 1, 2016 - A federal judge handed down the ruling to the NASCAR driver, following the 2014 death of the young sprint car driver and the following lawsuits.

The new ruling issued by U.S. District Court Judge David Hurd declares that Tony Stewart will be fully responsible for any costs stemming from damage, pain and suffering, legal costs, fees, and anything else that may or may not stem from a current civil lawsuit from Kevin Ward Jr.’s family.

The Ward family filed the lawsuit shortly after a grand jury declined to indict him on charges of second-degree manslaughter and others. He was cleared of all charges and repeatedly apologized to the Ward family through various mediums in the months that followed the 20-year-old’s death.

The pending civil suit will now move forward after this ruling which releases Stewart’s insurance company from being obligated to cover fees for legal representation, among others.

The current legal proceedings had been brought forth after Axis Insurance Co. declined to pay for the cost of legal representation in the civil case because the specific race in which the accident occurred was not listed in their policies with Stewart.

Stewart’s car struck and killed Ward Jr. at an Empire Super Sprints event in August 2014 after Ward exited his car on the track and began walking towards Stewart’s oncoming car in what appeared to be a confrontation.

Watch the ABC report below that contains statements from Kevin Ward Jr.’s family about the incident and claims from the pending lawsuit.

I would not say the jury would not find him guilty in todays world ..civil suits are a ton easier to convict , just find folks who care less for racing and wont understand a thing about it .. those folks will look at the hurt the family went through though it was the kid who killed himself for being stupid and on drugs to boot ..plus they will see tony is rich and feel like he can afford it .this can set the pace for many lawsuits when someone is hurt in a race car wreck at any track on any given weekend ..bad bad DEAL

If it was any other driver...this wouldnt even be an issue.....Tony should not be held liable for something that was not his fault...regardless of pain and suffering.....because of his stardom...Very unfortunate situation for everyone....

That video has been studied and studied over and over again . the only person who knows the full truth is tony ..every thing else is speculation ...

Everyone who has listened to the facts of the case knows what happened.

1) Stewart's car didn't actually touch Ward's car, Ward was legally impaired and thought it did.

2) Ward, while legally impaired, wrecked his car of his own accord.

3) Ward, while legally impaired, ran onto a dark racetrack in a dark suit and tried to grab at Stewart's wing as he came by

4) Ward, WHILE LEGALLY IMPARED, misjudged what he was doing and got hit by a race car while on a live race track.

I imagine many people on this forum have never used Marijuana, while MUCH younger (think high school aged) and dumber I did so I can speak first-hand to how much it can impare you. Marijuana affects your motor skills, your cognitive reasoning, your ability to react quickly or accurately as well as your simple reasoning skills; impairment of all of those elements led to Ward's death. Did the kid deserve to die for being stupid, no. Does Stewart deserve to get punished for the kid being stupid, no.

Ward endangered everyone on the track, in the pit area and even in the stands when he decided to race stoned and because of it now he is dead; those are the facts of the situation and no amount of Stewart's money is going to change that.

Nothing at all against Tony, but if someone killed my kid on the track, I would hold whoever was behind that wheel responsible for their actoins, I've been out of my car more than once, and yes it was stupid but not worth getting run over jmo

Wow, really? You would hold someone else responsible for your kid's actions? That is truly a "Today's" kind of attitude. "I'm not responsible for my own actions. It's someone else's fault, and I'm gonna get paid." Sorry, but I don't agree with your way of thinking. That's the kind of mentality that will destroy local racing. jmo

If it was the kids fault then I am wrong, they shouldn't get a dime, guess I need to get all the facts first, and I'm as old school as you can get, I supported every local track in this area driving and sponcering several cars for 25 years so I wouldn't go there dude.

I agree with you fsaeracer I came to the same conclusion as you many others have . but you don't have to be on any drug to do stupid things .did that impair his judgement I would say so . a hot head a show off going after a big time racer could have played a part by itself . that is what two lawyers in a civil suit will have to prove or disprove and speculation will play a part .as for me they don't have a case .and hope it is dropped ..sorry if my other post left it wide open .

Its crap!

Its complete crap that these people kid acted like a total dumb ass and got hit by another racecar and died. If this would of been Joe local poor racer then it would of went nowhere. Its a crappy ploy for the idiot parents to get money. Plain and simple.

If it was the kids fault then I am wrong, they shouldn't get a dime, guess I need to get all the facts first, and I'm as old school as you can get, I supported every local track in this area driving and sponcering several cars for 25 years so I wouldn't go there dude.

No offense, Dude. It doesn't matter how many cars you sponsor, or for how many years. That is totally irrelevant to this. If racers get a lawyer to sue someone every time there is a crash, or injury on the track, Track owners, and promoters will go broke. Racers will not be able to afford to get expensive "liability" insurance. It is already well on it's way. Why do you think local tracks are all going with sanctioning bodies (NeSmith, IMCA, UMP, USRA...) for their weekly programs? Answer- Insurance. The cost of running a weekly car at the local track has tripled in the last few years. Car count is down. Purse money is down. It is not all about the economy. It is about liability. Lawyers are getting richer, and richer. It's not just racing, either. The "Sue sombody" disease is contagious. If people would be held responsible for their actions, then maybe the madness would stop. That's my point. Nothing personal. I don't even know who you are. Sorry. Not trying to offend anyone. Just expressing my opinion.

Archived