Jump to content

Racing keeps Plymouth Speedway as the Saturday hot spot


Recommended Posts

Racing Keeps Plymouth Speedway as the Saturday Hot Spot


By: Anita Goodan


(Plymouth, IN) The temperature may have dropped from the scorching heat this past week in Northern Indiana, but racing on the dirt surface at Plymouth Speedway kept spectators sizzling.


After a week of rough luck, Roger Duszynski, Jr., of Black Oak, was back on the podium in the WTCA Super Streets Feature. He began the race from the pole and didn’t give up the lead throughout the 20-lap contest. The race was on for the last two spots on the podium between RJ Akers, of Portage, and Eric Hunter, of Kokomo, who started in second and third, respectively. Hunter slipped out of podium contention at the halfway point when he got too high out of the top racing groove and fell to fourth. A caution was called on lap 11 after the engine let go on Rownie Goss’s No. 54R. Duszynski, Jr. held onto the lead with Akers in second. Hunter was able to regain third as the field tightened following the caution. The top three didn’t change until the last lap. Hunter worked on the outside of Akers’ car and the pair were side-by-side on the backstretch. Hunter was able to clear Akers for second as they approached the checkered flag. Duszynski, Jr. claimed another victory with Hunter in second and Akers in third.


It was a three-way battle for the lead at the beginning of the Swan Lake Resort UMP Modified feature. When it ironed out Dylan Woodling, of Warsaw, set sail followed by Nick Allen, of Wheatfield, and Jamie Lomax, of Lake Village. Woodling caught lapped traffic by lap five and got ahead of Allen by a straightaway. That all changed when Woodling’s No. 3 Modified overheated and he had no choice but to make the hard left turn into the infield area. Allen assumed the lead with Lomax in second and Frank Marshall, of Valparaiso, in third. By the end of the Feature, Allen opened up a three second lead on Lomax. Allen went home with the winner’s trophy with Lomax in second and Marshall in third.


Kevin Atkins, of Warsaw, extended his points lead in the Shepherd Firearms Pro Sprints Division with another win Saturday night. Atkins didn’t have it easy as Zane DeVault, of Plymouth, was out front for much of the race. DeVault took over the lead from pole-sitter Clay Sanders on the opening lap with Atkins in second and Garrett Saunders in third. Saunders lost the position after a near flip following hard contact in the turn two wall on lap five. Michael Summers, of Warsaw, captured third after another competitor pulled off the racing surface. DeVault caught lapped traffic just after midway which allowed Atkins to close the wide gap DeVault had on the field. Atkins reeled in DeVault after the leader had difficulty maneuvering his Pro Sprint in the slower traffic on lap 14. Atkins was able to drive away from the field and won the race with DeVault in second and Summers in third.


Last Saturday’s winner in the Walmart Thunder Stocks Division was a winner again this week. John Rhoads, of Mentone, found himself ahead of several cautions that plagued the beginning of the race. Due to the number of cautions, the time limit rule went into effect and the Feature was shortened to nine laps. Rhoads remained out front while Tony Bowman, of Wabash, and David Fritz, of Winamac, rounded out the top three. When the race went green in a green-white-checkered call, Fritz and Bowman were side-by-side going into turn four for the second place position. The pair made contact and went up the racetrack. A caution was called and the race was declared a checkered finish. Rhoads won the race with Chad McLean, of Hobart, in second and Bryan Banta, of South Bend, in third.


Dylan Woodling may have experienced a heartbreaking defeat in the Swan Lake Resort UMP Modified race, he got the sweet taste of victory in the Dickies Restaurant 600 Open Sprints feature. Woodling was able to pass pole-sitter B-Ray Kinzer, of Elkhart, on lap one and continued to lead throughout the race. Trey Johnson, of Warsaw, went by Kinzer for second on the next lap followed by Chad Hartzell, of Granger in third. Hartzell fell to fifth place when he was involved in a late-race caution which allowed Kinzer to move up to the third spot. Woodling stayed out front to claim the win with Johnson in second and Kinzer in third.


The Swan Lake Resort UMP Modified drivers will participate in a double feature when the track resumes action on Saturday, July 23. A $500 bonus will be given to the winner of the Australian Pursuit race which will involve the top 10 average finishers out of the double features. The WTCA Super Streets, Dickies Restaurant 600 Open Sprints and the Shepherd Firearms Pro Sprints will also take to the dirt surface while the Walmart Thunder Stock drivers will take a week off of competition. The gates will open at 4 p.m. with hot laps at 6 p.m. and racing at 7 p.m. ET. For ticket information, visit www.plymouthspeedway.net.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...