Safety in the pits.

I saw something last night that concerned me and prompted me to issue this plea for safety. No need to mention names - could happen to anyone. One of the dwarfs exited the track after the race way too fast, pitched the car sideways just after entering the pits, and nailed the throttle again as he made his way around the corner. You would have thought the race had transitioned into a road course format in the pits.

It was well after dark and the place was packed. If someone had been walking past the track exit at the time, the result would have been tragic. So to the drivers - please, check the temper and the throttle at the track exit. The pits are dark and there are no traffic cops working the pits. We must police ourselves to ensure safety. To the other folks in the pits - always keep your head on a swivel when walking on one of the roads, especially after dark. Stay observant and ready to move when you need to.

Rant over...

I was right by the exit and that was not a dwarf it was a limited modified and the safety worker at the exit of the track with the yellow jacket on watched them do it. I don't know if anything happened or not but whoever it was needs a fine or suspension

HOPE for a speedy recovery ...any driver who comes off that track fast for what ever reason drives through the pits the same would have no good excuse period in my books .when you exit the track the race is over till you safely make it through the pits and make repairs and exit pits safely ..otherwise your MENTALITY LEVEL really needs to be looked into . one must ask themselves .can they live with the fact you hurt or killed someone .remember it could be you friend or a family member you hit ..plus you never know when that insurance man is there and saw that ..they do send folks out the races .... DRIVERS every single person in the pits should always be considered your brother mother dad sister child uncle or what ever ....get control ...OR DO US ALL A FAVOR PARK IT FOR EVER ..

You can say my name it's ok. I take full responsibility for being stupid. I was in the wrong and it shouldn't of happened and it won't happen again from my part. And Hitech my mental level is perfectly fine and I have plenty of control. Like I said it won't happen again from me

THANKS typ 122 you did not have to admit it here . that means your a stand up guy . I have been hit by a car at slow speed and spent three weeks on my back in the hospital .so you can see my passion and anger when someone drives through the pits or anywhere in nature where people are present I know what it feels like ...just like I despise drunk drivers and texting drivers ..carry on and have some great races from now on .

Not excusing the speeding in the pits which the driver sincerely apologized for, but as someone in the pits out of a car, they need to be aware at all times too, especially around the entries and exits. Hopefully this doesn't happen again but probably will at some point and it happens at every track.

I agree top shelf .but you know as I do a car coming into the pits during a race can show up in a seconds notice .it only takes one second looking off from the direction a car could come from to get nailed .that is how I got nailed back in the 70s ..1 second or less .. I look both ways before I move in the pits and have been surprised a few times .remember most of the time a race is going on and you cant hear a lot of those cars coming off the track .its even tougher when you have kids in the pits and thankfully none have been hurt ..so it is the drivers who are driving those tanks to be extra careful and patience and that is really hard when your blood is pumping at high pressure . people in the pits remind me of cattle at times .they wont move sometimes but isn't much driver could do but be careful ...be nice if all tracks had a safe zone for cars to pull in and make it mandatory all cars coming and wanting to go back out must use that area .. . but at some tracks they have no room for that ..

Ya, I almost got hit twice in the same night at CCS because I didn't look to see what was coming from behind me on the road closest to the track. It was a TPS car that had sustained some damage and some flats, veteran driver but I nearly walked in front of him. It was on me, not him. The other time was crossing the road closest to the parking lot, never saw a dwarf car as he was going to either staging or trying to re-enter the track. Never faulted either driver just proving the point we all need to be aware. CTS can be pretty dangerous because you have a lot of people and cars in the pits. Sitting in the car it is hard to see everything around you.

As a long time racer from many walks of life. Ive spent lots of Saturday nights at short tracks all over the west coast. And i have to say the pit rules are very laid back at most tracks in texas. At most tracks ive been too on the west coast you must be 16yo just to enter the pit area during the races. When i first came to central texas speedway and saw kids walking around the pits with race cars screaming in and out of the pits it raised my concerns on a whole different level. Had someone used excessive throttle in the pit area the officails would immediately cut there wrist pan and had them parked for the night. All in all we to respect the fact that cts and many other race tracks in texas allow kids in the pit. Its a privliage not a right. And id hate to see someones child or anyone for that matter get struck by a race car. We all need to remember we are a family. The racing community is a unique group. And we all need to respect the fact that cts is allowing us to have our family with our cars in the pits.

Archived