Thomas to race in ASCS Warrior Sprint Cars, USAC/POWRi National Midget

rebelracewriter

Tyler Thomas to race in three events in ASCS Warrior Sprint Cars, one in USAC/POWRi National Midgets on July 4 weekend

June 23, 2015 - Tyler Thomas of Collinsville, Okla., will race in four events over the Fourth of July weekend, three in Missouri in the Speedway Motors American Sprint Car Series Warrior Region from July 2-4 and will conclude the Independence holiday on July 5 with the Pepsi Nationals in the co-sanctioned Honda USAC/POWRi Lucas Oil National Midgets at Angell Park Speedway in Sun Prairie, Wis.

Thomas will be driving the Jeff Smith-owned Maxim 360 in the ASCS Warrior Region at Double X Speedway in California, Mo., on July 2, Callaway Raceway in Fulton, Mo., on July 3 and Randolph County Raceway in Moberly on July 4.

The 19-year-old American Racing Custom Wheels driver is seventh in the ASCS Warrior despite not entering one of the four events. Hes finished fourth twice and 12th in three features. Thomas and team owner and crew chief Jeff Smith continue to make progress in their communication to improve the Maxims handling.

Jeff has been able to adjust the car to my driving style better and better and were not far away from hitting it on the money right now, Thomas said.

Thomas finished fourth in an ASCS Warrior event on Sunday at Double X. He was ninth in the feature at Salina (Kan.) Speedway on Friday night and 12th at Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Mo., on Saturday in Lucas Oil ASCS National events.

Thomas was racing at Salina for the first time.

We kind of struggled all night, Thomas said. I was fifth in the heat and had to run the B feature, which we won, and we started 17th in the feature. We got up to ninth and I was pretty pleased with a top 10 on a track that was tough to pass on. At Lucas Oil, I made a mistake in the heat and buried us by finishing sixth. We started seventh in the B main and we got up to third, the final transfer spot. We started dead last in the feature and actually got into the top 10 before dropping a couple of spots in the last laps.

We carried that momentum into Double X. We won the heat and finished fourth, which was a good way to complete the weekend.

Thomas is tied for second with Kevin Thomas Jr. of Cullman, Ala., in the Honda USAC National Midgets with 295 points. Tracy Hines of New Castle, Ind., is the leader with 304. Thomas has finished in the top eight in all six USAC National Midget events this season.

Angell Park is one of the coolest places Ive ever been to, Tyler Thomas said. Theres so much history there and the fans really turn out and love the racing. Its really cool to b a part of it.

With the rescheduled Indiana Midget Week finale at Kokomo rained out Sunday night, Thomas finished third in the points with 202. Rico Abreu of Rutherford, Calif., won the title with 257 and Brian Clauson of Noblesville, Ind., was second with 256.

Archived