Saturday Night Special heats up Plymouth Speedway

Saturday Night Special Heats up Plymouth Speedway

by Anita Soltis

(Plymouth, IN) - Five divisions took to the Playground of Power where the drivers fought for every inch of the track for a chance to stand on the Techworks Trailer Sales podium Saturday night.

The Dickies Restaurant 600 Open Sprints found a new winner on top of that podium. Eric Saunders started on the pole and took the early lead. He didnt give up the position throughout the 20-lap feature. It appeared that the second position would be owned by Garrett Saunders, but a bobble allowed Nick Yoder to sneak past Saunders for the second position on lap 14. Saunders was not able to regain the spot after the pass. Eric Saunders won the feature, his second career win in the division, while Yoder was second and Garrett Saunders was third.

Its awesome to be up here again, said Eric Saunders, who is paralyzed from the chest down. I thank everyone who is a part of this win - my sponsors, my family and my fans. The track was great tonight.

The Walmart Thunder Stock division also found a new driver on top of the podium Saturday night. John Rhoads had an undefeated season going into the night, but that would change by the end of the 20-lap feature. Rhoads did take the lead on lap two and stayed there until a caution bunched up the field with only three laps to go. Jim Henson had been on the bumper of Rhoads throughout the feature and finally got the lead from Rhoads after the pair battled side-by-side on lap 19. Rhoads attempted a come back but it wasnt meant to be. Henson won the race with Rhoads second and Tom Grall with the last podium spot. Grall raced from the back of the field to the third place position. Rhoads and Henson shook hands after getting out of their race cars and talked briefly about the race.

Im very proud to beat him (Rhoads) as hes the guy to beat every week, smiled Henson. Thank you to everyone. I had an issue with the car last week and glad I got it fixed to enjoy the win tonight.

David Short took home the first place trophy in the 20-lap WTCA Super Streets feature, but it wasnt easy. Michael Clark gave him some competition out front as he lead the first six laps. Short and Clark were side-by-side for the lead on lap seven when Short bumped Clark in turn three and captured the lead. Clark didnt give up easily as he attempted to get the spot back but was unsuccessful. In the meantime, Roger Duszynski started picking through the running order from his seventh place start. He claimed the third place spot by the 14th lap and tried to run down Clark for second. Duszynski ran out of laps and ended up on the last spot on the podium. Clark finished second and Short won the race.

The car handled really well and Clark certainly gave me a good run today. The track was slick which is more to my liking. Im happy with the win, commented Short.

The Swan Lake Resort UMP Modifieds race was eventful as Jamie Lomax steered his way into victory - his second win on the season. Frank Marshall jumped to an early lead but a tie-up with Derek Losh on lap seven would send both drivers to the rear of the field. Lomax and Marshall were fighting for the lead when they got into each other coming out of turn four. The two were side-by-side going into turn one and found the field bunched up behind them. Marshall fell behind Lomax while the race cars driven by Marshall and Losh got hooked together and caused a caution. The pair were sent to the rear of the field on the restart. They were in the running order together through much of the contest, but Marshall maneuvered himself into the top-three. Lomax enjoyed the lead while all of the action unfolded behind him. Dylan Woodling had started sixth and worked his way into the runner-up position after Marshall and Losh were involved in their dust up. Woodling held his position for the second podium placement while Marshall rounded out the top three.

There are a lot of good cars in the pits and we got the car where we needed to be. Frank (Marshall) and I got together in a racing deal. He had to fight back from the back of the pack. I give him credit for that. The track was awesome and I hope we are headed in the right direction, stated Lomax.

Aaron Day picked up his first feature win in the Bane-Welker Cyber Stock Division Saturday night. He claimed the lead early and set sail. Jason Ormsby held the second running position until the last lap when Richard Loraff went around him. Loraff worked 11 laps to get into the second spot in the running order from the last spot in the field. Day had the win with Loraff second and Ormsby third.

I felt like the top groove finally came in for me, said Day. It was smooth sailing. Well be back again next week!

Next week will be Mod Squad night at Plymouth Speedway where the Swan Lake Resort UMP Modifieds will be racing for bragging rights and a large payday. The Dickies Restaurant 600 Open Sprints, WTCA Super Streets, Walmart Thunder Stocks and the Bane-Welker Cyber Stocks will also race for more money in next weeks full night of racing. Gates open at 4 p.m., hot laps are at 6 p.m. and racing is at 7 p.m. ET.

Archived