HMP cancels the racing program set for this Saturday, June 6

NickHolt

Houston Motorsports Park cancels the NASCAR-sanctioned stock car meet set for this Saturday, June 6, 2015

Houston, TX (June 3, 2015) – Officials representing management team currently leasing Houston Motorsports Park have announced that this weekend’s NASCAR racing program has been cancelled due to an unfortunate accident involving one of the principals in the much-anticipated sale of the NASCAR-sanctioned speed plant located in Northwest Houston.

Jim Beasley, who was in ongoing negotiations with the Houston Motorsports Park ownership to purchase the park-like motorsports facility consisting of a 3/8-mile concrete/asphalt oval and a 1/8-mile drag strip, was severely injured in a roll-over accident several days ago and had major surgery on his spine two days ago. As a result, he faces several months of rehab and physical therapy.

“Jim is a very strong man,” said HMP Chairman of the Board Tracy Trotter. “But he’s also a realist and realizes that this rehab process will require all of his attention and focus for the next several months, if not longer. He felt that for the good of the Texas racing community that he should back away from the proposed purchase of the Houston Motorsports Park facility and terminate his lease agreement with Houston Motorsports Park.”

Beasley’s management team promoted all three oval track events held at the track so far this year under a lease agreement with the track owners.

As a result of this unfortunate situation, the NASCAR stock car racing program scheduled for this Saturday, June 6, 2015, has been cancelled and negotiations to purchase the track have been terminated.

However, it is anticipated that the existing Houston Motorsports Park ownership will be ramping up their management team and that NASCAR stock car racing will resume at the track in the near future.

If further information is needed, please contact Tracy Trotter at ttrotter@calicocoatings.com.

And I see that one of the HMP Facebook admins has added the following to the post I posted on their Facebook page:

"As a result of this unfortunate situation, the NASCAR race scheduled for this Saturday, June 6, 2015, has been cancelled along with all remaining 2015 NASCAR Oval track race dates currently listed on the HMP website.

Due to this unforeseen situation and no back up sponsorship arrangements in place, the Baker family is not in a position to continue with the 2015 NASCAR Oval Track Program at this time.

ALL DRAG STRIP OPERATIONS WILL CONTINUE AS NORMAL"

We all feel very badly about Jim's accident and wish him a speedy recovery.

Hopefully things will settle down after a while and the Bakers will be able to make lemonade out of those lemons they were just handed.

Let's back Graham and the Baker family any way we can, OK?

Nick

I just took a break and came inside. I've been laying under my Stock Car trying to shim the mini-starter that I was headed to buy earlier today when I got the Facebook msg about HMP. I went ahead and got the starter (even though I didn't "need" it now ) and I've just changed my oil and I'm getting it ready to head to Houston Motorsports Park ASAP .... 1st and Foremost My Prayers are with Jim Beasley & his Family Get Well Soon ......and I am also thinking of the Bakers and how this must be a blow to their plans as well as all of the HMP Racers.

Archived