Taber Motorsports Small Time Racer

speedyjr23

Hope you get your funding, but just a word of warning on gofundme. The IRS monitors that site and you will get a tax bill next year for any money you receive, unless you've reported it as income. I'm not an accountant, but my CPA told me about that. Maybe some CPA's on here can clarify.

Hey man, here is a great idea. The Armed forces sponsor many Nascar teams and events. Why not hit the IRS up for sponsorship. They can promote their whistle blower program. There will probably be lots of racers snitching on each other, so maybe they will leave us hard working folks alone. You know, sort of a diversion tactic. What a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry... But I gotta tell ya how disappointing it is to see this process used in such a manner.

I have a bro n law (we are closer than brothers) who has been in and out of hospitals for the past 3 1/2 months. 4 months ago he was a very healthy 37 year old man, with a one year old daughter and 8 year old son, and my sister, a stay at home mom.

The healthy part changed when he had to have intestinal and colon surgery. A guy that never missed a day of work, and I mean never, has now only worked maybe a total of 4 weeks outta the last 4 months.

He is to proud to ask for anybody's help and hardly will accept it. Even as the bills pile up, existing and now medical.

I guess what I'm saying... Is morales, pride and ethic are squandered on some.

I fully expected to see a 14-15 year old kid on that page that cannot get steady work , really really wants to race and saw no other option besides gofundme.. Which would still not make it right, but maybe a little more understandable, for his age. Not a grown a-- man.

I've had lots and lots of help with my racing, way more than most people, and I'm very grateful for all of it. But I've also worked my ass of to race and earn (xtra money) to race with. I've never asked or expected some body to just 'pay for it'... The privilege of being able to race comes from labor.... And it's gotta start with you. Don't ask for charity to pay for your privilege... Go earn it

Sorry, had to say it.

Crazyhorse I have to I agree with you gofundme was founded to help those in special needs as I understand it .I don't know anything about this driver and what kind of work he can do .but surely doing some side work like I do will help him more and mean more ..i work on cars on the side even when i don't really want to to help our racing ..ill even mow someones yard or paint or what ever i can do to earn the money if needed ...as for your brother inlaw crazyhorse .hope he gets well and i do understand his not wanting help .but sometimes you have to take the help...speedyjr23 we are not heartless folks and i mean what i said with respect .i have not and never will ever hand over cash to those who take their kids to a corner with help us signs and do nothing for it .if they have a car wash or what ever to try and earn it .ill pull over and donate with out using their services ..have done that many times ..hope you good luck making it out .

This guy is looking for sponsors, he is not looking for a handout. I cannot think of a time that I have been to the track where racers were not looking for sponsors. Give the guy a break, he may not be as fortunate as the rich guys.

WE FEEL for him I need sponsors too and have lucky enough to beg some small amounts from em ...most of us need the help .gofundme to me isn't the way ...now if he was to point out what he needs I bet some one will donate or make it to where he can pay them off little at a time ...I will help with what ever I may have if any ..we need more cars on both and no one has come forward with that question .what does your car need .....

I tried to go out and get sponsors over and over and they all say have you won any championship and of course I say no because you have to have a lot of money to make every race and great equipment to do so. I do side jobs also but it's not enough when you have a new member in your family.I am also a single income guy. I need money to finish my engine is the most important thing I need right now, as far as the race car. And I understand about how you feel about gofundme and I tried everything I know to get sponsors but it even takes money or connections to get sponsors now days. :-( I been trying to race sense 2006.

I feel now I have to defend myself,
I wanted to race sense I was a kid. My dad saw that but he couldn’t afford to get me a go Kart so he when to find free metal that people are throwing away and built me a go Kart out of square tubing but could not afford an engine for it so he tied a rope around his waist and pulled me around, that was my racing when I was a kid. Then when I finally turned 16 and got a job and I worked and worked to save up to buy my own race car at age 19, I bought my first race car. I then tried to race at Kyle TX, Thunder Hill Raceway and because I had a front loop in my race car they made me race street stock with what should have been a thunder stock back then. I tried to race with no sponsors (that means work my ass off doing school and work). Then joined the Air Force and got to my first duty station and saw that this town totally support racing to I drove to San Antonio from New Mexico and got my race car and raced in New Mexico with no sponsors (doing side jobs). Then finally got little mom and pop sponsors $100 here and there. Then totaled it in 2003 and came back to San Antonio in 2004 and worked to save up for another race car and in 2006 I came across a guy with a race car he said I can work for to pay it off, so I worked building goat fences and fixing stuff (Handyman) at $10 hour to pay off a $3,500 race car with no engine. Then when I got the car I work and work to save money to build a pure stock engine just to get the car going. Then worked to get other parts for it piece by piece. Then in 2013 Pat Lyon took me under his wing and help me build the car for what it is today. I work side jobs to pay for everything on the car out of my own pocket, and it still has a pure stock engine in it. As you can see I have some sponsors on the car but no money sponsors. I feel lucky I have then. V&M Paint supply gave me paint, Speedway signs gave me stickers, Car Craft is Pat Lyon help me work on car, Wood Lake Body shop Painted my car with V&M Paint Supply paint, and about a year ago Matt Auto Services sponsor me a 350 block and 202 heads and that’s what I am trying to save and get sponsors to build up to be a top 5 street stock. I been trying and trying to get sponsors by asking every company that I run across and people if now any buddy that wants to sponsor a race car and writing emails and building a portfolio to send out to get sponsors and no luck. I understand how some of yawl fell about gofundme and yes 90% of them on this sight is for sick and dying people. I am just asking for sponsors because I have been working my ass off to pursue my passion to race. I not that lucky as some of yawl to have connections.

Rich guys.... I guess I'm pretty 'uppity' for my trailer park.
I made a decision, to race or to party. I don't party, I race.. I eat a lot of Bologna, it's been one day shy of a week since Ive had anything other than what I bought at the grocery store. It was a 1/4 pounder, it tasted like a New York strip.
I wear clothes clean out. I wear $35 dollar Walmart boots that are a pain in my ass, have for 15 years, one pair a year. Probably have done permanent damage. I don't even splurge on my own fire suit, Ive been wearing my brothers old one for four seasons ( hoping to get 5 out of it).
I don't really know you, I'm gonna try not to judge anybody's character. Just know the sacrifices I've made and are still making to race. Maybe it's something to look at.
... And I have had more opportunities than most, I'm not gonna lie. I come from a racing family: my dad builds race cars/trucks. I grew up with it. But nothing was a gimme. I'm at a very fortunate place now... But for 15 years I struggled to find help. When it didn't come I worked for it, when that wasnt enuff I sacrificed. And there are thousands like me, like us..
But, how ever you feel like going about it, more power to you. So do what you feel you have to do. Just remember, engines blow, cars get wrecked... It's an endless pit, and if you can't work the shovel you're not helping your situation.

Rich guys.... I guess I'm pretty 'uppity' for my trailer park.

I made a decision, to race or to party. I don't party, I race.. I eat a lot of Bologna, it's been one day shy of a week since Ive had anything other than what I bought at the grocery store. It was a 1/4 pounder, it tasted like a New York strip.

I wear clothes clean out. I wear $35 dollar Walmart boots that are a pain in my ass, have for 15 years, one pair a year. Probably have done permanent damage. I don't even splurge on my own fire suit, Ive been wearing my brothers old one for four seasons ( hoping to get 5 out of it).

I don't really know you, I'm gonna try not to judge anybody's character. Just know the sacrifices I've made and are still making to race. Maybe it's something to look at.

... And I have had more opportunities than most, I'm not gonna lie. I come from a racing family: my dad builds race cars/trucks. I grew up with it. But nothing was a gimme. I'm at a very fortunate place now... But for 15 years I struggled to find help. When it didn't come I worked for it, when that wasnt enuff I sacrificed. And there are thousands like me, like us..

But, how ever you feel like going about it, more power to you. So do what you feel you have to do. Just remember, engines blow, cars get wrecked... It's an endless pit, and if you can't work the shovel you're not helping your situation.

Quote of the day !! It's an endless pit ! That sums it up pretty well C.H,

Well you been hit on really hard with attacks from us over your choice using gofundme .. with so many folks out there with this Give me GIVE me entitlement mentality surely one could understand our distaste ..some of us are old school . and most of us have traveled the road you are now currently on .in fact my son over the years has been very lucky

and not have had to fight for every dollar it takes to race for if he had to he would have never raced he is lucky he has parents who help him out and not to mention friends who pitch in .we don't even own the car we have spent a ton of money in.. its a battle to tie the ends together to make it out to the track only to have problems not planed on .like motor issues and such .but its racing . and unlike you in your current travel we have been able to live our chosen dream or sport for a few years now not with out struggles late nights and sleepless nights .and trying to find that one more penny .cant afford the equipment we really need but count ourselves lucky enough ......ill commend you for trying asking is not always easy the drive to hit the track can be really painful when you cant ..some of us have forgotten that pain that drives you insane, to a point where we look down on others in their quest and the manner in which they chose or felt forced to succeed in it . good luck hope you get the help you need .ill add one more thought after all you seem to be level headed and easy going or am I speaking from the south end of a north bound jackass ..

I do not have anything to offer you other than wish you luck .a ton of folks read all of this and some are in agreement and disagreements on this subject ...you know what i disagreed with already ....i see someone who wants to race and am surprised that not one person out there has offered any help even if its old parts laying around they would not even use again ...some forgot how hard they had it when they started .i haven't even after 30 plus years ..one man stood alone in 1984 at riverside speedway in cc .he came up to me and pointed a few things out that could help me .HIS Name was Don Weatherspoon sorry if misspelled ... and from then on i have helped every one and anyone i could in some form or another ....and as long as i race and can help i will ...

Many folks look at go-fund me as a way to help those truly in need, those suffering catastrophic losses or find themselves in life-threatening situations. However, your go-fund-me ad was simply seeking money for your race car rather than some actual emergency situation. And, obviously, this didn't sit well with some.

As soon as I saw your ad, I knew it would generate some negative reactions, so checked this thread frequently. And, yes, there were some negative reactions to your ad, but if there were any bashes against you personally, they were removed promptly. What I left up was simply the other side of very controversial subject.

If you feel there are posts in this thread that are bashes against you personally (not just the idea of using go-fund-me to obtain sponsorship), please PM me with your concerns and I will have a look.

Nick

Archived